It should be required by federal law...

Replies

• Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member

.... Demanding to know isn't out of line, ......

Demanding is well out of line and incredibly rude .. asking or requesting would be more polite and more likely to solicit a polite response... :frown:

Yes, because my country's history is replete with examples of workers and customers asking nicely and getting results!

*sarcasm in the extreme*

Owners of companies don't do things because they're asked. They have to be forced the vast majority of the time.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member

Demanding is well out of line and incredibly rude .. asking or requesting would be more polite and more likely to solicit a polite response... :frown:

Yes, because my country's history is replete with examples of workers and customers asking nicely and getting results!

*sarcasm in the extreme*

Owners of companies don't do things because they're asked. They have to be forced the vast majority of the time.

Oh, look, another crusader out to fight the good fight again evil chef owned restaurants everywhere . . . Those places prepare tasty food fresh from the market. We need to make sure we make their lives as difficult as possible. Let's create a new agency, a few new regulations, hey, why does the economy continue to suck again? I don't understand . . .
  • Jestinia

*sarcasm in the extreme*

Oh, look, another crusader out to fight the good fight again evil chef owned restaurants everywhere . . . Those places prepare tasty food fresh from the market. We need to make sure we make their lives as difficult as possible. Let's create a new agency, a few new regulations, hey, why does the economy continue to suck again? I don't understand . . .

Our economy sucks because we allowed our jobs to be outsourced to every sweatshop running dictatorship on the globe.

It might not matter to you whether that pasta has 600 calories or 900, but for someone more sedentary with less than 300 calories between maintenance and weight loss or maintenance and weight gain it does matter.
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Wouldn't it be super difficult? You'd never be able to get ALL steaks EXACTLY the same size. Or weigh ALL potatoes to exactly 100g...While it is in theory a nice idea, it's practicality not. It might be nice to have a "this meal is around XXX cals". But you can easily do that at home if you add all ingredients separately. You might have to guesstimate, but you won't have it more accurate if the restaurant did it.
  • SunofaBeach14

*sarcasm in the extreme*

Our economy sucks because we allowed our jobs to be outsourced to every sweatshop running dictatorship on the globe.

It might not matter to you whether that pasta has 600 calories or 900, but for someone more sedentary with less than 300 calories between maintenance and weight loss or maintenance and weight gain it does matter.

Yes. Let's throw random nativist sentiment in here because yes, those damn foreigners competing with us is what the problem really is.

If it matters to you that much, then cook at home. Lazy people always want to make their problems everyone else's problems.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    ...To have printed "Nutrition Facts" for every menu item in every restaurant in the country. It should be required to have it available either in print, at the front of the restaurant, or online for anyone to read. Does anyone else get as frustrated as I do when they go out to eat?
    Yeah, and it would help if they held my hand and read the nutritional info for me so I know what a portion size is so I don't go over my fat grams.......hell yeah, hand holding rocks.

If I am going to be responsible for what goes into my mouth, I have to know what is going in. Demanding to know isn't out of line, nor is it asking for someone to hold my hand. Not being given the necessary information means either avoiding many restaurants or yes, advocating for laws that require nutrition info. Frankly, I'm much more concerned with pesticides, GMOs, and preservatives in our foods, but since so many of us in my country are fighting our weight, it would be good to know calories, too.

I would agree with you if we were being advise or forced to eat restaurant food...but we are not. These things are optional.

The majority of the people don't count calories. Maybe the government should pass regulations that require them to do so.

Maybe the government should pass regulations that require us to eat at restaurants...even if that means that you can't pay your bills.

I have a hard time believing that people are so upset that the government doesn't demand that privately owned restaurants are not forced into providing nutritional information (restaurants that you are not required to eat at). I guess that is more important than the men, women and especially the children that are going to bed at night and haven't met their daily nutritional needs.

I was walking down the street one day when I spotted a man rummaging through the trash can outside of a restaurant looking for something to eat...he found a half eaten sandwich...I doubt if he cared how many calories...GMOs...sodium...or anything else it had in it.

You have options...you can eat at that restaurant or not...the child that goes to bed hungry...hasn't got a choice.

The other thing...we yell and scream about government in our lives...until...it suits our needs...then we yell and scream because they won't step in.

People need to learn to make choices...think...walk away if something doesn't fit your life.

I am stopping now...I could rant and rave forever...this is a hot topic for me...I should have just kept my mouth shut!

I support people being responsible for their own decisions...many of us here chose to eat in an unhealthy manner...many of us take responsibility for that and have set out to correct that...without government doing it for us.
  • Jestinia

*sarcasm in the extreme*

Yes. Let's throw random nativist sentiment in here because yes, those damn foreigners competing with us is what the problem really is.

If it matters to you that much, then cook at home. Lazy people always want to make their problems everyone else's problems.

We don't want to compete with foreigners who have no worker rights and no environmental laws. We'd be fools to want to, since competing means ending up with the same lack of protections.

But thanks for trying to spin me as a racist. You've shown you aren't capable of civil discussion. Back on ignore you go.
  • SunofaBeach14

*sarcasm in the extreme*

We don't want to compete with foreigners who have no worker rights and no environmental laws. We'd be fools to want to, since competing means ending up with the same lack of protections.

But thanks for trying to spin me as a racist. You've shown you aren't capable of civil discussion. Back on ignore you go.

Makes a nativist comment and gets butt hurt for being called on it. I love the internet. My guess is that you don't have the education necessary for this discussion anyway.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,871 Member
    ...To have printed "Nutrition Facts" for every menu item in every restaurant in the country. It should be required to have it available either in print, at the front of the restaurant, or online for anyone to read. Does anyone else get as frustrated as I do when they go out to eat?
    Yeah, and it would help if they held my hand and read the nutritional info for me so I know what a portion size is so I don't go over my fat grams.......hell yeah, hand holding rocks.

If I am going to be responsible for what goes into my mouth, I have to know what is going in. Demanding to know isn't out of line, nor is it asking for someone to hold my hand. Not being given the necessary information means either avoiding many restaurants or yes, advocating for laws that require nutrition info. Frankly, I'm much more concerned with pesticides, GMOs, and preservatives in our foods, but since so many of us in my country are fighting our weight, it would be good to know calories, too.
    Well of course............we can only hope the USA can catch up to all those Countries with single digit obesity with their mandatory nutritional labeling on every single item consumed, including individual fresh items. It's amazing how backward Americans are in their knowledge of nutrition compared to say to France, Italy or Japan, right, we can only dream we gain the knowledge to become slimmer and of course since the introduction of nutritional labeling and it's increase over the years has helped the USA tremendously reduce obesity, so that makes sense, so don't worry, we're on the right track, we'll get there. Damn chefs and owners.......most can't cook and are thieves anyway.
  • Annie_01

*sarcasm in the extreme*

Don't you know...

It is always someone elses fault...

Always someone elses responsibility to fix it...

What??? You expect these people to think for themselves??? Make the right choices???

I eat (or at least try) low sodium because of high blood pressure. It does get discouraging when I read the labels of foods that I have always eaten. I sigh...shake my head...put it back on the shelf...keep searching for an alternative...or I do without it. I don't expect the world to change just for me...I can make my own choices.

Now if I choose to indulge in a high sodium food (which I do on occasion) then I take responsibility for that. I don't rant and rave about the food manufactures nor the restaurant that I CHOSE to eat at.

Anyway...It is all about them and their needs and good lord don't ask them to use their brains...shame on us...their lives are difficult enough without having to use their brains.

I will be quiet now...at least for a while...
  • Sun_Wukong
    Sun_Wukong Posts: 131

*sarcasm in the extreme*

Makes a nativist comment and gets butt hurt for being called on it. I love the internet. My guess is that you don't have the education necessary for this discussion anyway.
    :laugh: :drinker:
    Agreed! Also sounds like they enjoy the freedom to blame others for their lack of self control, moderation etc

Restaurants lack of nutritional values is not why the poster got overweight but somehow now they are responsible for their calorie allowance *smh*
  • Jestinia

Well of course............we can only hope the USA can catch up to all those Countries with single digit obesity with their mandatory nutritional labeling on every single item consumed, inincluding individual fresh items. It's amazing how backward Americans are in their knowledge of nutrition compared to say to France, Italy or Japan, right, we can only dream we gain the knowledge to become slimmer and of course since the introduction of nutritional labeling and it's increase over the years has helped the USA tremendousaly reduce obesity, so that makes sense.

Yes, we should hope that Pepsi and Coca Cola can get away with using more tainted water to make their products in this country as they do in other countries, too. Who needs those pesky consumer protections? Heavy metals are good for us, too.
  • SunofaBeach14

Well of course............we can only hope the USA can catch up to all those Countries with single digit obesity with their mandatory nutritional labeling on every single item consumed, inincluding individual fresh items. It's amazing how backward Americans are in their knowledge of nutrition compared to say to France, Italy or Japan, right, we can only dream we gain the knowledge to become slimmer and of course since the introduction of nutritional labeling and it's increase over the years has helped the USA tremendousaly reduce obesity, so that makes sense.

Yes, we should hope that Pepsi and Coca Cola can get away with using more tainted water to make their products in this country as they do in other countries, too. Who needs those pesky consumer protections? Heavy metals are good for us, too.

In to hear more about the lack of consumer protection laws in France, Italy, and Japan, where all those fat slobs who die of cancer at such high rates reside . . .
  • Jestinia
    I'm astonished at the number of Americans who not only want fewer rights and protections, they want to throw out the ones their predecessors fought so hard to attain, too. They also tend to be the same Americans who don't know how to debate but instead make personal attacks.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    no…

if restaurants want to that is fine ..and if they do not, then you as a consume have the option not to spend your money there ..
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Expensive? it would take about 2-4 hours (depending on menu size) to sit down with a menu and go through every item and calculate the totals. Then you could print out 1 copy for each table and laminate it and it could cost less than 50 bucks.

There is no excuse not to let your customers know whats in what they are eating.
    While I think it's a good idea for restaurants to include nutritional info, it COULD get expensive. If it's required by federal law, they may have to pay nutritionists to do it. What if the owner/ whoever sat down wasn't accurate? If they took this to a state level, then try would have to mark sure it's done right, correct? That means nutritionists would most likely be the ones to do this, and I can't imagine them doing it for free.
  • SunofaBeach14
    I'm astonished at the number of Americans who not only want fewer rights and protections, they want to throw out the ones their predecessors fought so hard to attain, too. They also tend to be the same Americans who don't know how to debate but instead make personal attacks.

I'm astonished by the number of people on the internet who lack a basic education in economics and seem to have never traveled outside of their own countries. Oh wait. No, I'm not.
  • Annie_01

*sarcasm in the extreme*

There's the problem...

Let's demand a regulation that requires people to be more active...no more sedentary...then it won't matter if that pasta has 600 or 900 calories...

because...

the government has a "Sedentary Regulation".

I think this would be more beneficial...force people to be more active...force gym membership,,,everyone must wear a pedometer...get those 10,000 steps in...daily check ins...that would lower the obesity rate...

Then we wouldn't have to be responsible...
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member

I'm astonished by the number of people on the internet who lack a basic education in economics and seem to have never traveled outside of their own countries. Oh wait. No, I'm not.

Well, you know what the answer to that problem is, don't you?
    That the federal government mandate that all MFP users take basic competency exams before using the forums.
    That way we can all pay for something that's currently free!

Oh! I smell a parody thread brewing...
  • Annie_01

Really??? There was a war fought for nutritional information to be provided by every restaurant???

YIKES! I must have slept through that history class.