Carbs and sugar?

Options

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I always go over on my alotted numbers for carbs and sugar but thats because I eat alot of fruit. Is it still bad to go over or since it's from fruit is it ok? Does the body digest "natural" surgar and carbs better or is ther no such thing as "natural" sugars and carbs?

Fortunately, there are zillions of reliable sources available at our fingertips today for one to learn how the body processes glucose and fructose (sugar), insulin resistance, etc. The liver is the only organ that can metabolize fructose in any significant amount. The same is not true for glucose which can be found in every cell.

Excess fructose is converted to fat and is extremely dangerous.

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity Group
    And how does fructose get converted into fat and stored when people are at a calorie deficit?

If only there was a website where people could track their food so they knew how many calories they were consuming....

In a normal balanced diet I am sure it is unlikely sugar would be converted to body fat on a deficit, however I do not think it is impossible for the process to happen!
    Actually in a deficit it IS impossible. The only way sugar (or anything else) would be stored as fat is during a calorie surplus. Otherwise the body uses every calorie you eat, out of necessity.

Okay so you have full glycogen stores in your muscles and liver and you consume 1000 calories of sugar (no fat no protein) what happens to the sugar that has just hit the blood stream?

Also you are not burning it off with exercise!
    So no protein, no fat, all sugar, still in a deficit, no exercise.......however, where do you think your body is pulling energy from? How would glycogen stores be full when your body needs energy?

Ketones!
    What about ketones? You're saying that's what your body is using as energy? Even though you are providing it with carbs?

No - not in my unanswered question.

Your body will use ketones even on a high carb diet, but my use of the word ketones was just in response to your comment that the body must always be pulling its energy from the glycogen (and I read it that you thought it was the only or main source - at any activity level) - apologies if you didn't mean that.

It will to some degree, the the percentages of ketones and glycogen differ depending on diet and activity level.

In the question I have asked I am not including ketones.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Acetone!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I always go over on my alotted numbers for carbs and sugar but thats because I eat alot of fruit. Is it still bad to go over or since it's from fruit is it ok? Does the body digest "natural" surgar and carbs better or is ther no such thing as "natural" sugars and carbs?

Fortunately, there are zillions of reliable sources available at our fingertips today for one to learn how the body processes glucose and fructose (sugar), insulin resistance, etc. The liver is the only organ that can metabolize fructose in any significant amount. The same is not true for glucose which can be found in every cell.

Joanne Moniz
    And how does fructose get converted into fat and stored when people are at a calorie deficit?

If only there was a website where people could track their food so they knew how many calories they were consuming....

In a normal balanced diet I am sure it is unlikely sugar would be converted to body fat on a deficit, however I do not think it is impossible for the process to happen!
    Actually in a deficit it IS impossible. The only way sugar (or anything else) would be stored as fat is during a calorie surplus. Otherwise the body uses every calorie you eat, out of necessity.

Okay so you have full glycogen stores in your muscles and liver and you consume 1000 calories of sugar (no fat no protein) what happens to the sugar that has just hit the blood stream?

Glycogen is irrelevant. If you eat 1000 calories, the body will burn those for energy before turning to fat stores to make up the remainder of your TDEE. The human body doesn't store fat in a deficit. It shows a complete lack of understanding of biology to think otherwise, quite honestly.
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I keep it at a minimum since fructose(sugars from fruits)does not go your your muscles it stays in the liver and it might effect my performance at the gym even though you can get sugar from the liver if the body needs it. I try to stay from any fruit expect banana which has less fructose then most fruits. Calories is VS calories out is what matters what the end of the day anyways.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    I keep it at a minimum since fructose(sugars from fruits)does not go your your muscles it stays in the liver and it might effect my performance at the gym even though you can get sugar from the liver if the body needs it. I try to stay from any fruit expect banana which has less fructose then most fruits. Calories is VS calories out is what matters what the end of the day anyways.

:laugh:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Acetone!

acetyl-CoA!
  • sjohnny
    Options
    Acetone!

acetyl-CoA!

Accidental Culo!!!!
  • sjohnny
    Options
    I have learnt to live without sugar. I make coconut and almond balls bound with almond butter and dipped in dark 85 percent chocolate. There is no reason why you couldn't flavour with mint. They are tasty when you get used to them. It's worth checking our chocolate covered Katie I can make candies without sugar for about 6 grams of carbs.

:sick: :sick: :sick:

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!

Why don't you just wrap a leaf of kale around a brussels sprout and spray it with Binaca?
  • tigersword
    Options

Joanne Moniz

Glycogen is irrelevant. If you eat 1000 calories, the body will burn those for energy before turning to fat stores to make up the remainder of your TDEE. The human body doesn't store fat in a deficit. It shows a complete lack of understanding of biology to think otherwise, quite honestly.
    He does not believe that. He believes that somehow our bodies will not use those 1000 calories simply because they are sugar and somehow glycogen stores in the muscles and liver are at max. Somehow even though the diet is high carb the body will run on ketones.
    As I said, a lack of understanding of biology.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    What are you talking about?

Bananas.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Joanne Moniz

He does not believe that. He believes that somehow our bodies will not use those 1000 calories simply because they are sugar and somehow glycogen stores in the muscles and liver are at max. Somehow even though the diet is high carb the body will run on ketones.

I'm sorry, do you believe that on a high carb diet your body at some point will not be using ketones?

And no I do not believe that sugar will just sit in your blood stream for extended periods of time waiting to be used.

Some studies would be interesting if you have them?
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

Joanne Moniz

Exactly! Thank you for making that point... that is why it is less about quantity and more about quality

Joanne Moniz

Yeah, I don't think she was making your point. You also didn't answer her very simple question.

I bolded it for you. Though I know it's because you don't have an answer because it doesn't get stored as fat when eating at a deficit.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I have learnt to live without sugar. I make coconut and almond balls bound with almond butter and dipped in dark 85 percent chocolate. There is no reason why you couldn't flavour with mint. They are tasty when you get used to them. It's worth checking our chocolate covered Katie I can make candies without sugar for about 6 grams of carbs.

Coconut contains sugar (even the raw stuff).
    Almond butter (raw, natural) contains sugar.
    85% dark chocolate contains sugar.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

Sugar and carbs from fruit are fine. Unless you have some sort of adverse reaction to them. I always go over on sugar too, due to fruit adn sugar that are found naturally in food. It's the added sugars I try to avoid completely and what you should watch if you have an issue with sugar.

Here's my advice.. Figure out what combination or food /macros works for you and the way that works the best for you to meet those goals. There's a lot of differing opinions out there on good versus bad carbs. And it's easy to get lost in it.

I know what i can and can't eat to reach the goals I have for myself. That's what you need to figure out. I had to try a lot of things and alter a lot of things to get there. And I still have to tweak occasionally, as my goals change.
  • tigersword
    Options

Joanne Moniz

I'm sorry, do you believe that on a high carb diet your body at some point will not be using ketones?

And no I do not believe that sugar will just sit in your blood stream for extended periods of time waiting to be used.

Some studies would be interesting if you have them?
    How do you believe that glycogen stores will always remain full? Glycogen is in a constant state of use. Ketones are actually waste products until glycogen stores are exhausted, then the body will recycle ketones to use in place of the glucose. Glucose/glycogen are far more efficient energy sources, and are preferred. This is why it takes several days to adapt to a ketogenic diet, as the body must exhaust glycogen stores first.