Your MOST helpful tip to new users.

Options

Replies

• sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Wanting some tips/links for myself ;)

I agree with patience being huge! As well as staying realistic - do what is sustainable in your life!
  • GeordieGirl80s
    GeordieGirl80s Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    If you eat one bad meal, don't blow the whole day. It will not make or break you...you just have to pull it together directly afterwards and then get right back on track.

Totally agree with this. On the same vein, a bad day does not need to mean the whole week is a write-off. Just chalk it up to experience and get back on the diet/healthy eating/fitness wagon the next day.
  • grim_streaker
    grim_streaker Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    DON'T EVER GIVE UP!
    this is a lifetime commitment, not a quick fix :)

And never be afraid to ask, no questions are stupid
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Start slow so the changes can become permanent. Pick one thing every week or so - whether that is quitting soda, going for a walk, weighing food. Pick one - do it consistently for a few days, then add another change. That way you aren't overwhelmed.

Any movement is better than none. You are going to burn more calories (creating your deficit) if you are doing anything other than sitting on the couch with a remote. Don't let someone tell you - Only weights, or only cardio - or the elliptical won't work.......find what works for you and go for it!

LOG EVERYTHING ACCURATELY - get a scale (for food and you!) Get measuring cups and spoons and a $3 tape measure from the store (I even found one at Walgreens!) Log food, log exercise, log weight, log measurements - then you can see what you are doing right and wrong.

Lastly - take the boards with a grain of salt......some good advice, some horrible. Some Nice, Some rude. Take what you find and research it on your own - GOOGLE is your friend! Also, when a majority is saying something on here - it is probably good advice. If something sounds strange it just might be - look it up on your own.
  • tomaspetro
    tomaspetro Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    Don't Panic!
    Panic can lead to quitting
    Panic can make you set unrealistic goals
    Panic can make you forget your goals
    Panic can make you sound like a raving lunatic
    Panic can hide what's right in front of you
    Take a deep breath tweak your approach if needed and don't panic.
  • askcupid117
    askcupid117 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Don't think of this as a final destination....even when you make it to your set 'goal' you'll still continue doing what you were doing to get to it. Or you'll have to start all over. So make sure the way you get to your goal is a way you'll be able to live forever.

^^ This is SO True!
  • seabirdie12
    seabirdie12 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    This is my first post but I've been at this for a while so I wanted to share.

Don't wait until everything is perfect before you start. Things will *never* be perfect. There will always be something going on. Stress, birthdays, holidays, parties, get togethers, etc. Just start.

You don't have to stress about big things in the beginning. Don't worry about macros, timing, etc. etc. You'll get lost in the sauce and feel overwhelmed by all the different information and opinions. You need to find what works for you, so start slow. Start by just tracking your calories. Soon you'll realize that maybe lucky charms for breakfast doesn't keep you as full as a bowl of oatmeal does. Or If you cut out some of the sugar / sodas you drink you could have room for more food calories. It's a process. You don't need to know everything before you start. Just start.

I'll say it again. Just. Start.
  • nsimon24
    nsimon24 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Use the topic search button for the keywords in the question you may have - it will avoid getting rude answers and help you narrow your question down if needed (and also give you an idea of if the topic is a hot button that triggers rude answers).

Don't feed the trolls. Even to let them know you are aware/think they are trolls. Just ignore them.

There is a lot of experience on the boards, but it is still the internet. Follow up independently on things and educate yourself!
  • Stilllosing26
    Stilllosing26 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Use the topic search button for the keywords in the question you may have - it will avoid getting rude answers and help you narrow your question down if needed (and also give you an idea of if the topic is a hot button that triggers rude answers).

Don't feed the trolls. Even to let them know you are aware/think they are trolls. Just ignore them.

There is a lot of experience on the boards, but it is still the internet. Follow up independently on things and educate yourself!
    Nice!
  • Nuccia2012
    Nuccia2012 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Just start. Start slow and healthy habits layer by layer. Be consistent. Be persistent.
    Put yourself first, even when it feels unnatural to do so. When you are your best self, you are able to better serve others.
    Stay positive. Rejoice in the little victories.
    Eat the damn cupcake/peanut butter/ice cream if you want it.
    Stay active in your community, be it virtual (MFP) or other otherwise. Reach out to others.

Dare to take the first step. It's so easy to stay safe. It's so rewarding to be your best, most amazing self.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    One thing I forgot. If you choose an exercise program, make sure you enjoy it. Enjoying the activity means you'll actually do it. Don't let the fitness industry box you into something that's not enjoyable.
  • freddi11e
    freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    just dont stop. dont stop trying. i lost two pounds last week. gained 1 back this week (doesnt have to be your story lol) but the point is, i continue this journey. i will not give up.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Consistency is key.

Pick a plan. Stick with it for 2-3 months, then evaluate. If you second guess your plan and change it up week to week you might make some progress but you will never know what works for you and what doesn't. Approach it scientifically. Choose a course of action and stick with it rigidly for a least a couple of months even if in the first few weeks it doesn't seem to be "working". Even if at the end of 3 months you haven't lost weight it isn't a waste of time, you have just successfully measured your maintenance intake level better and more accurately than any calculator or personal trainer ever could. Now you know EXACTLY what you need to do.
  • Point202
    Point202 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Two months in and I've learned that protein and veggies make you feel full and help manage calories for the day.
  • Nedra19455
    Nedra19455 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    This is your weightloss journey. Nobody is making you do this except yourself. There is no cheating, there are no rules. Use MFP as a tool to help you make your own plans.

I don't claim to weigh every single thing I put in my mouth. I do not eat "clean." I don't pay a lot of attention to my macros and use them more for information than for guidance. I estimate a lot when I am not the one doing the cooking. I don't even log fruits and vegetables (when eaten fresh as snacks) because I know I need an incentive to eat more of them. When I stop seeing results, I will reevaluate these decisions and make changes in order to improve my accuracy and ensure that my diet is balanced. Until then, I will just keep doing what I am doing. It's not cheating if you acknowledge what you're doing and don't fool yourself into thinking you're doing everything "perfectly." It's your plan -- make it work for your goals.
  • Chelz2013
    Chelz2013 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • Chrissy8172
    Chrissy8172 Posts: 29
    Options
    Don't lose your motivation if you have a bad day! I have to remind myself of this all the time, but it's so true. Just pick back up the next day.
  • mlyn0812
    mlyn0812 Posts: 31
    Options
    The number on the scale will mess with your head as it normally fluctuates a bit throughout the day and the week for a variety of reasons so don't get so worked up when it doesn't seem to cooperate. The mirror and clothes are much better indicators of progress.
  • hyg99
    hyg99 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Like a boy scout, "be prepared". Every night I do my next days lunch and that's exactly what I eat.

If I'm hungry I am in danger ... so eat your calories.

I always freeze left over food, gives me more variety in my work lunches, as well as cost and time saving.

If I know a meal is going to be higher than normal (night out) then I plAn my other food round it.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Be consistent and don't overcomplicate things