Your MOST helpful tip to new users.

Options

Replies

• disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    be honest with yourself and leave the excuses behind.
  • theJTfitness
    theJTfitness Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Use the message board! You have access to loads of advice from people who have been there and done that or are currently going through it with you. The best part is, it's FREE ADVICE. You don't have to pay a personal trainer who may or may not know what they're talking about.

Granted there is occasional bad advice on here, but MFP members have a way of calling people out on it. The bad rep the board gets is from when people who give bad advice get corrected and take it as rudeness. We don't sugarcoat things here and we don't allow advice that is harmful/untrue.
  • Julesbait
    Julesbait Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Don't do anything to lose weight that you're not willing to do for the rest of your life.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    1) Don't believe everything that you read!!! - Do your own research.

2) Abs are made in the Kitchen!!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Be patient

Buy a food scale, a $15 postage scale will work

80% of this battle is nutrition.

Don't let anyone tell you there is only one way, or a best way to do this. We each have our own comfort zones, body types, and real life schedule. Find what works for you. It may take a couple weeks to dial it in, and know that it is effective. That is why patience is the key. Also, what works for you at one point may quit working. Your body will adapt, you will need to change it up every once in a while.

While MFP may lead you to enter races, remember that losing weight is not a race.
  • SecretDuck
    SecretDuck Posts: 26
    Options
    You can enjoy any food in moderation. Going cold turkey will make you want to crave the food more.

I'm losing, even though I sometimes eat deli coleslaw and potato salad (both which are deemed to be unhealthy). Since I joined MFP, I just reduced the amount that I buy and eat.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    "You must worship at the altar of the Goddess of Good Form, for She is a fickle ***** who cosigns people to Snap City for the slightest of infractions against Her will."
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Weigh / measure and log everything.
  • theJTfitness
    theJTfitness Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Stay out of threads that have "1,200" in the title. Jk.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    [My first bit of advice would be to STOP MAKING EXCUSES.

Not enough time. Too tired. Holiday. Personal Problem. Birthday. Vacation. Work sabotage folks. Healty food too expensive. Etc.

Everyone who is overweight, myself included, has used one or more of these excuses. Often.

It isnt until you STOP MAKING EXCUSES that you truly will get it together.
  • Love2lift72
    Love2lift72 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    every journey begins with a single step.....and sometimes that step is a pothole....keep walking

Love this. And it applies to do much more than weight loss and exercise. Life is full of potholes (like the past 2 weeks of skipping my workout). Get over them, keep hobbling along and you'll be moving again soon.
  • oldantired
    oldantired Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
  • cniemann26
    cniemann26 Posts: 49
    Options
    Don't compare yourself to others. Instead of being discouraged because other's have lost more weight than you, or this person looks this way, or what have you, be encouraged and inspired by each other's stories. Not only that but encourage others, everyone could use more positivity and support.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as bad food. Don't try to stick to only salads and protein shakes, you have to do a lifestyle that you can sustain forever. Eat clean 95% of the time, and then if you feel like a slice of cheesecake, have one!

I see too many people that diet like crazy, eating a super low number and nothing with fat or sugar in it. Then when they fail because they can't resist having a piece of chocolate, they are super discouraged and spiral into more failures and end up binge eating because "F*** it, I already cheated today"

Food is good, and everything in moderation is fine.

Except Meth. Probably not good even in moderation.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Pro-Tip: Don't let other people decide how you feel. Whether it's someone telling you you're wrong on a forum, a lady at work critical of your workout or diet plan, or that guy who thought you were pregnant. You can't control how other, terrible people act, what they say, and how they live their lives. You can only control how you react to those people.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    "You must worship at the altar of the Goddess of Good Form, for She is a fickle ***** who cosigns people to Snap City for the slightest of infractions against Her will."

Hahhaa, this is awesome!

Also, the word you needed there was "consigns" not cosigns.
  • 86sarahb
    86sarahb Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Log your foods honestly, even if it is a lot of calories and you want to hide it, it doesn't matter it will open your eyes to nutritional values.

Build up a friend base for support (Feel free to add me btw :smile: ) check out their diaries for food ideas so you don't get bored of eating the same things day in day out.

And....... patience..... it didn't go on overnight and it's not going to come off overnight. One bad meal can't won't you fat just like one good meal won't make you skinny!!
  • Frood42
    Frood42 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Search function.

Some topics have been worked through several times... :laugh:
  • biscuitwelsh
    biscuitwelsh Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    THIS IS SPARTA!!!!!
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    1. Start with a small deficit. Figure your intake from there.

2. Eat what you want in moderation

3. Get a food scale

4. Log accurately (weigh and measure everything)

5. If you have a question you want to ask on the message boards, use the search option at the top of the page. Most of the time your question has been asked and answered a few time before.

6. Have patience this takes time.