Workplace saboteurs...

Options

Replies

• WJS_jeepster
    WJS_jeepster Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    as part of our company "wellness" initiative, they replaced lots of the old snacks with fresh fruit delivered once a week At first people were pretty resistant, but it's become super-popular.

Also, we are small enough and have enough people with special food requirements that we've found a couple catering options that work for everyone.

That said, between Thanksgiving and Christmas is client gift free-for-all time. Candy is everywhere.
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. Saying no to those things is a real bummer. During the holidays I really gave up and overdid it.

Do try to have your own real treats. Nothing too diet-y but a real treat that you plan into your day and isn't 800 calories...
    I like 100-calorie packs of cookies, or just one real cookie. I enjoy it and then when the treat march in, I don't feel out of control because I just had cookies.

Make sure to track on those days because knowing you have to plug that in really dissuades you.
  • BuckTheBMI
    BuckTheBMI Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Do what I do, say "no thanks, I'm on a gluten free diet". Most people don't have a clue what gluten is. I've gotten out of so many less than great food choices this way. But once the public is more informed on gluten, this may not work. But I figure i'll have time to come up with something else before then,. :laugh:

It would be great if even the people ON a gluten free diet knew what gluten was LOL:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/06/gluten-free-people-have-no-idea-what-gluten-is_n_5273980.html?ir=Comedy
  • lovelylela415
    lovelylela415 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    When I indulge in office treats, which we have in the office here quite frequently (doughnuts, candy all the time, chips bagels etc) I feel terrible. I try to let that guide my decision making but it doesn't always work. Sometimes i smell the doughnut or think about the chocolate and I just cave in; it can be so hard.

One thing that helps me is eating breakfast and staying full throughout the day by way of the kinds of foods i DO eat - I try to cook and bring my lunch and I eat breakfast in the morning. On the mornings that I don't eat breakfast or keep myself sated, I end up giving in to the temptations of office treats. But I have found that when I stay sated on the good foods I enjoy eating and that don't make me feel guilty, I don't even want the office treats.

However, when all is said and done, I do indulge at times, and I always always always enter them into my food log. This way I can realistically see how the food is affecting me physically, and I can still treat it more as fuel than anything else.

The bottom line is that I hate the way I feel after I eat the treats, so what has worked for me (sometimes) has been to remind myself how good I feel when I don't eat the treats. Yes, it's hard to hang out with other people when they are eating the treats, but I think about it this way: I don't smoke cigarettes and if they all wanted me to go out and smoke cigs with them for a break, I wouldn't do that.

You aren't alone. Office snacks are a tough one!
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    No. No one is trying to force these things down your throat. You can choose to avoid people like the plague or learn to eat in moderation.

unfortunately eating in ''moderation'' doesn't necessarily always work. one lady mentioned a carrot cake muffin with cream cheese frosting from costco that comes in at 800 some odd calories. I'm sure one couldn't accuse someone of 'overeating' or not eating 'in moderation' because they had one cupcake at a social gathering, but if you don't know exactly what's in those treats people are bringing, you could be packing on an extra 800 a day while thinking ''it's ok. i've 'learned' moderation and am only having one treat" which will quickly add up to extra pounds
  • eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Yup! my work had 20 delicious smelling greasy pizzas down the hall yesterday. I sat at my desk and enjoyed my apple, yogurt, blueberries, sandwich , and chips though lol
  • stetienne
    stetienne Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    It wasn't the occasional workplace treat that caused me to gain 25 pounds. I find that I can still enjoy workplace treats now that I have cut out the nightly mindless eating of chips, etc., and gotten a little more active.
  • mlaccs
    mlaccs Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Same issue. Even worse in my job there are lots of time when food is brought in. Lots of very very tasty stuff that lives on my waistline.

Saying no has been a very tough battle. But I slowly winning the fight as long as I stay on target with big picture goals.
  • goochinator
    goochinator Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Oh Lord can I relate to this one!!
    My office kitchen right now has Cheese pastries, chocolate chip cookies, oatmeal raisin cookies, white chocolate cookies, breakfast tarts, double stuff oreos, Magnum ice cream bars, nutty sundae bars, brownie bites, bagels and a variety of cream cheeses.

Pretty much like that everyday. About once a week or so the boss brings in gourmet bagels and/or doughnuts. It's a killer!
    There's no way to tell people " NO " without it being mean or bad spirited, so I find it best to simply stay away from the kitchen at all costs if I can. I always keep my own 'stash' of stuff in my desk or in my bag to make sure I have what I want.

At times, like when there's the custard filled doughnut that's screaming my name, I'll take it.
    and throw it away. Wasteful, yes. rude? Perhaps, since no one else can have it. But my thinking is: if it goes into my mouth or in the trash, when I take it, it's mine to do with it, right?
    That has only happened once, but it seemed empowering or something.
  • rachaelgoslan
    Options
    Its a huge problem in my work, the bulk of us are female and emotional eaters. We started a weekly fat day called fat Friday's a while ago for a laugh but all it did was encourage unhealthy eating. I don't take part in it anymore and tend to turn down sweet treats. I've had a week away from work this week and have spent the entire week eating very healthy and feeling great. Will be going back next week with a refreshed outlook :)
  • incantarix
    incantarix Posts: 35
    Options
    Bravo to those of you who are able to fit in certain foods, then call it a day. There are many people who just can't do that. Bravo to those of you who have enough willpower to just say no, some of just just do not have that.

I have seen so many snarky remarks on so many posts, and almost hear the eyes rolling (ex. "Um, just eat one and fit it in your calories, it's called willpower, try it sometime). I won't be able to be trusted to just have one of anything for a very long time. Try telling an alcoholic to "just have a sip of beer and get over it".

I am very happy for those of you who are able to control yourselves. If many of us here were able to control ourselves, we wouldn't be here in the first place. Many times it isn't about the donut. It's what the donut "does" to us. It can emotionally medicate many of us, and so 1 donut turns into 5 donuts when we eat it and old feelings of food and emotions come flooding back. And I personally don't want to fit 5, or even 1 donut into my day, because then I'll be hungry later when I can eat 300 less calories, than if I hadn't eaten the donut.

OP, what I do at work is bring something satisfying to eat in case there are crazy snacks around the office. I have 90 or 100 calorie snacks to eat, and I can say I've been good with not caving into temptation. There was a meeting a couple weeks ago during which a bag of dove chocolates was being passed around. I have a friend who can eat 1 and she is satisfied. I would eat half the bag, and then wallow in self loathing.

Different strokes for different folks; some will be able to do things in moderation, some will always have to be extremely careful, as the risk of falling back into old habits can be very high.

Well, there's the fact that alcoholism is a disease... eating one cupcake or a slice of pizza is not. Nobody is intentionally trying to trigger dramatic emotional outbursts by putting a dozen donuts on the break table. If people can't function properly at a work setting, perhaps they should remain at home, safe and sound from the "saboteurs" of the outside world.

High five.

Double-High five.

MAke sure to log your high fives in your exercise. Maybe make some room for another slice of something?
  • elizabethmetge
    Options
    I understand!! Currently I am dealing with co-workers that are food-pushers. I am and will continue to resist however they constantly have something to say about my new lifestyle and weightloss and most of it is not supportive at all.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    My office holds a lot of big lunch meetings for the company's clients so a lot of the leftovers get left in our lunchroom. One of the VPs buys boxes of ice cream treats and leaves them in the lunchroom freezer for everyone and he does this constantly during the summer.

Every holiday, Easter, Halloween, Christmas, etc. there is always baked treats, candy, you name it.

Two words....self control. You can have a treat, just make it fit into your day.
  • rachaelgoslan
    Options
    Its called jealousy :) But well done x
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    It wasn't the occasional workplace treat that caused me to gain 25 pounds. I find that I can still enjoy workplace treats now that I have cut out the nightly mindless eating of chips, etc., and gotten a little more active.

^ THIS!!
  • klreiland
    klreiland Posts: 14
    Options
    It is teacher appreciation week so this week has definitely been interesting with regards to temptation. Today was the ice cream social. Instead of imbibe in an icecream sundae with whipped cream, chocolate, and all the fixings I opted to make my own fruit bowl from the fresh fruit and I put a few chocolate sprinkles on it for decoration and a mini treat. Yum
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Just Say No :) Or, enjoy a little bit with them, or a lot, and have an extra work out. You don't have to eat it. I know it's easier said than done, but it gets easier after a while. Plus, when you have things like that less often, they taste better when you DO eat them! You could also bring a snack from home for you or to share with everyone.
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Bravo to those of you who are able to fit in certain foods, then call it a day. There are many people who just can't do that. Bravo to those of you who have enough willpower to just say no, some of just just do not have that.

I have seen so many snarky remarks on so many posts, and almost hear the eyes rolling (ex. "Um, just eat one and fit it in your calories, it's called willpower, try it sometime). I won't be able to be trusted to just have one of anything for a very long time. Try telling an alcoholic to "just have a sip of beer and get over it".

I am very happy for those of you who are able to control yourselves. If many of us here were able to control ourselves, we wouldn't be here in the first place. Many times it isn't about the donut. It's what the donut "does" to us. It can emotionally medicate many of us, and so 1 donut turns into 5 donuts when we eat it and old feelings of food and emotions come flooding back. And I personally don't want to fit 5, or even 1 donut into my day, because then I'll be hungry later when I can eat 300 less calories, than if I hadn't eaten the donut.

OP, what I do at work is bring something satisfying to eat in case there are crazy snacks around the office. I have 90 or 100 calorie snacks to eat, and I can say I've been good with not caving into temptation. There was a meeting a couple weeks ago during which a bag of dove chocolates was being passed around. I have a friend who can eat 1 and she is satisfied. I would eat half the bag, and then wallow in self loathing.

Different strokes for different folks; some will be able to do things in moderation, some will always have to be extremely careful, as the risk of falling back into old habits can be very high.

Well, there's the fact that alcoholism is a disease... eating one cupcake or a slice of pizza is not. Nobody is intentionally trying to trigger dramatic emotional outbursts by putting a dozen donuts on the break table. If people can't function properly at a work setting, perhaps they should remain at home, safe and sound from the "saboteurs" of the outside world.

High five.

Double-High five.

MAke sure to log your high fives in your exercise. Maybe make some room for another slice of something?
    Just so I get this straight... If I suffer from disordered eating and I compulsively under eat I have a legitimate mental health problem, but if I compulsivley over eat I'm just a lazy whiner. Got it.
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Luckily my colleague and I are both trying healthy eating, we support each other very well. However, we work in a care home and the amount of chocolates, cake and sweets bought in for us staff is very kind but madness. The residents are always having cakes etc and the chef leaves extras out for us staff. We have to be very good to stay away!
  • RedRider230
    RedRider230 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Yep... such is the world of marketing...... Cakes, cookies, doughnuts, sandwiches, italian food, BBQ....." No thanks, I brought my cabbage and green beans "... kinda sucks sometimes... One of those lovely Costco Carrot Cupcakes with Cream Cheese frosting is 890 calories... holy Toledo !!
    [/quote

Haha! I had something come up yesterday where I was going to have a really late dinner...so while we were at Costco I thought, hmmm, one slice of pizza can't be THAT BAD. I got home and logged it and was shocked to see the one slice was 680 calories! Now I wish I would've just gone ahead and gotten the BBQ Beef Brisket Sandwich! LOL