Your MOST helpful tip to new users.

Options

Replies

• 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    For the first few weeks. Log your food BEFORE you put it in your mouth. Within the first few days you will find some eye opening surprises in calorie counts that will help you immensely going forward.

Log everything no matter what. If you have a bad day, and you most likely will occasionally, OWN it. Don't beat yourself up over it but admit it to yourself. If you lie to yourself this is never going to work.

Keep it simple. There are in fact many levels of weight loss and fitness but the one that matters MOST is finding your calorie goal and eating that goal as closely as you can. The rest can wait or even be ignored altogether!
  • ajones1965
    ajones1965 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    *Work on one day at a time, eat right, measure food accurately and do some exercise. Repeat again tomorrow
    * Set small goals as you go along. Reach your goal and set another one
    *Drink lots of water
    * It isn't a diet it is a change in the way you live, so take small steps if necessary.
    *Take measurements with the tape measure as well as log your weight.
    *Work on your core strength, work muscles, lift heavy

And don't beat yourself up if you have a bad day, learn the lessons from it!
  • sjd1974
    sjd1974 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    1) Record EVERYTHING you eat/drink. Don't fudge your diary, it will show on the scale if you do.
    2) Don't beat yourself up if you have a day where you just blow it. We all do, just get back on the program the next day.
    3) There is no magical formula, except to decrease calories and increase activity.
    4) A loss is a loss is a loss, even if it's .2 lb. Log it, but choose only one day a week to record your weight on MFP. Trust me, I've had losses of only .2lb and those losses add up!
    5) Drink tons of water.
  • jmb6739
    jmb6739 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Measure yourself. The scale doesn't always tell the whole story.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    There's a reason why there are dozens of people in a thread telling the OP that something is a stupid idea, and it has nothing to do with those people being big meanies, know-it-alls, or unsupportive. That reason is called science.
  • Technolero
    Technolero Posts: 90
    Options
    Burn more calories than you eat! If you decide (remember what and how much you eat each day is a decision) to consume more calories than your MFP nutritional goal is, then you better also decide to find a way to burn those calories.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    This is a tough question simply because I think people are in different circumstances and based on that, different advice may lead them down the right path.

I'm beginning to believe that guiding someone to success (specifically with regard to body recomposition) is just as much art as it is science, figuratively speaking.

With that being said, I think most of the steps that I'd take with someone to attempt to drive them to a successful path would revolve around manipulating program variables to maximize adherence. Some of those variables will vary heavily from person to person.

So that's my random reply.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." - Mark Twain
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Never give up and keep trying some new things. Experiment different methods for several weeks at a time to see which works for you.
  • kittenful
    kittenful Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Find a form of exercise that you genuinely enjoy. You'll be far more likely to follow through if you actually like what you're doing. Work up from there!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as a plateau and/or if you arent losing weight, you arent 'doing everything right'.

Another member wrote this posting, I would say weight plateau is a real thing but if you gain weight, you might have to wonder why? Its called weight plateau for a reason cos it exists. Perhaps it's nature's way of allowing the body to take a pause from a massive weight loss week before, perhaps it might be exercise (muscle weighs heavier than fat), who knows but this comment is negative in itself by other member because might be giving somebody on here wrong impression about their plateau in weight being their fault etc. I would say 1 week weight plateau is fine but if it's two, then action might be required.

A one week 'plateau' is hardly a stagnation in weight loss, regardless. This is like saying waiting in a queue on the motorway for 1 minute is called a traffic jam.

However, the people who claim 'oh I have been on a plateau now for 4 weeks' as if it is just an accepted part of weight loss, sometimes supposedly it lasts longer, are just in denial or not telling the truth.

A plateau is not a real thing. It is the equivalent of someone eating to maintain weight. So are people who are not looking to lose weight on a 'permanent plateau'?
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Sweat Daily! Make it a habit to sweat every day. Lift one day, run one day, ride a bike every day, stretch, yoga, aerobic classes, go to beach play frisbee, swim, do something

just sweat every day

Sweat Daily
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as a plateau and/or if you arent losing weight, you arent 'doing everything right'.

Another member wrote this posting, I would say weight plateau is a real thing but if you gain weight, you might have to wonder why? Its called weight plateau for a reason cos it exists. Perhaps it's nature's way of allowing the body to take a pause from a massive weight loss week before, perhaps it might be exercise (muscle weighs heavier than fat), who knows but this comment is negative in itself by other member because might be giving somebody on here wrong impression about their plateau in weight being their fault etc. I would say 1 week weight plateau is fine but if it's two, then action might be required.

Avoid reading and following advice like this.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Choose activity instead of inactivity (I heard that somewhere recently...probably on one of these message boards, and it has been my mantra ever since!).

Most people give up a weight loss or exercise program after 3 weeks. Don't be one of those people!
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Getting the good small habits down creates big changes.
  • DavePFJ
    DavePFJ Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Don't trust a message board. Be honest with yourself.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    Mine is definitely to be patient, as good things take time. What are your tips for new members, and those looking to reach fitness goals?
    this x100000000000
    also take forum posts with a grain of salt, and do your own research every once and awhile. most people on forums are just regurgitating second source info that is often misinterpreted (im sure ive done it too).

dont get upset when someone disagrees with you, except for the few trolls who are easy to spot, we are here to help each other. no-one wants to see you fail

read every post in the most monotonous tone possible, i see alot of threads go haywire that couldve ended up just fine if someone didnt assume they were being attacked
  • trinity5703
    trinity5703 Posts: 78
    Options
    Patience - You didnt gain the weight overnight, you wont loose it overnight.

Dont get yourself wrapped around the axel if you see a slight gain on the scale. The body does crazy stuff day to day and hour to hour... but its a hella awesome machine :)

Buy a kitchen scale and weigh EVERYTHING that goes into your mouth. You will be surprised what 4 oz really looks like.

One cookie, brownie, piece of pie, extra slice of pizza... Does not constitute failure. You live in the real world, so eat real food.. including the goodies :)

Dont focus on 50 pounds (or a 75 or a 100) you want/need to loose. Mentally break it into smaller more attainable goals. 5 pounds this month, 1 pound this week etc. Think of it as portion control for your mind :)

Find what works for YOU.... not what others think you should do, be it your daily calorie intake, exercise, or the type of food you eat. If there was anytime it should be ALL ABOUT YOU.. this is it :)

If anyone critizes your journey to a healthy you....spouse, family members, friends, co-workers etc. with those snide little comments we all hear from time to time.... Respond with "Im sorry you dont approve/agree, but really it IS all about me... I didnt invite you on my journey." - it shuts them up pretty quick.
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Buy a food scale and use it.

As for the forums, I've found that most of the posters offer helpful advice to those who are willing to hear it. There's a ton of support here for people who are looking to be healthy and fit. The snark usually only comes in when posters only want quick, unhealthy fixes, people trying to sell things, or broscience.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options

Avoid reading and following advice like this.

Yeah, that's right. When all else fails, just blame a make-believe plateau....