It should be required by federal law...

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else get as frustrated as I do when they go out to eat?
    Nope. I know how to use the Internet, though.
  • Mboyce824
    Mboyce824 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I have taken the time to print out the nutritional facts from the places I eat at the most. This helps, but you either need to carry them with you at all times (not realistic) or know ahead of time what you're going to eat and where (not always possible). Just wish they all put the calories on the menu, like they do in New York.:wink:
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    It's done here in California.

... only in chain restuarants with more than 20 locations. I was there last week and most places I went did not have it.

But in for the coddling with the information dump that most people will ignore. In California every single restaurant had a carcinogen warning and the end result is a popluation of inured people.

But if a carcinogen counting website ever catches on, California will be the state for dining out. Also, I've just bookmarked California's carcinogen list for the next time I find some new and bizarre ingredient on a list of whatever I'm planning to eat.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    The government regulates MANY things, including spending a half a trillion dollars on welfare and PROMOTING it through advertisement, and you are attacking my suggestion to mandate that all food have nutrition facts listed on it? alright then...

Your train of thought ... it BURNS!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

... only in chain restuarants with more than 20 locations. I was there last week and most places I went did not have it.

But in for the coddling with the information dump that most people will ignore. In California every single restaurant had a carcinogen warning and the end result is a popluation of inured people.

But if a carcinogen counting website ever catches on, California will be the state for dining out. Also, I've just bookmarked California's carcinogen list for the next time I find some new and bizarre ingredient on a list of whatever I'm planning to eat.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1143069-if-toxins-scare-you-stop-eating?
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I don't know how people ever went out to eat in the past and didn't end up morbidly obese. They must've had some kind of nutritional ESPN or something...

Just use some common sense! If you know the portion of food you're about to eat is huge and full of cream, fat, etc., just eat less and get a side of steamed veggies if you want more food. OR workout more so you have more calories to use for the day. This isn't rocket surgery people.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    The government regulates MANY things, including spending a half a trillion dollars on welfare and PROMOTING it through advertisement, and you are attacking my suggestion to mandate that all food have nutrition facts listed on it? alright then...

Federal government needs needs to GTFO. State Government as well.

Personal responsibility is where its at. Personal freedom to do as you want in the pursuit of happiness should be unfettered. YOU and only YOU should be responsible for your actions and consequences. But most people are too lazy to put forth the effort and gladly embrace the "nanny state". Screw that!
  • Jestinia
    Options

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1143069-if-toxins-scare-you-stop-eating?

Yes indeed, there are things that cause cancer which we cannot avoid, some foods have harmful chemicals in them before we start mucking around with them. Others have had harmful chemicals bred out by humans. Yay us! However, we should do what we can to keep our toxicity burden low. And that requires someone unbiased to do the research and publish the information as best they can.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

.... Demanding to know isn't out of line, ......

Demanding is well out of line and incredibly rude .. asking or requesting would be more polite and more likely to solicit a polite response... :frown:

Yes, because my country's history is replete with examples of workers and customers asking nicely and getting results!

*sarcasm in the extreme*

Owners of companies don't do things because they're asked. They have to be forced the vast majority of the time.

Oh, look, another crusader out to fight the good fight again evil chef owned restaurants everywhere . . . Those places prepare tasty food fresh from the market. We need to make sure we make their lives as difficult as possible. Let's create a new agency, a few new regulations, hey, why does the economy continue to suck again? I don't understand . . .

Our economy sucks because we allowed our jobs to be outsourced to every sweatshop running dictatorship on the globe.

It might not matter to you whether that pasta has 600 calories or 900, but for someone more sedentary with less than 300 calories between maintenance and weight loss or maintenance and weight gain it does matter.

Well if you are sedentary maybe you should stay out of restaurants and work on improving that aspect of your life. If you spent more time focusing on improving your health than you could go out to a nice dinner and enjoy it. But that requires getting off the couch and walking outside.

Stop blaming everyone else for your problems.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I don't know how people ever went out to eat in the past and didn't end up morbidly obese. They must've had some kind of nutritional ESPN or something...

Just use some common sense! If you know the portion of food you're about to eat is huge and full of cream, fat, etc., just eat less and get a side of steamed veggies if you want more food. OR workout more so you have more calories to use for the day. This isn't rocket surgery people.

But how else are you going to figure out that a blue cheese dressing laden fried chicken salad piled with bacon may not be the low cal option?
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options

Personal responsibility is where its at. Personal freedom to do as you want in the pursuit of happiness should be unfettered. YOU and only YOU should be responsible for your actions and consequences. But most people are too lazy to put forth the effort and gladly embrace the "nanny state". Screw that!
    ^^^Agree 100%. For people who need to be hand held, you have two options. First, only eat at places that display nutritional facts on their menu8es. If enough of you start doing this, the private market will take note and start doing this on their own. Second, break out your google machine and look it up for yourself.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

sigh.

The point went into geosync there.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    ...To have printed "Nutrition Facts" for every menu item in every restaurant in the country. It should be required to have it available either in print, at the front of the restaurant, or online for anyone to read. Does anyone else get as frustrated as I do when they go out to eat?

Umm, no. If you don't like it, don't eat at a place that doesn't post their facts, don't force the rest of us to pay for it. The Federal government should do what it's Constitutionally required to do, no more, and people like you are the reason we have government in every facet of our business, you and the rest of the know it all, busy bodies need to pack it in.

Rigger
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

Yes indeed, there are things that cause cancer which we cannot avoid, some foods have harmful chemicals in them before we start mucking around with them. Others have had harmful chemicals bred out by humans. Yay us! However, we should do what we can to keep our toxicity burden low. And that requires someone unbiased to do the research and publish the information as best they can.

I prefer not to subsidize your paranoia with my restaurant tab. How about I decide where I eat and you decide where you eat? The last thing I need is another BSC crusader telling me what I "should" do.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I will say this thread has made me really look forward to my Friday night dinner at my favorite Mom & Pop restaurant where they do not post nutritional information and the food is absolutely delicious.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

unbiased research to bolster your confirmation bias?
  • Jestinia
    Options

sigh.

The point went into geosync there.

Not really. I was pointing out that the two are different. I understand becoming inured to warnings. But that happens to people who can do little or nothing to change their situation for the better based on those warnings. When it comes to counting calories, sites like MFP allow us to use the provided information to benefit our health.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, isn't this fun???

shower-gif.gif
  • ChelseyDAdams
    Options
    By federal law?!?! Wow. It worries me when people just jump to the "make a law for it!" mentality. If anything, more government involvement causes more problems.

Yes, I would love to know the basic nutritional info for my food - mainly calories, but also sodium, protein, fat, sugar...etc would be nice. However, I eat out VERY rarely, so it certainly isn't an issue.

I suggest emailing the restaurants you frequent and suggest it to them, when you go there make a point to say something to the manager, and always ask if they have that information. Many times they have it if requested, but don't list it because, let's face it, seeing how many calories are really in a restaurant meal could deter people.

A government is not there to settle the nuances of society - and I certainly don't want to encourage the mentality that our gov't needs to force people to be responsible on their eating, that is a slippery slope.
  • spara0038
    spara0038 Posts: 226 Member
    Options

^^^Agree 100%. For people who need to be hand held, you have two options. First, only eat at places that display nutritional facts on their menu8es. If enough of you start doing this, the private market will take note and start doing this on their own. Second, break out your google machine and look it up for yourself.

^^ Why I only eat at home or at places that post their nutritional info either on their menu or online (yes, I'm smart enough to do that!). I vote with my wallet. I kinda wish they were required to though...