Freelee the Banana Girl

Options

Replies

• Wade406
    Wade406 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I tried vegan for a bit. Too f'in hard to get protein without loading up on soy, and non-whey protein powders were nasty.

I know .. herbivore mammals are so under nourished and scrawny .... how could they 'possibly' get enough protein from plants?../sarcasm :huh:

I bet it has nothing to do with the fact that some of them have special stomachs designed to extract nutrients from plants.

Like gorillas.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    How do you explain these examples where people on high fat diets lose weight?

ketosis

Really? Really?!?

Look, I am a ketard. I'm averaging almost 80% calories from fat daily, just because. But, even I am not going to make the claim that I am losing weight because I am in ketosis. I am losing weight because eating this macro combination happens to work well (for me, not everyone) at controlling my cravings and I'm eating fewer calories than I burn.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    How do you explain these examples where people on high fat diets lose weight?

ketosis

Really? Really?!?

Look, I am a ketard. I'm averaging almost 80% calories from fat daily, just because. But, even I am not going to make the claim that I am losing weight because I am in ketosis. I am losing weight because eating this macro combination happens to work well (for me, not everyone) at controlling my cravings and I'm eating fewer calories than I burn.

^ Exactly.
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I tried vegan for a bit. Too f'in hard to get protein without loading up on soy, and non-whey protein powders were nasty.

I know .. herbivore mammals are so under nourished and scrawny .... how could they 'possibly' get enough protein from plants?../sarcasm :huh:

I bet it has nothing to do with the fact that some of them have special stomachs designed to extract nutrients from plants.

Like gorillas.

Gorillas eat insects.
  • MelonJMusic
    MelonJMusic Posts: 121 Member
    Options

Like gorillas.

Gorillas eat insects.

:bigsmile:
    *Sits back shoving popcorn in her mouth and giggling* This is getting REALLY good...
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Dude, that's your opinion. Your opinion is that my statements are incorrect. I disagree with you. I'm stating my opinion. I believe the research that I've considered validates my point of view. You believe that the research you've considered validates that I'm wrong. So what?
    At least the research SideSteel relies on is unbiased. There is no research that concludes that fat makes you fat, or anything that you've suggested.
    The experts I trust are Neal Barnard, T. Colin Campbell, Caldwell Esselstyn, John McDougall.
    These aren't nutrition experts. None of them. They are PETA-funded propagandists. Their ideas, books, blogs etc. are solely biased towards the PETA ideology.
    The majority opinion is not always correct. In the 50's the majority opinion was that smoking was not bad for your health.
    The scientific method, however, is correct. In the 50's any available science concluded smoking WAS bad for your health. No science showed otherwise then or now.

The scientific method tells us that animal foods are absolutely healthy. That is undeniable. The only argument comes from vegan activists using propaganda, faulty science and outright lies.
    Don't make the mistake of thinking that no one has the right to challenge your point of view. I welcome the challenge, but a simple assertion by anyone that says I'm wrong because they're right and they have abs is childish.
    Steel is right not because of his abs, but because of the independent research he's done and the conclusion he's reached for himself. If you consider "Forks over Knives" or PETA shills to be independent, you're either sadly ignorant or deluded.
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Wait. Wait, wait wait wait, why is anyone taking health advice from someone named "Freelee The Banana Girl"?
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    FYI, I maintain ketosis - I have for 99.9% of the last 41 months now. And I *GAIN* weight anytime I take in an excess of calories. Which I do twice a year during my "bulking" phase. And not a huge excess either - about 20-25% excess will have me steadily gain weight, just like a 20-25% deficit will have me lose it.

Believe me, if I could eat 5,000 calories a day without exercising and maintain my weight, I would. I love food. But it just isn't going to happen.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    Wait. Wait, wait wait wait, why is anyone taking health advice from someone named "Freelee The Banana Girl"?

Because people will believe almost anything to see on the interwebz.

I'm a french model.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Because bananas
    IjwBXMI.gif
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options

Some do - but there are plenty of plant based proteins that we can digest....
    Nuts! and seeds
    Beans and Pulses
    Grains (Quinoa for example)
    Fofu etc...etc...

There's zero need to be low on protein on a meat free diet.

P.S I eat meat because evolution made it tasty :-p
  • LotusAsh
    LotusAsh Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I have been eating 80/10/10 for at least 6 months now, and recently started adding in calories. I eat about 3,000 per day; I'm a 55 year old male.
    I ride my bike about 75-100 miles (4-6 hours) per week on average.
    As Freelee says carbs don't make you fat. It's a big fallacy. Fat makes you fat. Animal products make you fat.
    A calorie is not a calorie. Fiber is essential. Also look at John McDougall's work.
    Another YouTube person to watch that will better explain is Jay at PlantbasedAthlete.

DAFUQ
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Nuts! and seeds
    Beans and Pulses
    Fofu etc...etc...

True, you don't have to. But many many people going vegan don't think about that for even a second. They eat salads and bananas all day and think they're healthy. And that leads to them severely lacking in protein and dietary fats.
    It's the reason I prefer omnivorous diets. It's virtually impossible to be under the minimum recommendations for protein and fats on even the worst omnivorous diets. They might be lacking minerals and vitamins though. But those can be gotten by pretty much any fruits and vegetables while the other way around there's only a select few kinds of fruit and vegetables that are high enough in fat or protein to sustain a person.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options

True, you don't have to. But many many people going vegan don't think about that for even a second. They eat salads and bananas all day and think they're healthy. And that leads to them severely lacking in protein and dietary fats.
    It's the reason I prefer omnivorous diets. It's virtually impossible to be under the minimum recommendations for protein and fats on even the worst omnivorous diets. They might be lacking minerals and vitamins though. But those can be gotten by pretty much any fruits and vegetables while the other way around there's only a select few kinds of fruit and vegetables that are high enough in fat or protein to sustain a person.

Completely agree. I guess some folks jump into it feet first without adequate research.
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options

Nuts! and seeds
    Beans and Pulses
    Fofu etc...etc...

P.S I eat meat because evolution made it tasty :-p

Herbivores do not eat those foods. Cows eat grass, not tofu stir-fries with quinoa.

Yes, some people can do well on a vegan diet. But it IS harder to get protein if you're looking to get ~30% of your calories from protein and many vegans who are trying to get enough protein load up on soy and supplements. The alternative is to sit around eating vegetables all day long like an herbivore would. Ain't nobody got time (or the TP) for that.
  • Wade406
    Wade406 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Patiently awaiting a sensible response from 5iii.

I'm not sure what the question is.

Here's what I know: There's plenty of chatter on here about how my diet can't work, and that it won't work for them. And that the low carb high fat high protein style is what works.

But the thing is, you haven't tried it. You are going by what you've read what you've heard. That's fine, I don't care that much really. Do as you will, it's your body your health.

But I've eaten successfully both ways. I thought I was doing great on the low carb high everything else diet, at the time. I get it. But I know which is better for me, I know I can ride my bike really hard for a half day in a mountain bike race and not be sore the next day. I know that I'm lifting more in the health club and not suffering from nagging shoulder injuries that I could not shake on other diets.

So we can go round and round all day long, all night, days on end... whatever. But until you've done it for a reasonable amount of time, you are basing your opinion on preconceived notions formulated from the information you've chosen to consider. That is the very definition of BIAS.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    But the thing is, you haven't tried it. You are going by what you've read what you've heard. That's fine, I don't care that much really. Do as you will, it's your body your health.

How do you know what other people have tried?