Your MOST helpful tip to new users.

Options

Replies

• joannaphipps00
    joannaphipps00 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have been at this for 60+days right now and I have managed to get my snacking some what controlled. My main frustration is that as soon as I lose a few pounds my body puts them right back on again. For example yesterday I was down three pounds from a weight bump, this morning I'm nearly back where I start 60 days ago. How in the hell does one avoid this?

:explode:
    Jo
  • chadwick175
    chadwick175 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    So true![

quote]
    Be honest with your food diary posts and don't skip anything!
    [/quote]
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Don't think of this as a final destination....even when you make it to your set 'goal' you'll still continue doing what you were doing to get to it. Or you'll have to start all over. So make sure the way you get to your goal is a way you'll be able to live forever.
  • Pamela_in_Progress
    Pamela_in_Progress Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    There are no 'good' foods or 'bad' foods. There is just food. Eat it. Log it. Adjust. Number-crunch. Want to add 200 cals there? Subtract them from here.

There are no 'cheat days'. It's not 'cheating' to eat. There are just days. Log. Adjust.

Don't demonise food.

There should be a "like" button in the forums! :drinker:
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Don't let another person's experience determine your success or lack of it. You are on your own journey. Try things that make sense to you and, if it doesn't work for you, move on
  • megan_plumb
    Options
    If you are really concerned about "going over" your calorie count, add a couple more calories than what you think it should be. I'm by no means trying to tell anyone to starve themselves, but be honest to yourself. If you feel like the suggested calories on the food diary isn't 100% correct for what you ate, add a couple calories on to it.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    For weight loss: get a digital food scale and weigh EVERYTHING. You will be surprised how much it really helps. You're probably eating more than you realize.

For fitness: start weight training from the gate. Seriously. Most people say "i'm going to start out doing nothing but cardio and then try to tone up later". NO! Do it all at once. It will take so much longer if you burn all your good muscle tissue away slaving for hours on the elliptical... preserve it as you go by doing BOTH now..and you will be MUCH happier with your results along the way... I promise! I wish people had told me that the first time around back in 2008 when I came to MFP. I lost about 25# but I still carried so much extra fat. I look leaner now at a heavier weight becuase of the lifting :)
  • honsi
    honsi Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Use digital scales and weigh everything you can.
    Be honest with your logging; not logging everything is just cheating yourself.
    There is no good or bad food, its just food.
    Set realistic goals and accept you are in it for the long haul; its not a diet its a lifestyle change.
    Don't compare your self to others, everybody's progress is complete individual and determined by a lot of different factors.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I asked a question about how to get a more accurate calorie burn number. Someone responded, "Everything we do is an estimate." and that was great information. I toddled off to just do the best I could and got great results.

When the results began to slow down, then stop completely, I thought I must be at the dreaded "plateau" and just kept on keeping on. But after a while it began to dawn on me that the newbie successes I had with "estimates" were starting to wear off. I was getting close to goal, and precision was called for. I got an on-body fitness tracker and started weighing pretty much EVERYTHING.

So my advice for new users is in the beginning, it's better to just do *something* than to try and be perfect. But later in the game, you may have to work a bit harder and don't let that discourage you. Keep going.
  • must_deflate
    must_deflate Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Keep your blood sugar and insulin levels steady!! This is crucial.

Avoid starchy stuff like grains, pasta, bread, and potatoes . Avoid sugary things. Eat meat, fish, poultry, eggs, vegetables, fruits, and good fats like olive oil.

Works for me. In fact, this is the only thing that works for me.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I) chose the diet that suits you - not just what the masses do.

2) research everything yourself - take no advice at face value.

3) Understand that on the forums the people on here are just faceless randoms (for support stick to your FL)

4) take nothing personally - a lot of people are dealing with their own issues and not all of them have been taught how to effectively/properly communicate with other people.

5) stick with it - and appreciate who you are and what you are achieving every day.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    KISS (Keep it simple stupid)

Step 1: Concentrate on finding the right (and safe) calorie deficit for you. Use the calculators as a guide. It takes some trial and error and patience. Be accurate (use a scale) and honest with your logging.

Step 2: Everything else. Don't move to this step until you get #1 down.
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    Don't rely on the scale alone. Take your measurements, and take pictures of yourself too.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Perfection isn't required for weight loss. Don't let yourself get caught up in the minutia. Do the best that you can today. Make changes so that tomorrow is better.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the process, do your homework, be honest, don't worship the scale alone, do this for yourself, and be patient.
  • crohnsfighter
    crohnsfighter Posts: 689 Member
    Options

This, and be curious. The more questions you ask about how you can improve, the more you'll find out.
  • nikkiworld2
    nikkiworld2 Posts: 75 Member
    Options

So true! If you bite it, write it!
  • PaulFields56
    PaulFields56 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Don't quit. Don't ever quit. Even if you have bad days, or weeks, or months, every day you are on track is a victory. The more victories you put together, the better results you will have, but even if you are not consistently on track, every day -- every meal -- is an opportunity to do well.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    When you first start out on this website, do NOT freak out if your macros are a bit off. In most cases you will be able to make adjustments as you go and still see a slow yet steady weight loss.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Weigh everything
    Eat the appropriate portion sizes
    Log / track everything
    Be honest with yourself
    Never stop doing it... even after you reach your goal

On another note... please remember to enjoy the journey and positive changes, enjoy your new life style and your new healthy body. Don't get so caught up in the numbers that you forget to live your life.