Goal reached. Family horrified.

Replies

• I think you look amazing! Families have a hard time seeing past the difference. Give them some time to get used to the change, and they'll see you are right and they were wrong (well... really, insensitive! ). Great job!!
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    You look amazing! I attribute these comments to jealousy. People always try to make themselves feel better by putting others down...
  • luvclay10
    luvclay10 Posts: 26 Member
    They are your family and they love you! that being said its a normal thing that lots of families do, i am 55 and come from and Italian family and i am also a vegetarian. My family has told me my whole life that I i don't look good, your to thin! amazingly when i am over weight they think i look great! i think they are more comfortable when i am over weight because they are all over weight, if i am thin it forces them to address their own weight issues!
    keep up the good weight and they will see you are serious about being healthy and looking your best!
  • coral_b
    coral_b Posts: 264 Member
    You look amazing! Don't let others' negativity ruin how proud you feel with all your hard work. Sometimes people just get so used to us being bigger that they can't adjust to us being smaller. I'd only lost a little bit of weight and got all kinds of bizarre comments about how my hands are too boney now, and of course I'm unwell I need more meat. I'm actually still 5lbs into "over weight" BMI.
    In this generation people really aren't used to the realistic size of a "healthy weight". Enjoy your new found health and lifestyle! Well done x
  • elbaldwin0525
    elbaldwin0525 Posts: 159 Member
    You look AMAZING!!! ignore the negativity
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    I suggest you take your family to the optometrist's, as they all clearly need glasses. You look great.
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    You look amazing!! :flowerforyou: I'm shocked at the "EW" comment... that's a horrible thing to say to someone. :noway: :grumble:
  • I think you look amazing, and definitely not either too skinny or too fat. Way to go!!!!! :-)
  • povic1705
    povic1705 Posts: 44 Member
    You are AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!

Do not worry,
    They will understand their mistakes and will love NEW you.

Good luck everyone!!!!

PS I'm sorry for my English, I'm from Russia. 
    I would be glad to communicate in English
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    They'll get used to it and stop noticing that you look different. The problem is not that you're too thin. It's that when they see you, they have to use more mental processing to figure out who you are because you are thinner than their memories say you should be, which signals them to be worried. We've evolved to notice when someone is losing weight and worry about it because in the past it probably meant you were sick.
  • Maybe your family isn't used to the change because, looking at your pictures for the first time, I'd say you look really good. Give them some time to come around. And remember that Skype images aren't that great anyway.
  • Mhgretsch
    Mhgretsch Posts: 259 Member
    You look great! Congrats on the newer, healthier you:smile:
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    <<<<<<<<<<<HUGS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> your face looks more mature now :D that is the only difference, familes comments can be unknowingly cruel, I am sorry you were hurt by what they said . you look fantastic.
  • vrajkhowa
    vrajkhowa Posts: 1 Member
    You look fab! They say, " everything new takes time to be well accepted". Thats whats happening. Just give your family sometime to get used to this new YOU. Congratulations on your success!
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    No. You look great. YOu don't look like a skeleton at all. I have seen those people. I don't see any ribs showing. I think you look healthy. They are quite mean for making you feel bad about yourself. Ew, hmm. How ugly of her to say that. Maybe you need to take a break from skype-ing them for a while. For one thing, they are the outsiders looking into a tv/computer screen. Maybe it was the first time they were seeing you after your weight loss? IT takes a bit to get used to. I been told since I got down to 180's the same things. Now I am in the low 160's and get the same things being said. I don't care. I am still overweight and am not done. I feel that anyone who is not truly supportive of me is not worth my time to explain my weight loss journey or goals etc. I just change the subject or don't answer them or get blunt with them then change the conversation. You know what they say... everyone has an opinion. I don't care if they are healthy professionals, they are definitely not professionals in tact. That is for sure. You don't say someone looks like "ew" unless you want to insult them. Sorry. You look great and healthy. Just because they are family doesn't make it okay. And by telling you gain fifteen lbs, how are they in any shape or form your doctor?? THe best way to avoid number conversations is to not disclose what you weight or want to weight or how much you have lost so far. I respond to my non weight loss community peeps who inquire this by saying.. oh I am close to my goal, or I have a bit more to go, or I am not focused on numbers. Believe me, it prevents a lot of comments that I usually got after saying how much I weight, want to lose still or have lost so far. You are beautiful!!!!!!! Don't let anyone, and I mean anyone make you doubt that. Congrats on your weight loss. Now to learn to maintain it. Your maintenance stage will also be your family's get used to it stage. It will all work out in the end.
  • leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    You are looking great,it's only they are not accustomed to see you as an athlete.if you feel good,you are good.
    I don't think you have a body image issue but such negative comments from a parent or other near relation hurts,thats human.stay calm and learn a lesson as how not to be a parent.
    Take care,you are beautiful.:flowerforyou:
  • 8675309walker
    8675309walker Posts: 25 Member
    You look FANTASTIC! Congrats on the weight loss! :)
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    You are AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!

Do not worry,
    They will understand their mistakes and will love NEW you.

Good luck everyone!!!!

PS I'm sorry for my English, I'm from Russia. 
    I would be glad to communicate in English

English seems fine to me, I have seen worse form people who are born and raised American, English speaking. I just wanted to tell you that. Welcome to MFP
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    You are a beautiful and shapely 37 year old... You were a beautiful 17 year old too. They mean well but are not seeing you as you really are. Be proud and don't fret.
  • moglovesshoez
    moglovesshoez Posts: 83 Member
    You look beautiful. They are jealous! Let them say what they want, inner beauty (the state of your organs etc) is the most important thing anyway ;)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!