Why in the world would a guy wear jeans at the gym???

Options
CanGirl40
CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
There is a guy at my gym who is in wicked shape. He's about 45, bald with a goatee. The kind of guy who could be a bouncer at a bar. He wears JEANS (fairly tight!) and a tank top when he works out, and I can't figure it out at all.

I can somewhat understand it if he were just doing weights, but he will even get on the stepper or elliptical and work up a sweat! I can't imagine how that would be in any way comfortable!

The last few times I've seen him, however, he is wearing SHORTS!!! I sooooooo want to ask him WHY he wears jeans sometimes but of course I don't have the nerve.

Then just yesterday a different guy was running on the treadmill next to me in jeans.

Am I missing something?????????????????? Please guys, fill me in if you have any insights!!! I've even googled it with no success! Help me to sleep at night as I ponder this mystery...:wink:

Replies

• pinkshiningstar
    pinkshiningstar Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Some people are just clueless.

But I do give him props for at least showing up at the gym!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    were they barbell apparel jeans?

It's a new brand that is online that is suppose to be comfortable enough to workout in...

I mean I have jeggins that I could workout in...I wouldn't as they are too big now but eh whatever floats their boat.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    OMG! I can't imagine wearing jeans to exercise!!

There was a guy at the last gym I belonged to at work and he would sit down on the workout mat and read the newspaper... ???
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Maybe he forgot his workout clothes at home but is dedicated enough to make do with whatever he had on at the time, just to get in his workout.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    When I belonged to XSport, I saw people on treadmills and ellipticals wearing swimsuits with khaki shorts, khaki pants, jeans and even a guy in jean overalls. Confused me too, but hey, whatever!
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Maybe he forgot his workout clothes at home but is dedicated enough to make do with whatever he had on at the time, just to get in his workout.

This was my first thought because I've done this before. I got strange looks from folks but I got my workout in all the same.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of the time my mom thought she'd try jogging. She told us she went running in jeans. My sisters and I have teased her about it for ten years. She even started a blog called, "I Run in Jeans."
  • beccas27
    beccas27 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I will work out in whatever! I have a FREE gym at work.. So I will go in there in my jeans & knee-high boots. I am not going to let my attire stop me.. I don't even think about what I am wearing.. Just wanna get in there & get the job done.. but that's my excuse.. So maybe he doesn't have time to change?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    Cause some guys don't squat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • poohbah4
    poohbah4 Posts: 127
    Options
    Oh, jeez. Let him wear whatever he wants. You aren't the clothing police!:angry:
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodybuildingdungeon.com/forums/bodybuilding-pictures/741-new-jay-cutler-pics.html

Look at the 4th picture in that link. Obviously the gentleman in question is a fan of Jay Cutler and wants to wear similar clothing.
  • outofworkpediatrician
    outofworkpediatrician Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    i think a person should workout in the cloths they feel comfortable in, not the cloths that make others comfortable. he wants to workout, feels comfortable in what he is wearing, and probably do not give a darn what you think!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Maybe that information is classified and you should just mind your own business before you find yourself in the middle of something WAY over your head.

Carry on. Nothing to see here, people. Go back to your homes and places of businesses.

/thread
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    i thought most gyms wouldn't let you wear jeans or jeans shorts because the buttons, etc. on them could potentially rip the vinlye on benches
  • holliehatesyou
    holliehatesyou Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    One of the rules on the wall at the Y is that you can't wear jeans. But people still do. I feel like maybe they're new and don't really know any different?

When I first started playing roller derby way back in 2004 (now retired from it), some of the girls would wear jeans to practice and I just didn't get it.
  • 120by30
    120by30 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine being so bothered by what other people are wearing to the gym.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I have witnessed many VERY fit, VERY strong people work out in jeans. You said he's in wicked shape. Perhaps, if you have time to watch, you should pay more attention to what he's actually doing and less to what he's wearing.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize judging clothing at a gym was a workout :laugh:

Seriously. It's not your business and it's not hurting you so why so judgy?
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    One of the rules on the wall at the Y is that you can't wear jeans. But people still do. I feel like maybe they're new and don't really know any different?

When I first started playing roller derby way back in 2004 (now retired from it), some of the girls would wear jeans to practice and I just didn't get it.

10 year retirement? How's the pension?