Workplace saboteurs...

Replies

• HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Life is so hard sometimes!
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    YEP! Our company provides catered lunch sometimes. Most of the time it's pizza. Great. I can't eat that. Neither can some of my coworkers who have gluten aversions, so we all kinda mope about. We have a wellness council at work, and a lot of it focuses on health and nutrition, yet they still order pizza probably once a week instead of having say a salad bar or something (anything) healthy. On occasion they order Jimmy Johns, but after seeing those big game hunting photos I will never eat there again. I will not support a man who slaughters elephants, rhinos, leopards, and protected species just for fun. Disgusting. I can't even go in the break room on pizza days because it's too tempting. When I do go in there to prepare my own healthy foods, I'm dying a little bit each second. I think it's just the way it goes though. It's nice for them to provide food. It'd be nicer if it was healthy food, but healthy food isn't cheap, and as they are buying it for 100 people between our 3 shifts, I can understand why they always choose pizza.
  • mediamogulsteve
    mediamogulsteve Posts: 115 Member
    The radio conglomerate I work for provides a fresh fruit snack each afternoon.

My "real" job in commercial banking has it's share of title companies bringing us lunch. When that's the case, I try to find out what they're bringing so I can make adjustments if need be.
  • teeya1984
    teeya1984 Posts: 33 Member
    I feel your pain....albeit they are not trying to FORCE the food down my throat (as so many people have pointed out), they do make comments about how I should "relax" and "enjoy life" and blah blah blah.

Last night I worked a marketing event at the playoff game for the OHL and my options were hot dogs, pizza, pretzels, cotton candy, or nothing ("but the hotdog buns are gluten free! just get one!" must have been said to me 50 times). It was not a situation I could bring my own food to, so sometimes it does feel like work is sabotaging my lifestyle decisions. I handled it by not eating anything while I was there and after my 16 hour work day finally ended, I was able to go home and make better choices.

I know sometimes it super sucks! Just do the best you can - sometimes you are going to have to "cheat", but everyone is entitled to that once and a while....just try to burn it off later with some really fun exercise :)

good luck! ox
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Ughh...this is the worst part about working with all women. As I type this I am forced to look at a plate of brownies that are set out for everyone! I'm drinking water instead :(

Actually, the worst part is period timing.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Is anyone else frustrated with workplace treats, provided lunches, etc. that are extremely high-cal?? We have had a week of "thank-you" treats from admin to employees, and all/most of it has been something I really shouldn't eat. Today's treat? Ice cream floats. I can't even go there to socialize because of the temptation!
    Frustrating...

Not trying to be a jerk, but I just want to make sure I get this straight.

So your job pays for treats or lunches for all of it's employees to THANK THEM for their work and dedication.
    This upsets you because you don't think you can have those things?
    So because you are watching your calories they should take your feelings into consideration and get nothing for no one?

Not a lot of companies do this anymore. I'm not saying you aren't appreciative of what they are doing, but it all boils down to who has control over what you put in your mouth. You're the only one that can sabotage yourself. One treat today isn't going to ruin all of your progress. I had ice cream 3x yesterday and I've actually lost weight. You can have these things in moderation.

Just remember you are the only one who can sabotage yourself. You decide what you eat. Simple as that. I'm not saying it wouldn't be tempting, I'll admit, I'd be in there in a heartbeat and if I went a little over my calories today, fine.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    YEP! Our company provides catered lunch sometimes. Most of the time it's pizza. Great. I can't eat that. Neither can some of my coworkers who have gluten aversions, so we all kinda mope about. We have a wellness council at work, and a lot of it focuses on health and nutrition, yet they still order pizza probably once a week instead of having say a salad bar or something (anything) healthy. On occasion they order Jimmy Johns, but after seeing those big game hunting photos I will never eat there again. I will not support a man who slaughters elephants, rhinos, leopards, and protected species just for fun. Disgusting. I can't even go in the break room on pizza days because it's too tempting. When I do go in there to prepare my own healthy foods, I'm dying a little bit each second. I think it's just the way it goes though. It's nice for them to provide food. It'd be nicer if it was healthy food, but healthy food isn't cheap, and as they are buying it for 100 people between our 3 shifts, I can understand why they always choose pizza.
    I have pizza at least once a week now... never mind work place treats. That would be awesome if my workplace did that sometimes.

This is how I envision pizza day at your company:
    A5826_do-not-like.gif
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    We have lunches every other week, which I love haha. I don't find it too difficult to resist. If I want a snack, I'll make a way to fit it into my day.
  • nicfitnesszone
    nicfitnesszone Posts: 115 Member
    Where I work, the market place has salad bar and health bar. If you can't find anything healthy at the cafeteria, you need to pack your lunch.

As for treat day, get a small portion of either pizza, cookie, donut, bagel, cake, ice cream, whatever you fancy. I don't deprive myself of indulging a little, and being part of the team and socializing. However, I don't need to eat everything and have second serving.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    This is part of life, live and learn!! You can't avoid everything!! :wink:

ETA: Moderation. :bigsmile:
  • incantarix
    incantarix Posts: 35
    Bravo to those of you who are able to fit in certain foods, then call it a day. There are many people who just can't do that. Bravo to those of you who have enough willpower to just say no, some of just just do not have that.

I have seen so many snarky remarks on so many posts, and almost hear the eyes rolling (ex. "Um, just eat one and fit it in your calories, it's called willpower, try it sometime). I won't be able to be trusted to just have one of anything for a very long time. Try telling an alcoholic to "just have a sip of beer and get over it".

I am very happy for those of you who are able to control yourselves. If many of us here were able to control ourselves, we wouldn't be here in the first place. Many times it isn't about the donut. It's what the donut "does" to us. It can emotionally medicate many of us, and so 1 donut turns into 5 donuts when we eat it and old feelings of food and emotions come flooding back. And I personally don't want to fit 5, or even 1 donut into my day, because then I'll be hungry later when I can eat 300 less calories, than if I hadn't eaten the donut.

OP, what I do at work is bring something satisfying to eat in case there are crazy snacks around the office. I have 90 or 100 calorie snacks to eat, and I can say I've been good with not caving into temptation. There was a meeting a couple weeks ago during which a bag of dove chocolates was being passed around. I have a friend who can eat 1 and she is satisfied. I would eat half the bag, and then wallow in self loathing.

Different strokes for different folks; some will be able to do things in moderation, some will always have to be extremely careful, as the risk of falling back into old habits can be very high.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Bravo to those of you who are able to fit in certain foods, then call it a day. There are many people who just can't do that. Bravo to those of you who have enough willpower to just say no, some of just just do not have that.

I have seen so many snarky remarks on so many posts, and almost hear the eyes rolling (ex. "Um, just eat one and fit it in your calories, it's called willpower, try it sometime). I won't be able to be trusted to just have one of anything for a very long time. Try telling an alcoholic to "just have a sip of beer and get over it".

I am very happy for those of you who are able to control yourselves. If many of us here were able to control ourselves, we wouldn't be here in the first place. Many times it isn't about the donut. It's what the donut "does" to us. It can emotionally medicate many of us, and so 1 donut turns into 5 donuts when we eat it and old feelings of food and emotions come flooding back. And I personally don't want to fit 5, or even 1 donut into my day, because then I'll be hungry later when I can eat 300 less calories, than if I hadn't eaten the donut.

OP, what I do at work is bring something satisfying to eat in case there are crazy snacks around the office. I have 90 or 100 calorie snacks to eat, and I can say I've been good with not caving into temptation. There was a meeting a couple weeks ago during which a bag of dove chocolates was being passed around. I have a friend who can eat 1 and she is satisfied. I would eat half the bag, and then wallow in self loathing.

Different strokes for different folks; some will be able to do things in moderation, some will always have to be extremely careful, as the risk of falling back into old habits can be very high.

Well, there's the fact that alcoholism is a disease... eating one cupcake or a slice of pizza is not. Nobody is intentionally trying to trigger dramatic emotional outbursts by putting a dozen donuts on the break table. If people can't function properly at a work setting, perhaps they should remain at home, safe and sound from the "saboteurs" of the outside world.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member

Well, there's the fact that alcoholism is a disease... eating one cupcake or a slice of pizza is not. Nobody is intentionally trying to trigger dramatic emotional outbursts by putting a dozen donuts on the break table. If people can't function properly at a work setting, perhaps they should remain at home, safe and sound from the "saboteurs" of the outside world.

High five.
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    I don't really like the term "sabotage" for this type of thing because no one is trying to derail your progress. You are responsible for the choices you make at work.

THIS
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member

High five.

Double-High five.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member

High five.

Double-High five.
    30709bc3c9b060baf771c0b2e2626f95-snow-white-high-five.gif
  • ChaplainHeavin
    Wow! This lady went nuts today at work because a couple of people brought in cake.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unxHTEdye2A
  • Diesel_Girl
    Diesel_Girl Posts: 39
    Do what I do, say "no thanks, I'm on a gluten free diet". Most people don't have a clue what gluten is. I've gotten out of so many less than great food choices this way. But once the public is more informed on gluten, this may not work. But I figure i'll have time to come up with something else before then,. :laugh:
  • ChaplainHeavin
    Wow! This lady went nuts today at work because a couple of people brought in cake.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unxHTEdye2A

And then this happened
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDkepTx-PnU
  • WorkingJedi
    WorkingJedi Posts: 10 Member
    Both interesting addiction and disease. The thing is obesity is referred to as a disease by some but scientists are divided on the subject and as for addiction well some doctors do consider food addiction is relevant to weight pain and salt and sugar are both addictive. Addiction can make us sensitive to automatic triggers and we need extra will power to beat the cravings. Also emotional highs and lows too can make us very susceptible to these triggers ...like donuts.

Anyway I say have the donut and try and good the next day.