Low Carb or No Carb … pros and cons of either?

Options
12345679»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - trust me if you try to restrict these foods you are going to crave them and just end up binging on them ..

You can learn to eat the foods you like and eat in a deficit…just eat less of them….IF you really think that you are going to avoid white carbs for the rest of your life and that it is sustainable for you, then by all means do it.
    You admit that if a person craves a food strong enough, then they're at risk of binging on it.
    But they are judged wrong for avoiding those cravings? For practicing saying no to the cravings? And for not rewarding those cravings?

Saying no to those cravings, and avoiding the foods that encourage those cravings doesn't mean an end-all-be-all thing. It does mean that for now the person might find it easier to say no to all, but down the road they will have gained enough willpower to have a little of them without fear of binging.

when you totally eliminate something because you think it is "bad" you typically end up craving that food because you have totally eliminated it. Look, I used to buy into all this "carbs are bad", "sugar is bad", "don't eat carbs after 7pom" bs too; however, I found that it would work for a few weeks and then some nights I would be starving and eat a whole box of triscuits or whatever carb that I had in the house, and then I would feel like absolute crap....

So instead of totally eliminating them from my life, I found that I can eat them in moderation (30% carbs a day), eat in a deficit, lift heavy, and I have been losing weight and lowering body fat at the same time.

that is my point...
  • anndelise
    anndelise Posts: 14
    Options
    You admit that if a person craves a food strong enough, then they're at risk of binging on it.
    But they are judged wrong for avoiding those cravings? For practicing saying no to the cravings? And for not rewarding those cravings?

Saying no to those cravings, and avoiding the foods that encourage those cravings doesn't mean an end-all-be-all thing. It does mean that for now the person might find it easier to say no to all, but down the road they will have gained enough willpower to have a little of them without fear of binging.

when you totally eliminate something because you think it is "bad" you typically end up craving that food because you have totally eliminated it. Look, I used to buy into all this "carbs are bad", "sugar is bad", "don't eat carbs after 7pom" bs too; however, I found that it would work for a few weeks and then some nights I would be starving and eat a whole box of triscuits or whatever carb that I had in the house, and then I would feel like absolute crap....

So instead of totally eliminating them from my life, I found that I can eat them in moderation (30% carbs a day), eat in a deficit, lift heavy, and I have been losing weight and lowering body fat at the same time.

that is my point...
    Understandable. And kudos for finding something that worked for you. Seriously. (I like hearing about successes.)

Can you recognize, though, that some people (who aren't you) might feel that type and strength of craving every time they eat pastas, breads, cakes, candies, etc? And that they might need more practice saying no to the cravings before they can successfully eat those foods "in moderation"? Or even that maybe they could use some taste retraining? (For example, learning to crave vegetables and fruits rather than just sugars and starches?)
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options

that is my point...
    ... and the fact it worked for YOU is great.

But you must admit, there are hundreds of people on MFP who state moderation DOESN'T work for them. That "moderation" is what makes them crave, and restriction helps eliminate craving and binges.

The problem is you stated emphatically that the OP shouldn't restrict, because they'll end up going on a carb binge - drawing on your experience (and likely the experience of others *like* you).

Not everyone is you.

It's a very common push from the IIFYM crowd that 'moderation' is the key, and that it's the only thing that works - when, in point of fact, that's simply not true. There's just as many people experiencing good health and great dietary control from restriction as there are from moderation.

If you want to come and state your experience, and what worked for you, that's fine and I think everyone is perfectly OK with that. But it's just not truthful to say your way (reduction/moderation as-opposed to restriction) is the best or only way, and that any other method is doomed to failure...

... that's OUR point.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Not really, though. I mean, the whole point isn't just to lose weight, but to do so in a sustainable way so that you're not fat again in a year or five or ten. Do you plan to ALWAYS cut sugar and other simple carbs? Your whole life? Or would you rather learn to make peace with sugar and eat sugary treats in reasonable moderation within your caloric budget?
    I eat white rice here and there, but pretty much I have avoided white bread for about 20 years. There are multigrains, wheat bread, oat bread...so many other options.

I can't eat low carb, way too high fat for me and when I tried it, I was one of those with a very bad reaction to it. Granted, I could have ate less fat, but right now I eat 45% protein, 35% carbs, 20% fat, and that is working for me.

I have read a lot of studies that say long-term the very high fat is not good for you, but you can only decide what to do for yourself.

I have not had bread since January, not bread of any kind, I am just starting to work some things back in, but honestly when I did eat bread it was mostly flat bread, pita bread (preferably multi-grain) or things like that, and I was never a huge bread eater.

I look at what I am getting out of the food nutritionally speaking. If I can get a lot more bang for my buck for less calories and carbs (like with the multi-grain flat breads) than that is what I choose. White bread is on my list of foods best avoided, so is white rice, although I will eat that I would much rather have brown, have not had white rice since January either, but have had brown lots of times.
  • anndelise
    Options
    I just looked up what IIFYM meant. But even they say
    As a basic rule, shoot for 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight. After that, the rest is up to you. Generally, if you’re naturally leaner or looking to bulk up, get the majority of your remaining calories from carbs. If you tend to carry more fat, have a slow metabolism or want to lean down, then go for a slightly higher fat intake and lower the carbs. That’s about it – it doesn’t get much simpler.

I see nothing yet specifically contradictory to LCHF.
    1. Both figure out the required amount of protein specific to the individual, the individual's goals, and activity level.
    2. Both say that if you are already lean or are looking to bulk up, then eat more carbs. (LCHF uses adjusted diets like Targeted Keto and refeedings. So that the carbs are used for what they are meant to be used for.)
    3.Both say that if you tend to carry more fat (which most females do), or if you have a slower metabolism, or want to get leaner, then fats>carbs.
  • demonwithahalo
    demonwithahalo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Low carb is as great option as long as you're willing to eat a ton of leafy greens. You can always look into the Keto diet if you think you have the ability to consume a lot of healthy fats, moderate amount of protein, and low carb. Different diets work for different people. I did straight calorie restriction for years without much sustainable loss, but have been quite successful losing weight by eating about my body weight in protein, under 50 g carbs per day, and making up the rest in fat. Just recently started Keto diet, so I can't give you any results as of yet, but I've done a ton of research and it seems promising as long as you stick to it, and make sure to eat the right vegetables/meats.

http://www.reddit.com/r/keto
    I have found this to be a great resource on everything Keto. Reddit also has some subreddits about low carb, and weight loss in general.

Good luck!
  • jaxbucsfan
    jaxbucsfan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'll weigh in here...

And for clarification... I did not read all 7 pages of replies, so if I'm restating the obvious, forgive me.

Low Carb / No Carb - Been there done that!

I've struggled with weight my entire adult life. I've never been massively obese, but have always been in need of losing 20-30 lbs. I've done Atkins, South Beach, etc... Long story short, now in my 40's, I've had to simplify my process. What's good for me? Not about losing weight as is it about being healthy. Yes, losing weight is part of that. But eating healthy and working out will naturally take the wight off. So here's what I try to do...

1) Eat a moderate amount of fish 3-4 nights per week. (4-6oz)
    2) Eat Vegetables, grilled, roasted, sauteed at least 2-3 servings sometimes in one meal
    3) Eat healthy carbs when appropriate. Vegetables have carbs.
    4) I stick to natural sugars as much as possible and try to eat them after exercise to help restore glycogen levels. I try to avoid them otherwise, except where not possible (apples in a salad).
    5) Protein gm / day (Body Weight * .08). Lean Protein where ever possible & beans
    6) Healthy Fats - Walnuts, Almonds, Fish, etc...
    7) Don't stress - Yesterday I had "Donuts with Dad" at my kids school function. Yes, I had all 190 calories of one. Last week was my bday... yes I had a small piece of cake. I like a cocktail at night... it goes against ever diet out there, but thats what I do and I don't stress about it.

I'm sure I'm probably over simplifying this, but essentially I try to keep the Mediterranean thought process. I don't "Follow" it, but conceptually...

Hope this helps
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

that is my point...

But you must admit, there are hundreds of people on MFP who state moderation DOESN'T work for them. That "moderation" is what makes them crave, and restriction helps eliminate craving and binges.

The problem is you stated emphatically that the OP shouldn't restrict, because they'll end up going on a carb binge - drawing on your experience (and likely the experience of others *like* you).

Not everyone is you.

It's a very common push from the IIFYM crowd that 'moderation' is the key, and that it's the only thing that works - when, in point of fact, that's simply not true. There's just as many people experiencing good health and great dietary control from restriction as there are from moderation.

If you want to come and state your experience, and what worked for you, that's fine and I think everyone is perfectly OK with that. But it's just not truthful to say your way (reduction/moderation as-opposed to restriction) is the best or only way, and that any other method is doomed to failure...

... that's OUR point.

back to my original point which is that barring some kind of medical condition, which the OP never said she had, you can eat "white" carbs, be in a deficit and lose weight..

I don't understand why you would be so against eating the foods one likes and eating them in moderation ..

for the record, I do not do IIFYM...and really I could care less what OP does..she asked for pros and cons on either and I gave them..
  • anndelise
    Options

that is my point...

Not everyone is you.

... that's OUR point.

back to my original point which is that barring some kind of medical condition, which the OP never said she had, you can eat "white" carbs, be in a deficit and lose weight..

I don't understand why you would be so against eating the foods one likes and eating them in moderation ..

for the record, I do not do IIFYM...and really I could care less what OP does..she asked for pros and cons on either and I gave them..
    There is a difference between saying
    a) some people can eat foods they crave, in moderation, without worrying about binging
    vs
    b) because those people can, therefore you (OP, and everyone else) should do so, too

There is also a difference between saying
    c) some people can't (yet) moderate the foods they crave, so they choose to avoid them (for now)
    vs
    d) noone should eat foods they like, nor eat them in moderation.

You appear to be saying a and b, while accusing the other person of saying d.
    Meanwhile the other person is saying a, c, and not b, and leaving it up to each individual to decide for themselves what they feel capable of handling.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

that is my point...

Not everyone is you.

... that's OUR point.

There is a difference between saying
    a) some people can eat foods they crave, in moderation, without worrying about binging
    vs
    b) because those people can, therefore you (OP, and everyone else) should do so, too

There is also a difference between saying
    c) some people can't (yet) moderate the foods they crave, so they choose to avoid them (for now)
    vs
    d) noone should eat foods they like, nor eat them in moderation.

You appear to be saying a and b, while accusing the other person of saying d.
    Meanwhile the other person is saying a, c, and not b, and leaving it up to each individual to decide for themselves what they feel capable of handling.

Wow that explanation was like an episode of Soap! But I agree with it!
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Pros: quick weight loss usually in the form of water weight.

Cons: constipation, fatigue, bad skin, brittle nails, weight gain long term, digestion issues, always looking tired.

I've gotten over my "processed carb" habit by eating more fruit, if you want something sweet eat fruit. If you want salty it's due to a mineral the body needs found in greens. I have way more energy and I literally hop out of bed and go for a run without any preform out food/drink. Yea I still eat pasta and potatoes, just no added oil and butter (which also caused fatigue for me at least).

I think you are confusing the bolded part for a SAD packed full of junk food and carbs!

I would like to see the studies proving your claims!