It should be required by federal law...

Options

Replies

• FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    While I'm not sure of the feasibility of nutrition information across the board for all restaurants, there is definitely more they could do to make health conscious patrons feel more welcomed. Clearly marking dishes that are below a certain calorie threshold or could be easily modified to be under that threshold, making substitutions for sides easy (and plainly written, like "your choice of steamed broccoli, cucumber salad, or grilled corn could replace any side listed on our entrees") or offering half size portions of popular dishes.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    LOL at it only taking a few hours to figure up nutritional information!! Working for a small-ish chain of restaurants, I know this is far from the truth! Plus, the places that do provide this information are so far off it's probably not even worth paying attention to their numbers. A kid with a heavy hand throwing cheese on a pizza can put off calorie counts by hundreds.
  • Ttlklutz
    Ttlklutz Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    This is a little left field here but still has to do with laws and nutrition. So i was at urgent care about a month ago and something came on the TV in the waiting room saying that it has been proposed for nutritional labels to be changed. One of the first changes would be for the calories to be in bigger font, the narrator said something along the lines of many americans dont know what number they are looking for and are easily confused or something to that affect, the said a few more things but the only other piece of imformation that caught my attention is that they are thinking about changing the seving sizes to "standard american portions" so instead of half a cup of icecream the serving size and calories would reflect half the bucket, instead of one ounce of chips the whole bag. I literally sat there with my mouth agape.

Any one else hear of this?

Sorry that is off topic :)
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    This is a terrible idea.

None of the restaurants I frequent have nutritional information because they are not chains; they are small family run businesses using fresh ingredients that change regularly (ie, farm to table style places, authentic Indian, Vietnamese, Thai). You know what I do? I make most of my meals at home using a food scale so that I know what I am eating without the government needing to step in and regulate things that don't need regulation. And then I go out on a Friday night and enjoy a nice meal without asking questions (plus making my meals at home gives me a much better idea of how to estimate calories).
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Seriously? You are attacking THIS of all things? The government regulates MANY things, including spending a half a trillion dollars on welfare and PROMOTING it through advertisement, and you are attacking my suggestion to mandate that all food have nutrition facts listed on it? alright then...

Moving right along. When food is packaged and distributed it has to be lab tested for nutritional value. When it is a matter of assembling a meal out of items that have been lab tested for nutritional value you do not have to re-test them, you just have to add them up.

The government regulates way too much as it is, how about we have some personal responsibility. You don't have to go out to eat, you make the choice read the description make a decision if it's worth your calories or not. Having the government mandate this would cost more money to restaurants in turn raising the cost for us.

I have some severe food allergies so when I go out I take personal responsibility to ask if I'm unsure of the ingredients because it's my choice to go out, they aren't responsible for my healthy, I AM!
  • afortunatedragon
    afortunatedragon Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Which will ends up in more and more restaurants will not cook fresh anymore but use ready prepared and labeled ingredients.
    Absolutely a big NO here.
    Find restaurants you trust to cook fresh and ask the cook what is in the meal. If he can't answer immediately, don't go there anymore.
    Don't really get the problem

It's a problem because I don't want to stop eating at certain restaurants I like. I don't want to quit eating their food, I want them to provide Nutrition information.

Look, if you prefer certain restaurants, you just have to live with the fact, that you don't know, what you put into your mouth.
    If i go to my two, three restaurants and I order (for example) cod with veg and boiled potatoes I KNOW that I get exactly this.
    The math I can do myself.
    Or go and order only stuff you see exactly what it is.
    A surf and turf will and can only always be a surf and turf :wink:
  • PrincessPeacock
    PrincessPeacock Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Recipes are usually used as a general guide in restaurants. It depends on who's cooking as to exactly your food is prepared. Bob may oil the pan but Sally may use butter. Bob may season a little more heavily. Nothing is exact and for that reason I think many restaurants avoid publishing nutritional information for that reason. People can try and sue you for anything these days. It would be nice to have printed information available but honestly the nutritional information could vary drastically from plate to plate.
  • jdb3388
    jdb3388 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    No? That's part of being conscious of what you put into your body. I'm not saying that you look at the nutrition facts and say "no i can never have that" or "This is what I have to eat every time I come here" but I am saying that if you know what you are eating then you can plan the rest of the meals during your day to line up with what you are eating at that particular meal. Because after all, the thing that all of us are doing here (on this site) is trying to keep up with calories.

Last time I looked the site was called "myfitnesspal" not "my'weigthlosspal"......not everyone here wants to lose weight

If you can't occasionally go out and enjoy a meal based solely on the quality of the food, the service / presentation and the ambiance of the restaurant you're overthinking it.......

Counting calories isn't always about losing weight. People who want to gain, and maintain also count calories so they will know were they stand as far as meeting their goal, whatever that goal may be.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    This is a little left field here but still has to do with laws and nutrition. So i was at urgent care about a month ago and something came on the TV in the waiting room saying that it has been proposed for nutritional labels to be changed. One of the first changes would be for the calories to be in bigger font, the narrator said something along the lines of many americans dont know what number they are looking for and are easily confused or something to that affect, the said a few more things but the only other piece of imformation that caught my attention is that they are thinking about changing the seving sizes to "standard american portions" so instead of half a cup of icecream the serving size and calories would reflect half the bucket, instead of one ounce of chips the whole bag. I literally sat there with my mouth agape.

I think they wanted to change it to reflect the whole meal instead of a serving size. Like...you show the calories for a whole pizza instead of a fourth of a pizza.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten at a chain restaurant in years, but don't most of them already have nutrition info online?

I probably spend 10-15 minutes a day figuring out nutritional information for the dinner I cook for my family of 5 by the time I weigh everything, enter it, and portion it out. My favorite local restaurant has several daily specials based on what they get fresh, and each meal is cooked separately "with love." Any general estimate they'd give would probably not be much better than what I can estimate myself.

My vote is no on a law. I'd rather enjoy the chef's creativity and practice my own eating-in-moderation skills.
  • FireOpalCO
    Options

I think that "american portion" thing has to do with containers that are smaller but are listed as 2 or more servings: pints of ice cream, smaller sizes bags of chips, 20 ounce sodas, etc. People are normally having them in one go, not portioning them out (okay, we do also share with friends, but still).
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Which will ends up in more and more restaurants will not cook fresh anymore but use ready prepared and labeled ingredients.
    Find restaurants you trust to cook fresh and ask the cook what is in the meal. If he can't answer immediately, don't go there anymore.

It's a problem because I don't want to stop eating at certain restaurants I like. I don't want to quit eating their food, I want them to provide Nutrition information.

The other option you do have if it's a restaurant you frequent regularly, is how about you ask them if they do have this information. Again taking personal responsibility.
  • spmcavoy1
    spmcavoy1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options

Because, you know, it IS all about you...

Is it annoying?
    Yes.
    Should it be required?
    F No!

HOW often are you going out to eat that this is affecting your total progress?

And, I'm pretty sure that you can tell what is and isn't good for you....
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    We have standards for things...
    Watched the guy at Arbys the other day weigh the roast beef for each sandwich. They have to be within 0.2oz.
    The gal at Dominos places 1 ladle of sauce on a small pizza, and counts out the number of pepperonis.
    The guy at the deli weighs all the meat he slices.
    The bakery chef can tell you just how exact he has to be to make bread.
  • jdb3388
    Options

I think they wanted to change it to reflect the whole meal instead of a serving size. Like...you show the calories for a whole pizza instead of a fourth of a pizza.

I've been wanting this for years. How many people do you know that eat 1 third of a candy bar? Or 1 slice of pizza? This is especially terrible on canned goods. I believe that all labels should list how much of each thing is in the entire container and do away with "serving size" and "servings per container" entirely. For those who either don't know, or those who do know but are just in a hurry, its very shady to put "15 calories per serving" and "contains 42 servings" on the same package of something that it is MOST COMMON to eat all of in one sitting.
  • MissLeelooDallas
    MissLeelooDallas Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting this for years. How many people do you know that eat 1 third of a candy bar? Or 1 slice of pizza? This is especially terrible on canned goods. I believe that all labels should list how much of each thing is in the entire container and do away with "serving size" and "servings per container" entirely. For those who either don't know, or those who do know but are just in a hurry, its very shady to put "15 calories per serving" and "contains 42 servings" on the same package of something that it is MOST COMMON to eat all of in one sitting.

^ That right there is my biggest pet peeve. Granted, I love it when restaurants give you nutritional info, I also understand when local places don't. It sucks, but it usually doesn't dictate where I'll be eating. The thing I hate is definitely misleading labels. I hate when it's a candy bar and it has "2 servings per container" or some garbage like that. Same goes for large cans of soda. Did they really think I bought the Monster Energy can and I'll drink a third now, a third tomorrow and a third the next day? No way! Gross! I also was annoyed with Jimmy John's "light" chips the other day when I realized they were "2 servings" per small bag. They need to just put the full total on things like that. They should probably also realize most people eat more than 1/2 cup of ice cream as a serving, haha.
  • spmcavoy1
    spmcavoy1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options

Actually, any of them do list the servings per container, for containers that will likely be consumed in one sitting (soda, smaller bag of chips).

Honestly, I do only eat one or two slices of pizza. And, FFS, 1/3 of a candy bar isn't listed (ETA: regluar size, not king) . In the VAST majority of them, the entire bar is listed. Most of the serving sizes are pretty close to what a SERVING should be - one slice of pizza, 1/2 cup of ice cream (which is about a scoop), 1oz chips, 2-4 cookies, etc. Don't exaggerate because you don't want to get out your measuring cups or have any personal responsibility. Just because you're trying to lose weight doesn't mean you're entitled to new laws and new packaging requirements....
  • jdb3388
    Options

Actually, any of them do list the servings per container, for containers that will likely be consumed in one sitting (soda, smaller bag of chips).

Honestly, I do only eat one or two slices of pizza. And, FFS, 1/3 of a candy bar isn't listed (ETA: regluar size, not king) . In the VAST majority of them, the entire bar is listed. Most of the serving sizes are pretty close to what a SERVING should be - one slice of pizza, 1/2 cup of ice cream (which is about a scoop), 1oz chips, 2-4 cookies, etc. Don't exaggerate because you don't want to get out your measuring cups or have any personal responsibility. Just because you're trying to lose weight doesn't mean you're entitled to new laws and new packaging requirements....

You are picking apart what I said. Stop doing that. MOST people eat an entire candy bar, an entire bag of chips (small bag) and drink an entire can or bottle of soda. You are being obtuse. What the label refers to as a serving size is, in the vast majority of cases, much less than what one person would eat.
  • FireOpalCO
    Options

We aren't the ones requiring new laws or packaging requirements. The review of packaging is a pretty regular thing the Federal government does to make sure companies are being honest with consumers. Having a bag of chips sold with a sandwich listed as "two servings" in tiny print could be considered deceptive. Same thing with a 20 ounce soda being "2.5 servings".

We aren't exaggerating, this is what is being reported as the change. Just because you don't agree with the change, doesn't "entitle" you to get all snarky.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Places send representative food samples to a lab where it's tested using either a calorimeter, or they break it down into carbs, protein and fat and weighing it.

It's apparently fairly expensive to do, which is why there's so much pushback on it.

Having said that it sure would be nice.

But most people would ignore it anyhow.