Workplace saboteurs...

Options

Replies

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Can you create a little extra space in your calories so that you can have a little treat? Cut back your cheese on dinner so you can have a half scoop of ice cream, no root beer.
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Temptation or not, if you want a treat, you make it work. Skip breakfast or dinner. Heck, I had a piece of pie this morning for my coworkers birthday. And I am having another one now because CHOCLATE PIE!!!! It's all a matter of training yourself to be responsible for your choices.
  • mannysue
    mannysue Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My work has all types of junk food readily availavle in the cupboards. it's very hard not to be tempted by this. I suggested having a fruit basket and we do have one of those now. I'm trying to eat fruit for snacks instead.
  • JazzAllen
    JazzAllen Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Well...I guess it's more than just the choices people make when bringing food to share. There are also those who really DO seem to want to derail my goals. The ones who try to convince me to eat what I would rather not, and give me the "party pooper" feeling when I opt out of a shared food experience.
    I like the idea of keeping my own, more acceptable treats in the drawer to assuage my suffering and growling tummy!

What about an easy catch-phrase to reply to those who try to "convince" you to eat certain things ... "Oh, I wish I could enjoy___ with you, but I'm working really hard to stick to certain foods/ improve my health/ feel better" (obviously, use your own words that pertain to your situation).
  • WaynesGurl
    WaynesGurl Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Are you a nurse? Its nurse week and omg the snacks are a flying. I avoid at all cost going near any break areas. Tho today a supervisor sent us a piece of sugar free pie. Yay. Good luck!!!
  • k_nicole87
    k_nicole87 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Well...I guess it's more than just the choices people make when bringing food to share. There are also those who really DO seem to want to derail my goals. The ones who try to convince me to eat what I would rather not, and give me the "party pooper" feeling when I opt out of a shared food experience.
    I like the idea of keeping my own, more acceptable treats in the drawer to assuage my suffering and growling tummy!

There is only one person who can derail your progress.
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Yep... such is the world of marketing...... Cakes, cookies, doughnuts, sandwiches, italian food, BBQ....." No thanks, I brought my cabbage and green beans "... kinda sucks sometimes... One of those lovely Costco Carrot Cupcakes with Cream Cheese frosting is 890 calories... holy Toledo !!

holy cow! I'd have to spend almost 2 hours on the elliptical machine to burn off one dang cupcake, screw that,lmao
  • emmooney235
    emmooney235 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite vendor reps brought bite sized pastry this morning. We regularly have goodies (one VP also has a restaurant). My strategy is that I will enjoy what is brought in, but I will have a smaller portion. With birthday cake, I'll cut my piece in half or even a quarter depending on who cut it initially. With lunches, if I can order my own I try to pick a healthier option, if it's brought in I'll try to portion it out to last two lunches or more. For me it's all about enjoying the event and I'll work harder at the gym latter.
  • abs0830
    abs0830 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    At my work we used to have a ton of junk food around. Then I complained quite a bit (others were commenting to me about how there wasn't anything healthy) and it changed. The person who purchased didn't realize that people were only eating it because it was there and didn't want to have to leave or feel rude for not eating something someone brought in. We now also have fruit and veggies, water slices for lemon. We do still have some cookies, crackers, chips, etc. But, now there are more options. When we get company lunch we now get it from a local sandwich shop that also has salads.
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I hear you. And not just work place but at other events/functions too! Friends' "get together's", church functions - all good events to go to but too many temptations! Maybe we can talk more and eat less. :wink:
  • fromthewild
    Options
    cool; thanks everybody for your suggestions and views.
    My workplace is pretty old-school when it comes to views about eating, so I think I'll just go with the victorious feeling when I succeed in politely passing on the unhealthy food. For me going completely without is much easier than eating in moderation. Once it reaches my taste buds...it's on.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid of the workplace snacks rather be more intelligent about them. If you've been good let yourself indulge a little (try 1/2 of a piece of cake or brownie) record the calories as accurately as possible then make smarter choices that day and for the rest of the week to keep your calorie goals intact.

I know this is going to sound hard, but just because there is "free food" doesn't mean your obligated to consume it. Stick to the foods you like and reward yourself the way you like.

There's a giant sheet cake in the kitchen at my office right now as we speak.... haha
  • k_nicole87
    k_nicole87 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    cool; thanks everybody for your suggestions and views.
    My workplace is pretty old-school when it comes to views about eating, so I think I'll just go with the victorious feeling when I succeed in politely passing on the unhealthy food. For me going completely without is much easier than eating in moderation. Once it reaches my taste buds...it's on.

That's exactly what I say with eat new trip on the diet train. Too bad I have never lasted long like that and have never met my goals.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options

Word!! If someone brings in donuts or a treat to work, if I want it, I'll fit in into my day. Depriving yourself only leads to binging and falling off the wagon later on, at least in my experience.

Whole heartedly agree, this is a lifestyle change, you need to get it to work unless you want to avoid the issue for the rest of your working days. You know the problem, now work out how you can enjoy it and stay inside your macros. Generally I give them a wide berth but it does not bother me. On occasions I have included them and then compensated elsewhere, more exercise, restrictions elsewhere. Good luck with your choice.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I hear the people who say "Be a grownup and either say no or fit it into your day." They're not wrong. But especially when you're in the beginning of your quest to lose weight and get healthy, these situations are hard! I feel you, OP! Not everyone's goals/physique/plan can allow for a pint of ice cream a night! (You're bulking, you lift heavy, I get it, good for you.)

Today at my office we just finally used our Christmas gift card from a vendor to get lunch from a local Italian place. I stuck mainly with the salad and added a teeny scoop of pasta and a decent sized chicken breast. Like someone said above, food is offered because the offerer is being nice. Keep that in mind and it feels less like sabotage and more like an opportunity to learn how to eat well in the real world.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Life is one giant saboteur...
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I generally just go pee on the whole table full of food. And I yell out "I DON'T WANT TO BE FAT LIKE Y'ALL!!!" while I'm doing it.
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I've learnt to say no overtime. Or make it fit into my calories/macros. Over Easter someone put cream eggs on everyone's desk, mine is still there. I'm wondering how long it will take for a co worker to nick it.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    LOL, yesterday I brought 2 boxes of cookies to work. I ate 1 cookie. It's up to me to deal with temptations that are presented, no matter where they come from.
  • DoctorMcCoy10
    DoctorMcCoy10 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I generally just go pee on the whole table full of food. And I yell out "I DON'T WANT TO BE FAT LIKE Y'ALL!!!" while I'm doing it.

Ha ha ha please come to my office and do this just so I can see their reactions :happy: