Workplace saboteurs...

Options

Replies

• HLindsayA
    HLindsayA Posts: 46
    Options
    Bravo to those of you who are able to fit in certain foods, then call it a day. There are many people who just can't do that. Bravo to those of you who have enough willpower to just say no, some of just just do not have that.

I have seen so many snarky remarks on so many posts, and almost hear the eyes rolling (ex. "Um, just eat one and fit it in your calories, it's called willpower, try it sometime). I won't be able to be trusted to just have one of anything for a very long time. Try telling an alcoholic to "just have a sip of beer and get over it".

I am very happy for those of you who are able to control yourselves. If many of us here were able to control ourselves, we wouldn't be here in the first place. Many times it isn't about the donut. It's what the donut "does" to us. It can emotionally medicate many of us, and so 1 donut turns into 5 donuts when we eat it and old feelings of food and emotions come flooding back. And I personally don't want to fit 5, or even 1 donut into my day, because then I'll be hungry later when I can eat 300 less calories, than if I hadn't eaten the donut.

OP, what I do at work is bring something satisfying to eat in case there are crazy snacks around the office. I have 90 or 100 calorie snacks to eat, and I can say I've been good with not caving into temptation. There was a meeting a couple weeks ago during which a bag of dove chocolates was being passed around. I have a friend who can eat 1 and she is satisfied. I would eat half the bag, and then wallow in self loathing.

Different strokes for different folks; some will be able to do things in moderation, some will always have to be extremely careful, as the risk of falling back into old habits can be very high.

^^
    This. Thank you for posting this
  • kuntry_navySD
    kuntry_navySD Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    all we got to eat at the shop is junk in the vending machine lol. I leave my wallet at home on purpose!
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Bravo to those of you who are able to fit in certain foods, then call it a day. There are many people who just can't do that. Bravo to those of you who have enough willpower to just say no, some of just just do not have that.

I have seen so many snarky remarks on so many posts, and almost hear the eyes rolling (ex. "Um, just eat one and fit it in your calories, it's called willpower, try it sometime). I won't be able to be trusted to just have one of anything for a very long time. Try telling an alcoholic to "just have a sip of beer and get over it".

I am very happy for those of you who are able to control yourselves. If many of us here were able to control ourselves, we wouldn't be here in the first place. Many times it isn't about the donut. It's what the donut "does" to us. It can emotionally medicate many of us, and so 1 donut turns into 5 donuts when we eat it and old feelings of food and emotions come flooding back. And I personally don't want to fit 5, or even 1 donut into my day, because then I'll be hungry later when I can eat 300 less calories, than if I hadn't eaten the donut.

OP, what I do at work is bring something satisfying to eat in case there are crazy snacks around the office. I have 90 or 100 calorie snacks to eat, and I can say I've been good with not caving into temptation. There was a meeting a couple weeks ago during which a bag of dove chocolates was being passed around. I have a friend who can eat 1 and she is satisfied. I would eat half the bag, and then wallow in self loathing.

Different strokes for different folks; some will be able to do things in moderation, some will always have to be extremely careful, as the risk of falling back into old habits can be very high.

Well, there's the fact that alcoholism is a disease... eating one cupcake or a slice of pizza is not. Nobody is intentionally trying to trigger dramatic emotional outbursts by putting a dozen donuts on the break table. If people can't function properly at a work setting, perhaps they should remain at home, safe and sound from the "saboteurs" of the outside world.

High five.

Double-High five.

MAke sure to log your high fives in your exercise. Maybe make some room for another slice of something?
    Just so I get this straight... If I suffer from disordered eating and I compulsively under eat I have a legitimate mental health problem, but if I compulsivley over eat I'm just a lazy whiner. Got it.

Agreed. Eating disorders are just as much diseases as substance use or even physical disease such as diabetes for that matter. Also disordered eating, even if not a full-blown disease, is often a symptom and part of a larger issue.

Making the "right" decision about food (i.e. this concept of willpower) is never that simple or easy. Hence, the number of people who overeat and need to lose weight.
  • allana1111
    allana1111 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Yes - they have stuff ALL THE TIME at our office that I have to resist....I bought some hard candy and put in my drawer - low calorie - and then when they are indulging - I can satisfy that 'want something sweet' craving...

that's a great idea ^^
  • silverlining84
    silverlining84 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    We have food nights all the time at work. I try to modify it so it can still fit within my calories and macros. For instance tomorrow we're having stuffed french toast. I'll be changing it up to have 1 slice of whole wheat bread dipped in egg whites & loaded with fruit. People aren't trying to sabotage you... it's all about making choices that fit within your goals.
  • aishamarie76
    Options
    ( CLAP CLAP CLAP ) YESS .. I was just talking to my coworker about what I ate today .. i work in ICU and EVERYDAY some family members bring donuts , or a someone bakes cookies or brownies .. you never know when you are able to eat so today in a hungry fury I snarfed 2 brownies and a cup of coffee for breakfast. UGH ... then of course everyday .. its what are we eating? and then the delivery people show up .. yesterday I brought my lunch and still was offered food. sigh I need more will power.. sheesh this carb addiction is worst than Crack!
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,148 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse, coworkers organize parties for everything and anything. It's been a work in progress for me, but I've started making choices based on what's going on that day, what have I eaten, is what they're bringing worth the calories? etc etc. Last week we had a salad night, I scanned all the packages, eyeballed the portions and enjoyed it. A few days ago it was a going away party for someone whose favorite foods are pancakes and grilled cheese. I didn't want to participate (don't eat pancakes because I dont like them and we've done the grilled cheese party before, they're okay, not worth the calories - I'd rather make my own). I just brought plates and didn't eat the sandwich. If anything, I'm more annoyed with the amount of money I spend on these things, frankly, I'm not overly fond of the group (loved the Seinfeld link a few pages back with Elaine complaining about having to pretend they're all friends when they simply work together). But overall, I'll eat something when it works for me, log it as best as I can and not worry about what people think if I don't. And get some delight in turning down the homemade cupcakes of the nurse who is overly annoying and doesn't like me but makes them and brings them to work constantly. I had one once, and it was good, but usually not my flavors so easy to say no to. And fun :bigsmile:

Just do what's right for you and :drinker:
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I work in a hospital setting and there is always treats around: birthdays, thank you gifts from clients, gifts from vendors, treats for meetings, and random "I baked a pie and brought it in". People are pretty comfortable saying "does anyone want to split this cookie with me".

My work group is all on this health kick together so you're more likely to hear "who wants apple slices!"

/I don't regret the half-slice of chocolate & peanut butter cake I had today.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    wow a lot of people on here are *kitten*

Insulting other members that way is against the Terms of Service.

Just-saying.gif
  • mistiblake08
    mistiblake08 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    My Hispanic coworkers are always offering me sweets and every few months the company buys us either BBQ or bojangles.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    In all honesty, you just have to deal with it.
    YOu cannot be in a 100% controlled enviroment all the time where there arent any outside foods coming into your area of operations.

There always been parties, get togethers, holidays, carry-ins at work, etc and the sooner you gain up the willpower to control your eating the better off you will be.

Not enough time. Holidays. Vacations. Work-place foods.

All they are is excuses.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Do what I do, say "no thanks, I'm on a gluten free diet". Most people don't have a clue what gluten is. I've gotten out of so many less than great food choices this way. But once the public is more informed on gluten, this may not work. But I figure i'll have time to come up with something else before then,. :laugh:

It would be great if even the people ON a gluten free diet knew what gluten was LOL:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/06/gluten-free-people-have-no-idea-what-gluten-is_n_5273980.html?ir=Comedy

Wait.....hold on a minute. You cannot use something I posted on my personal page without my express written permission. What are you trying to do?? Sabotage me????? :grumble:

OP - Yeah it sucks when you work shows appreciation and you have to get all bitter about not being able to say no.
  • BuckTheBMI
    BuckTheBMI Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Do what I do, say "no thanks, I'm on a gluten free diet". Most people don't have a clue what gluten is. I've gotten out of so many less than great food choices this way. But once the public is more informed on gluten, this may not work. But I figure i'll have time to come up with something else before then,. :laugh:

It would be great if even the people ON a gluten free diet knew what gluten was LOL:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/06/gluten-free-people-have-no-idea-what-gluten-is_n_5273980.html?ir=Comedy

Wait.....hold on a minute. You cannot use something I posted on my personal page without my express written permission. What are you trying to do?? Sabotage me????? :grumble:

OP - Yeah it sucks when you work shows appreciation and you have to get all bitter about not being able to say no.

It was too great, and timely, not to share! I got caught up in the heat of the moment. Sorry for the sabotage to your feed privacy!
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options

It was too great, and timely, not to share! I got caught up in the heat of the moment. Sorry for the sabotage to your feed privacy!

tumblr_n473xaZVUI1rlo61so1_500.png
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options

Well, there's the fact that alcoholism is a disease... eating one cupcake or a slice of pizza is not. Nobody is intentionally trying to trigger dramatic emotional outbursts by putting a dozen donuts on the break table. If people can't function properly at a work setting, perhaps they should remain at home, safe and sound from the "saboteurs" of the outside world.

High five.

Double-High five.

MAke sure to log your high fives in your exercise. Maybe make some room for another slice of something?
    Just so I get this straight... If I suffer from disordered eating and I compulsively under eat I have a legitimate mental health problem, but if I compulsivley over eat I'm just a lazy whiner. Got it.

Agreed. Eating disorders are just as much diseases as substance use or even physical disease such as diabetes for that matter. Also disordered eating, even if not a full-blown disease, is often a symptom and part of a larger issue.

Making the "right" decision about food (i.e. this concept of willpower) is never that simple or easy. Hence, the number of people who overeat and need to lose weight.

However, if its an eating disorder we're talking about then you KNOW that you shouldn't be blaming OTHER PEOPLE for what they offer to a work place or what they offer you.
  • _mlee_
    _mlee_ Posts: 90
    Options
    No, I have no clue what that's like

*Dips hand in bag full of leftover easter chocolate sitting on work desk*

:sad:
  • Kamirose9047
    Options
    I work as an English teacher in Japan, and am required to eat the school lunches. They regularly come out to 700-800 calories. On Mon/Wed/Fri I don't eat with my students so I can pass on the rice or bread, but when I eat with my kids on Tues/Thurs, I'm required to clean my plate, and then I'm starving by dinner...
  • sphkhn
    sphkhn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    YES! It's only 7 of us so it's almost impossible to pass on the cake, chocolate ect. I usually work it into my calories for the day we always have those little chocolate squares which are about 60 calories each and if I only eat one its no big deal and I log it.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    At one of my workplaces, they began to start serving fruit and granola bars instead of muffins and pastries. In the afternoon, they have air popped popcorn. There has been a big change in the atmosphere since then.
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else frustrated with workplace treats, provided lunches, etc. that are extremely high-cal?? We have had a week of "thank-you" treats from admin to employees, and all/most of it has been something I really shouldn't eat. Today's treat? Ice cream floats. I can't even go there to socialize because of the temptation!
    Frustrating...

Yep, I know how ya feel. While others have said it is up to you to say no, I get that, but that isn't what you are saying. It is just a comment, you weren't saying you don't sometimes indulge or fit it into your calories, just that there has been a lot there. They do this where I work as well. After a few people said something about not having anything healthy, they adjusted it. We now have fruit and such available to us as well.

As for not being able to go there to socialize, please don't let that stop you. Stay strong in your journey. When someone says something to me about not having something, I just reply with "no thanks, I'm good" that usually does it. Attending these types of functions did get easier after time for me. I have learned to just enjoy the chatting and eat only what I feel comfortable eating. Some days I will fit in that muffin, some days, I have other foods I'd rather leave room for.