It should be required by federal law...

Replies

• SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    so only go to restaurants with nutrition information
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    I am honestly okay with my health being my own personal responsibility and not the mandate of the government to regulate.

Do I appreciate nutritional information when I go out? Sure...in fact I might actually patronize a given location because it provides nutritional information. Should that nutritional information be held accountable to be accurate? Sure, things like better business bureaus and the FDA should have some oversight. Should it be mandated that anyone who sells food provide nutrition info? No.
  • spmcavoy1
    spmcavoy1 Posts: 60 Member

You are picking apart what I said. Stop doing that. MOST people eat an entire candy bar, an entire bag of chips (small bag) and drink an entire can or bottle of soda. You are being obtuse. What the label refers to as a serving size is, in the vast majority of cases, much less than what one person would eat.

You're right, I kind of am - mostly because of other things you have said in this thread - I'm carrying over my bias.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Honestly, I do only eat one or two slices of pizza. And, FFS, 1/3 of a candy bar isn't listed (ETA: regluar size, not king) . In the VAST majority of them, the entire bar is listed. Most of the serving sizes are pretty close to what a SERVING should be - one slice of pizza, 1/2 cup of ice cream (which is about a scoop), 1oz chips, 2-4 cookies, etc. Don't exaggerate because you don't want to get out your measuring cups or have any personal responsibility. Just because you're trying to lose weight doesn't mean you're entitled to new laws and new packaging requirements....

We aren't the ones requiring new laws or packaging requirements. The review of packaging is a pretty regular thing the Federal government does to make sure companies are being honest with consumers. Having a bag of chips sold with a sandwich listed as "two servings" in tiny print could be considered deceptive. Same thing with a 20 ounce soda being "2.5 servings".

We aren't exaggerating, this is what is being reported as the change. Just because you don't agree with the change, doesn't "entitle" you to get all snarky.
    See, thing is, the serving size is what the manufacturer is telling you is an appropriate amount to eat in one... serving.

The new law is actually more of a capitulation. At the end of the day you still have to eat what's appropriate to either lose or maintain weight. Just because people eat a whole bag of chips doesn't mean it's right.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Sounds like a first world problem to me.

+1
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    It should be tattooed on women's rear ends too.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    ...To have printed "Nutrition Facts" for every menu item in every restaurant in the country. It should be required to have it available either in print, at the front of the restaurant, or online for anyone to read. Does anyone else get as frustrated as I do when they go out to eat?

NO NO NO NO NO

Let me repeat, NO!!!!!!

The government already has to many regulations and requirements for businesses. Let the consumer tell the restaurants what they want by spending money their. If restaurants finds less people eating there because they do not have nutritional information then they will make a change and get nutritional information.

Bottom line is, the majority of us that use this site are not the majority so it probably would not happen without government intervention. So it will not happen and I am fine with that. I realize I am not the majority and the minority should NEVER get to force their views on the majority. Of course that isn't what is happening this day and age, but hopefully there is still time to reverse the trend.
  • Aaron_K123
    I actually consider myself to be a pretty liberal person but yeah in terms of this level of regulation I'm against it. I see no need to require that businesses post accurate nutritional information because then each and every one would have to be regulated to ensure that the information they post is accurate otherwise it would be useless. That is way to much regulation.

That level of regulation for your health is your responsibility, not the restaurants, not the governments.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    And, I'm pretty sure that you can tell what is and isn't good for you....

So, I ate at an Italian restaurant the other night. How do YOU know which of their sauces if any have less than 50% of my daily saturated fat or sodium? Same for scrambled eggs. Same for chicken sandwiches.
  • Aaron_K123

So, I ate at an Italian restaurant the other night. How do YOU know which of their sauces if any have less than 50% of my daily saturated fat or sodium? Same for scrambled eggs. Same for chicken sandwiches.

How does the government know?
  • outofworkpediatrician
    outofworkpediatrician Posts: 43 Member
    I haven't eaten at a chain restaurant in years, but don't most of them already have nutrition info online?

I probably spend 10-15 minutes a day figuring out nutritional information for the dinner I cook for my family of 5 by the time I weigh everything, enter it, and portion it out. My favorite local restaurant has several daily specials based on what they get fresh, and each meal is cooked separately "with love." Any general estimate they'd give would probably not be much better than what I can estimate myself.

My vote is no on a law. I'd rather enjoy the chef's creativity and practice my own eating-in-moderation skills.

you are right that many people who diet look up nutritional info online before they go, but even then sometimes you are caught with some unexpected set backs. for example, once when we went to TGI Fridays, i ordered fish as i looked up and found that to be lower calorie fitting my goal. my son ordered steak fries as side thinking that it is something to do with steak, and it was large fried wedges of potato. he did not eat it, and as we were talking, i eat it and assumed it will have calories like fries. it turned out, a side of potato fries there is 250 or so calories, but the steak fries are 660 calories! had i known that, i wouldn't have eaten it. knowledge is power, and the restaurants can help us be powerful by giving us calorie information, so we can make informed decisions.
  • afortunatedragon
    afortunatedragon Posts: 329 Member

This sounds pretty awful to think about this each and every time even on a fun night out. :frown:
  • outofworkpediatrician
    outofworkpediatrician Posts: 43 Member

OPs point is, government can make them tell us.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Or you could just take personal responsibility for what you shove in your gob.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member

And it's not the governments place to do this. If everyone is so worried about it and can't go out to enjoy 1 meal stay home and cook
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member

Please stay away from my chef owned and operated restaurants. Some of us manage to stay fit and healthy without stressing over every damn ingredient. I love the, "hey I haven't paid any attention to my health in decades but now I care so I have to know everything" mentality on here.
  • ksuh999
    It's really hard to do that without the proper information.

I see the OP's point.

America's overweight/obesity problem has gotten to the point where you guys will have to do some drastic, very costly measures to keep your population from dying early.

I was in LA in March and was shocked at the sheer number of fat people. I think I was the skinniest guy in Disneyland! What really broke my heart were the number of young children I saw that were overweight.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    No. If they don't provide it and you're not capable of doing a rough estimate, don't eat there.

I find it a bit frustrating that people think they should have the right to dictate how a private establishment conducts its business.

Next you'll want to force every restaurant to weigh and measure each ingredient in each of it's dishes and then weigh out the portions just so that nutritional information is even more accurate.

Complete strangers are not responsible for your weight loss efforts.
  • ksuh999
    No. If they don't provide it and you're not capable of doing a rough estimate, don't eat there.

I find it a bit frustrating that people think they should have the right to dictate how a private establishment conducts its business.
    What's your opinion on the myriad of regulations regarding safe food handling? And employee rights?
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    It's really hard to do that without the proper information.

No it's not .. don't know what's in it ? .. Don't eat it if you are that worried about a single meal.

Your body YOUR choice. It's NO ONE else's responsibility. Keep the government doing the job they are paid for, not baby sitting.