It should be required by federal law...

Options

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    That said, I'm always sad to read that Americans have so little faith in their government. I have relatives in Germany and Japan and this may be due to my selection bias, but every time I travel to most other countries, when the government mandates that companies do something, people tend to think of the government standing against business for the good of the people. Basically, they think of the government AS the people ("we the people" and all that.) In the US, the (federal) government is some entity in a far away land ("DC") that's always up to no good. Again, probably selection bias since I'm comparing friends/relatives in Germany/Japan vs public posters here.

Yeah, and in Germany the government mandates who can get a higher education unless the family has the money to send people out of the country....awesome.

Americans are (or were) historically anti-government because we believe (or used to believe) in freedom of personal choice. With personal choice, comes personal responsibility. This is what we were founded on - and it's what many of us still believe in today. We have never been a culture that accepts a big brother government, so comparing us to Europe or Japan is apples and oranges.

While the government is (read: should be) "for the people" in certain respects, and while regulation is necessary in some areas, government spend is incredibly bloated as we continue to add whatever regulation du jour people want in the books. Using tax payer money and other government resources to enforce what appears on a restaurant menu is ridiculous when you think of myriad other more pressing priorities that need funds.
  • ellenlucy6
    ellenlucy6 Posts: 4
    Options
    (To the person saying its a 'first world' problem)
    I think you've fallen for the western construction of the 'third world' ....I'd hazard a guess and say all countries have restaurants and at least a few people counting calories. The construction is problematic because it reinforces that western ideals = development, which has generally been shown not to be the case, and even the terms used, first or third, is subtly reinforcing that richer countries are better.

Someone is in community college

I'm in England and am not sure what a community college is exactly, but I am studying politics at university if that's what you meant.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

It is true that any government we can't trust with menu regulations can't be trusted with guns, much less tanks and nukes.

Okay, now I need to go find something else to do!

4531-animateddoing_it_wronghardheadbangpartyparty_hardpianoscootaloo.gif
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    It's done here in California.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

For chain restaurants, with zero accountability or enforcement in terms of accuracy.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I think you've fallen for the western construction of the 'third world' ....I'd hazard a guess and say all countries have restaurants and at least a few people counting calories. The construction is problematic because it reinforces that western ideals = development, which has generally been shown not to be the case, and even the terms used, first or third, is subtly reinforcing that richer countries are better.

I'm in England and am not sure what a community college is exactly, but I am studying politics at university if that's what you meant.
    A community college/junior college is a smaller school where you can earn your associate's (two-year) degree or get certified in certain things like nursing, paralegal, etc.

In the US (maybe in the UK as well?), you spend your first two years getting your general ed requirements done (math, English 101, etc.). In a regular university, these are usually huge classes with assistant profs (grad students, generally) teaching them. A community college is cheaper, usually has smaller classes and you have someone who at least has a master's degree teaching the classes.

People say nasty things about community colleges because they're perceived as lesser (though really, they aren't).
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

Score . . .

Now, go live in a developing country and let me know if it's "better," no subtlety to it . . .
  • buzybev
    buzybev Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a first world problem to me.

there are restaurants in "developing" countries as well.

ETA: Oops. I guess others beat me to it! And I'm not really here for people who have so much to say about the conditions in "developing" countries but are mum on the role imperialism/colonialism plays.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

A community college/junior college is a smaller school where you can earn your associate's (two-year) degree or get certified in certain things like nursing, paralegal, etc.

In the US (maybe in the UK as well?), you spend your first two years getting your general ed requirements done (math, English 101, etc.). In a regular university, these are usually huge classes with assistant profs (grad students, generally) teaching them. A community college is cheaper, usually has smaller classes and you have someone who at least has a master's degree teaching the classes.

People say nasty things about community colleges because they're perceived as lesser (though really, they aren't).

We're all here for the same reason
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    It should be required by federal law....

that any exercise equipment be properly labeled with chart describing the exact calorie burn per unit time for people of different body types genders weights and body compositions. I think its ridiculous that we have all these gyms that don't tell me exactly how many calories I have burned on the power rack when I do a set of squats. Can't they just simply post a chart there for each exercise? Really it shouldn't just be gyms, I think all places where one could exercise should post calorie burn so that people can be better informed about exercise. I have a park near my house and they don't have one sign on the trail that winds through the park about how many calories you would burn if you walked, light jogged, or ran at various speeds around the course. Ridiculous.
  • ellenlucy6
    ellenlucy6 Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm not denying that average quality of life in developed countries is higher, just critiquing the use of the term 'first world'. Especially as it's usage here is showing how it has directly impacted peoples views to the extent they're implying that there are no restaurants in developing nations. We often see rural areas where standards of living are shocking in the media, and many people think of this if you're asked what first comes to mind if I say "Nigeria" for instance, we never see the cities and infrastructure that also exist.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    "Would be convenient," sure. "Ought to be a federal law..." That's just silly and intrusive.

Relax and eat your dinner. Or don't. But let's not go putting more laws out there to cover things that really aren't the government's responsibility. (I'm a diehard liberal who has a fairly expansive view of "governmental responsibility," but no one's making you eat at restaurants.)
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
    Sounds like a first world problem to me.

there are restaurants in "developing" countries as well.

ETA: Oops. I guess others beat me to it! And I'm not really here for people who have so much to say about the conditions in "developing" countries but are mum on the role imperialism/colonialism plays.

Losing is a *****
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
    I'm not denying that average quality of life in developed countries is higher, just critiquing the use of the term 'first world'. Especially as it's usage here is showing how it has directly impacted peoples views to the extent they're implying that there are no restaurants in developing nations. We often see rural areas where standards of living are shocking in the media, and many people think of this if you're asked what first comes to mind if I say "Nigeria" for instance, we never see the cities and infrastructure that also exist.

You do if you travel there . . .
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

I work at a non-profit research institute devoted to the development of treatments of diseases that plague the developing world. Let me be the first to say get off your politically correct high-horse with regards to using the term "first world". Political correctness...also a first world problem.
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I get frustrated when restaurants have special meals only prepped for X-amount of time. They don't hand out nutrional info for stuff like that. Trust me, I've asked.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I guess maybe the government should have us all on feeding tubes too.

Also, all you people crying BW3 aren't "real" wings or whatever, I am sure you like Pizza Hut or McDonald's or Don Pablo's. Don't let your obsession with "authenticity" stand in the way of you and Spicy Garlic sauce, mmkay?
    Actually, no.

Does Don Pablo's even exist anymore?

Actually, no what? Food snobbery is ridiculous. I prefer non-chains where food is treated with consideration, but arguing that somebody shouldn't like BW3 because "OH MY GOD, COME TO BUFFALO". Just no.

And yes, yes they do.
    OMG.

It was a freaking joke.

But, no, I generally don't eat at those places you mentioned on purpose because if I'm going to spend money on food, I want it to taste good.

And, also, there are plenty of places outside of Buffalo that have fabulous wings. BWW isn't one of them.

OMG what was a joke?

Because I was saying it's silly to claim that x chain that sells x food isn't "good" or "real" because they aren't as good as x local place because we're talking about food, which is a matter of taste and experience.
    I've seen at least 100 times around here someone talk about a chain restaurant and someone else come in and make a tongue-in-cheek statement about the food there not being good and everyone either laughs along or brushes it off or even agrees. I make a tongue-in-cheek statement about chain restaurant wings not being very good and it's WWIII.

Interesting.

Would you say BW3 is the "community college" of wingaries?

Oh this day...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Oh this day...

Um ... I don't even know what you're trying to say.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

Oh this day...

Um ... I don't even know what you're trying to say.

Wingeries are like colleges, they're all equally good . . .
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    It would be very helpful if they had the information online if nothing else. I know Taco Bell, McDonalds, Outback and Applebee's do. I have been known to very carefully plan what I was going to eat when going to them thanks to that. :D
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
    It would be very helpful if they had the information online if nothing else. I know Taco Bell, McDonalds, Outback and Applebee's do. I have been known to very carefully plan what I was going to eat when going to them thanks to that. :D

^ the best of the best, as we all know