How do you remember your routine at gym?

Options
1235»

Replies

• The_WoIverine
    The_WoIverine Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I think the reason it looks silly to me is instead of staying constantly moving and heart rate up in the prime zone for weight loss they are stopping every few minutes to jot something down or looking for somewhere to put their notebook or where did their pencil go......your completely right though - they are probably the smart ones. I apologize for calling them silly.

Wish there was an app that would lead my vocally through the workouts like a personal trainer.

Actually getting your heart right up and down it is a GREAT thing for weight loss. That's part of the principles of HIIT and Interval Training.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I think the reason it looks silly to me is instead of staying constantly moving and heart rate up in the prime zone for weight loss they are stopping every few minutes to jot something down or looking for somewhere to put their notebook or where did their pencil go......your completely right though - they are probably the smart ones. I apologize for calling them silly.

Wish there was an app that would lead my vocally through the workouts like a personal trainer.

I would guess most people in the weightlifting areas are there for strength training and/or body building and not circuit training. Keeping their heart rate up or in any kind of zone is not a priority for them. Taking enough rest to be able to complete their next set is.

Circuit training works for a lot of people but I found that trying to mix my strength training with my cardio was not as effective doing them at separate times.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

weightlifting isn't the same as cardio- you aren't trying to get your heart rate up- it's not about that- it's about getting your lifts in- proper form and gaining strength.

You WANT to be rested- and bringing the heart rate down- gives you more for the next lift.

There is no "fat burning zone" There is "eat at deficit"- "lift weights to not lose muscle mass"- and "do cardio so you can eat more and still be in a deficit."

and I probably spend less time writing down what I do than I do flipping through face book (which I do both of between lifts-) which is still probably less time than someone spends wandering around not knowing what they are doing or what they are doing next.

Book- back- pen- phone- belt and jump rope. I know where my stuff is- it's not hide and seek where's waldo- the bag goes next to the squat rack. and that's it.

You're massively over thinking this my dear.

Get a small gym bag- put a towel- extra pair of shorts and socks a note book two pens and a water bottle in it- and you're good to go.
  • tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I use a google spreadsheet and open it from my phone.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

I would guess most people in the weightlifting areas are there for strength training and/or body building and not circuit training. Keeping their heart rate up or in any kind of zone is not a priority for them. Taking enough rest to be able to complete their next set is.

Yep. Resting between sets can be important. Depends on your goals, of course.

I keep my notebook in my pocket with my pen. Combat trousers, mind, so plenty of space.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I apologize for calling them silly.
    Indeed - to me the silly person is the one in the weights room worrying about "the prime zone for weight loss". ;)

For the record, the 'prime zone for weight loss' is pretty much your maximum heart rate.
    Yes, you burn carbs AND fat here. Burning carbs means your body will, with the same food intake, burn more fat later.

The "fat burning zone" means pretty much nothing - it's the point where your body is burning a bigger PROPORTION of fat. But that's a bigger proportion from a SMALLER number.
  • scb515
    scb515 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My trainer wrote a plan with me and drew pictures on it. At my gym, we have a pigeon hole system where all those written plans are kept. I pick mine up at the start of every session and put it back at the end.

My workout is relatively simple, but I have to divert all brainpower to sticking with the exercise and not walking out, so the bit of paper is key. I don't have spare brain cells to remember anything when I'm in the gym.

Nothing wrong with writing stuff down!
  • hellokathy
    hellokathy Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I go by the alphanumeric 'names' on the machines. I'm pretty bad with forgetting stuff but strangely, these always seemed to stick with me so far. If that changes, I'll probably carry the plan around with me that my trainer filled out for me. They fill them out and then have shelves full of folders with them in the gym, so every member can just go and get theirs if they need it for their workout. I used to do that in the beginning but found that I never looked at it anyway.
  • Tomm88
    Tomm88 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Evernote, i have workout logs dating back a year or so now, before that it was the good old ink and paper.
  • bonzodearie
    Options
    I just use a bit of paper for a week. I don't keep anything apart from the one from the first week so I can look back and see how far I've come. Might try using my phone's notepad, but I do not need another app.
  • bobbinalong
    bobbinalong Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I guess I look silly I carry a notebook and since I can't see to read, a pair of reading glasses. ..

Yeah!!!!
  • ronrstaats
    ronrstaats Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    It's burned into my brain

This, I have an extremely good memory. I just remember what to do and how much weight I used the last time.
  • johnnyhatesjazz
    johnnyhatesjazz Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Write everything down after about 4 or 5 trips you will automaticly remember like clockwork
  • McCrabby
    McCrabby Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I take a notebook.... I actually feel less silly with it than without.
  • Resolve2B
    Resolve2B Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    So glad to have come upon this thread. I'm intending to head back to the gym next week (after trying unsuccessfully for weeks to discipline myself to do a home workout program of ANY kind). I plan to use the machines (yes...free weights are better, I know) :wink: as I did a number of years ago when I was probably in the best shape I've ever been in.

When I first started using the machines years ago there was a spot in the room in which one could keep log sheets and a pile of clipboards. Almost everyone carried around their clipboard. I really liked seeing how long I was at a certain weight...it helped me figure out when to increase.

Then the gym went to the computerized system in which each machine had a unit in which one could plug in a code and access a personal chart. I hated that because it slowed everything down...frustrating to be waiting for a machine occupied by someone fumbling with the tracking unit so I just tried to keep track in my head rather than contribute to that slow down.

Now I've been away from the machines too long so I"m going to have to do some trial and error to figure out how much weight is a good "working weight" for me as my baseline. I'll need to keep track of that. I think I'll start with a spiral notebook as many suggested.

I appreciated the question and the responses!
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Not sure if anyone else mentioned it but a little trick I use is to do the exercises in order of weight being lifted so I am always going up to a harder weight on the next set. Gives the mind something to organize with. Lat Pull Down 120 lbs goes to Chest Press 140 lbs for example or you could go in reverse if you want to hit muscles biggest to smallest. Plus it sort of drives you to push EVERYTHING up as you progress.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    This was mentioned earlier in this thread.
    JeFit App. Open routine, exercise day & start. Each exercise in order with the # reps, weight, rest time pre loaded. Just log as you go. After sync with www.jefit.com web site. There even a place for notes.
    There's no voice (only beeps), but it does lead you through your routine. It will beep to start a set and again when the rest interval is over. It'll tell you what to do next. For example if you've just finished your last last set of pull ups it will tell you to prepare for push ups or whatever exercise is next in your routine. It's free, you could drive it around a bit to see how it works.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I just use a cheap little notebook and jot down the weight and reps for every set I do. It's not high tech, but at least I can look back and see my progress. Maybe it does look silly. It's much sillier to not have any record of your progress.

If you're serious about it, keep track of it somehow. Just by doing that, you're giving yourself a huge advantage. It's like tracking calories. If you keep track of what you've been eating, it makes it a lot easier to make adjustments to manipulate your weight. The person who isn't tracking doesn't have a damn clue where they are.
  • craftyshan
    craftyshan Posts: 2
    Options
    I also use the Fitness Buddy app and I really love it. I'll review my workout while I'm warming up, then I don't always need to open it throughout my workout, maybe just once in the middle. I add the new stuff at the very end of the workout.