It should be required by federal law...

Options

Replies

• gmove
    gmove Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Research your dining choice before you arrive.
    If nutritional info. is not available, you have the right to go elsewhere.

And producing the nutritional info. is expensive, time consuming, and for some businesses accuracy is an issue.

Accuracy being a big reason why most restaurants include a disclaimer about the accuracy of each specifc meal for each and every customer.
  • thomregan
    thomregan Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    On the one hand, I really love having that info available, on the other hand, it's a huge pain in the *kitten* for small businesses, and I'd be surprised if the recipes would be followed closely enough for the info to remain accurate.

If I'm going out to eat, I just try to order the healthiest thing available and estimate the calories, rounding up severely to make sure I err on the side of caution.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Expensive? it would take about 2-4 hours (depending on menu size) to sit down with a menu and go through every item and calculate the totals. Then you could print out 1 copy for each table and laminate it and it could cost less than 50 bucks.

There is no excuse not to let your customers know whats in what they are eating.

Completely in "I could be wrong" territory here, but I thought the requirement was that for nutritional facts to be listed, the item had to be analysed by a lab and within a certain margin of error, not just worked out on paper.

This. Your waiter doesn't just get to go in the back and make up the calorie counts. Any law is going to have strict requirements that involve spending money.
  • jdb3388
    jdb3388 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Seriously? You are attacking THIS of all things? The government regulates MANY things, including spending a half a trillion dollars on welfare and PROMOTING it through advertisement, and you are attacking my suggestion to mandate that all food have nutrition facts listed on it? alright then...

Moving right along. When food is packaged and distributed it has to be lab tested for nutritional value. When it is a matter of assembling a meal out of items that have been lab tested for nutritional value you do not have to re-test them, you just have to add them up.
  • afortunatedragon
    afortunatedragon Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Which will ends up in more and more restaurants will not cook fresh anymore but use ready prepared and labeled ingredients.
    Absolutely a big NO here.
    Find restaurants you trust to cook fresh and ask the cook what is in the meal. If he can't answer immediately, don't go there anymore.
    Don't really get the problem
  • hirstrl
    hirstrl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Moving right along. When food is packaged and distributed it has to be lab tested for nutritional value. When it is a matter of assembling a meal out of items that have been lab tested for nutritional value you do not have to re-test them, you just have to add them up.[/quote]

agree
  • nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Expensive? it would take about 2-4 hours (depending on menu size) to sit down with a menu and go through every item and calculate the totals. Then you could print out 1 copy for each table and laminate it and it could cost less than 50 bucks.

There is no excuse not to let your customers know whats in what they are eating.

2-4 hours? My brother is a chef and it would take him days to get this information together. It still wouldn't be very useful because he works at an upscale restaurant and they don't follow recipes. They don't weigh and measure (except for meat and fish cuts). Plus, what about daily specials that my brother makes up on the spot? Is he supposed to not offer them because of a law?

It's just not feasible. If you don't want your fish cooked in a stick of butter, don't go to Le Bernardin.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Seriously? You are attacking THIS of all things? The government regulates MANY things, including spending a half a trillion dollars on welfare and PROMOTING it through advertisement, and you are attacking my suggestion to mandate that all food have nutrition facts listed on it? alright then...

Moving right along. When food is packaged and distributed it has to be lab tested for nutritional value. When it is a matter of assembling a meal out of items that have been lab tested for nutritional value you do not have to re-test them, you just have to add them up.

So the restaurants you go to don't use any fresh produce or fish etc? All use lab tested ingredients in their dishes?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

Not attacking - I said I actually would like nutritional information and I live somewhere were it IS required for chains, bigger restaurants, etc. but I can also see where it would harm the smaller businesses because you know government (and I work for the government ).
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    On the one hand, I really love having that info available, on the other hand, it's a huge pain in the *kitten* for small businesses, and I'd be surprised if the recipes would be followed closely enough for the info to remain accurate.

If I'm going out to eat, I just try to order the healthiest thing available and estimate the calories, rounding up severely to make sure I err on the side of caution.

This.

You think the chef's and cook's portion and weigh out every single ingredient? Do you have any idea how badly they would kill wait times during peak hours?
  • jdb3388
    Options
    Which will ends up in more and more restaurants will not cook fresh anymore but use ready prepared and labeled ingredients.
    Find restaurants you trust to cook fresh and ask the cook what is in the meal. If he can't answer immediately, don't go there anymore.

It's a problem because I don't want to stop eating at certain restaurants I like. I don't want to quit eating their food, I want them to provide Nutrition information.
  • llama_sammich
    llama_sammich Posts: 124
    Options
    I disagree. Most restaurant owners opened up their business because of a love for food. Not because they want to spend hours researching nutrition facts for people that count their calories. Most people don't do that, so I can't agree with you on this at all. It's YOUR diet and, therefore, YOUR responsibility to research what you put into your body. Not the restaurateurs'.

I would like to add that most GOOD restaurants will opt to use fresh ingredients bought locally. So not a bunch of lab-tested, pre-packaged junk. They'll make their own pasta, not boil up some pre-cooked hardened crap. Turning good restaurants into science labs takes away from the experience.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

It's a problem because I don't want to stop eating at certain restaurants I like. I don't want to quit eating their food, I want them to provide Nutrition information.

If you're choosing what restaurant dishes you order by nutritional info, you're doing it wrong
  • WaKay
    WaKay Posts: 314
    Options
    As much as it annoys me to not have the info at all, it really ticks me off when they give me the info printed in 2 point font.

I usually go online and get nutrition info before i get there.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    It should be that way for the chain restaurants.
  • jdb3388
    Options

If you're choosing what restaurant dishes you order by nutritional info, you're doing it wrong

No? That's part of being conscious of what you put into your body. I'm not saying that you look at the nutrition facts and say "no i can never have that" or "This is what I have to eat every time I come here" but I am saying that if you know what you are eating then you can plan the rest of the meals during your day to line up with what you are eating at that particular meal. Because after all, the thing that all of us are doing here (on this site) is trying to keep up with calories.
  • BaristaX
    BaristaX Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    ...To have printed "Nutrition Facts" for every menu item in every restaurant in the country. It should be required to have it available either in print, at the front of the restaurant, or online for anyone to read. Does anyone else get as frustrated as I do when they go out to eat?

since I don't know you, I will have to ask, do you cook for yourself or do you usually go out for most of your meals?

when I usually go out and eat at restaurants, I don't really care about the nutritional facts, nor am I telling you that you shouldn't care either, I just order and eat what I really enjoy because the way I see it, going out to eat, is like having a treat, why would anyone skimp out on a treat?
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

Sadly...they are not in business to cater to your needs. The majority of people don't count calories...even those that need to.

If they were to provide what you are requesting...the cost of dining at that restaurant would increase...thus possibly costing them the loss of business due to affordability.

The majority of the people on MFP count calories...the majority of the people in the world...don't.
  • jdb3388
    Options
    ...To have printed "Nutrition Facts" for every menu item in every restaurant in the country. It should be required to have it available either in print, at the front of the restaurant, or online for anyone to read. Does anyone else get as frustrated as I do when they go out to eat?

since I don't know you, I will have to ask, do you cook for yourself or do you usually go out for most of your meals?

when I usually go out and eat at restaurants, I don't really care about the nutritional facts, nor am I telling you that you shouldn't care either, I just order and eat what I really enjoy because the way I see it, going out to eat, is like having a treat, why would anyone skimp out on a treat?

Again, it is not to dictate what I can and cant eat. It is so that I will know, after I treat myself, how many more calories I have available that day or week. Planning is the most important thing about keeping inside your calorie count goals. If I know how many calories something has, it makes it possible to plan.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    No? That's part of being conscious of what you put into your body. I'm not saying that you look at the nutrition facts and say "no i can never have that" or "This is what I have to eat every time I come here" but I am saying that if you know what you are eating then you can plan the rest of the meals during your day to line up with what you are eating at that particular meal. Because after all, the thing that all of us are doing here (on this site) is trying to keep up with calories.

Last time I looked the site was called "myfitnesspal" not "my'weigthlosspal"......not everyone here wants to lose weight

If you can't occasionally go out and enjoy a meal based solely on the quality of the food, the service / presentation and the ambiance of the restaurant you're overthinking it.......