Cows milk vs almond milk

Options

Replies

• Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    There is no propaganda about cow's milk. No animal other than humans consume milk after infancy.

what about cats? growing up on a farm, we gave cow's milk to our barn cats every night. they loved it.

okay, not the point of the post.

I raise one meat pig each year. I feed them goats milk (from a neighbor's dairy goats). Prior to butchering, they are in excellent health and LOVE when it's milk time.

Best pork, hands down.
  • ErinMcMom
    ErinMcMom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I LOVE cows milk! I've cut down my intake quite a bit (I was drinking WAY too much) but I won't remove it from my life completely. I just enjoy it too much.
    I've tried almond milk since I have a friend that swears by it, but it's just not nearly as tasty in my opinion (and has far less protein per serving).
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I like both, and not testifying about the health factors...but we buy almond milk more often because it has fewer calories and seems to last longer in our household.

Doesn't that mean your family likes it less?

Nah, it's my husband and I and we only use milk for our morning coffee and cooking. We may have a smoothie like once a week or so. With dairy milk, we often wound up throwing some out because it went bad when we bought a half gallon but the tiny quart size would be used up too quickly.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    There is no propaganda about cow's milk. No animal other than humans consume milk after infancy.

what about cats? growing up on a farm, we gave cow's milk to our barn cats every night. they loved it.

I raise one meat pig each year. I feed them goats milk (from a neighbor's dairy goats). Prior to butchering, they are in excellent health and LOVE when it's milk time.

Best pork, hands down.

I'd guess adult pigs are lactose intolerant as well. That said lactose intolerance isn't exactly fatal if you injest lactose, at worst it makes you a bit gassy really. Just because an animal will drink milk doesn't mean that it can digest lactose.
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    Love Almond Milk
  • Noogynoogs
    Noogynoogs Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Almond milk
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Egh, almond milk makes terrible coffees. I get lactose free cows milk or soy, depending on what's on special.
  • fitfabforties
    fitfabforties Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Silk unsweetened plain almond milk.....i put it on my cereal, oatmeal and just drink it as well.....but for my coffee....it's gotta be light cream.....can't do almond milk in the coffee....lol....i haven't used cow's milk in ages.....but i keep it for my little one....
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    If you are unsure of which to pick just get yourself a cow and feed it nothing but almonds, should be good to go.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I go with Silk unsweetened original almond milk, the sweetened didn't taste good to me. I use it in my instant breakfast, protein shakes, and cereal.
  • Strokingdiction
    Options

Best pork, hands down.

I'd guess adult pigs are lactose intolerant as well. That said lactose intolerance isn't exactly fatal if you injest lactose, at worst it makes you a bit gassy really. Just because an animal will drink milk doesn't mean that it can digest lactose.

You can extend the period that an animal creates lactase if there's never a cessation of lactose intake. Also, you butcher most meat hogs long before they reach full maturity.
  • GretaGirl8
    GretaGirl8 Posts: 274 Member
    Options

Best pork, hands down.

true, a lot of those cats did die.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

Best pork, hands down.

true, a lot of those cats did die.

lol. Sorry, I love cats too so I have no idea why that made me laugh out loud but it did.
  • fr33fir3sgirl
    Options
    Humans weren't ment to consume dairy after a certain age or from another animal. So cutting it out will solve some other issues you probably didn't notice before (like skin issues or digestive issues). So I would stick with almond milk, or any other options like coconut and rice :)

Exactly! Thank you!
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Humans weren't ment to consume dairy after a certain age or from another animal. So cutting it out will solve some other issues you probably didn't notice before (like skin issues or digestive issues). So I would stick with almond milk, or any other options like coconut and rice :)

Exactly! Thank you!

When you say "meant" who exactly is doing the intending in this scenario? What do you mean that we aren't "meant" to drink something? Do you mean that our bodies did not evolve to digest milk? Well in the case of the lactose tolerant that is not true is it.

"meant" is just a wierd word to use in this context, as if there is intent where there is none.
  • amykr93
    amykr93 Posts: 65
    Options
    I go with almond or soy milk now, because I have started reading 801010 and it made a great point.

Humans are the only animals in nature who will, on their own, seek out the milk of another animal to drink, which is true. Other people have made posts about how they fed cows milk to cats, or goats milk to pigs; but in nature that wouldn't happen. A cat wouldn't go and suckle a cow, and a pig wouldn't suckle a goat. We are the only species that choose to do so.
    Other species know that the best milk they can receive is from their mothers, as it is designed to provide them with all the nutrients that they need; hence the benefits of breast feeding a child until a certain stage in development.

Why?
    Why would we willingly seek out something designed by animals to feed their young?
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    I go with almond or soy milk now, because I have started reading 801010 and it made a great point.

Humans are the only animals in nature who will, on their own, seek out the milk of another animal to drink, which is true. Other people have made posts about how they fed cows milk to cats, or goats milk to pigs; but in nature that wouldn't happen. A cat wouldn't go and suckle a cow, and a pig wouldn't suckle a goat. We are the only species that chose to do so.
    Other species know that the best milk they can receive is from their mothers, as it is designed to provide them with all the nutrients that they need; hence the benefits of breast feeding a child until a certain stage in development.

Why?
    Why would we willingly seek out something designed by animals to feed their young?

Why? Because adult mammals are lactose intolerant unlike the majority of humans who have developed a mutation that allows the continued production of the enzyme lactase into adulthood.

Does that answer your question?

While you are contemplating that enjoy this picture of kittens suckling from a dog.

dsc_0055.jpg

Or this pig suckling a dog

DOG-AND-PIG-MOM-AND-KID-1.jpg

I don't know what gave you the impression that one animal would NEVER suckle from another animal, apparently a blog article.

There are entire internet forums devoted to people trying to figure out how to get their kittens to stop suckling from their dog lol.
  • Strokingdiction
    Options

Exactly! Thank you!

Can I have a list of foods we were 'meant' to consume? Also a list of criteria and how they were arrived at would be nice as well.
  • Strokingdiction
    Options

Humans are the only animals in nature who will, on their own, seek out the milk of another animal to drink, which is true. Other people have made posts about how they fed cows milk to cats, or goats milk to pigs; but in nature that wouldn't happen. A cat wouldn't go and suckle a cow, and a pig wouldn't suckle a goat. We are the only species that choose to do so.

Why?

Why would you eat something designed by animals to move it from one place to another (muscles/meat).
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

Exactly! Thank you!

Can I have a list of foods we were 'meant' to consume? Also a list of criteria and how they were arrived at would be nice as well.

I was just thinking this. Would any of the people saying humans are not meant to consume cow's milk be willing to open their diaries?