What are your Gym Hacks?

Options

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    A hack (in the sense I think the OP was trying to use it) is using something in a way it wasn't intended in order to accomplish something, or to solve a problem. Like using duct tape to fix a leaky boat would be a hack. Peeing in a radiator is a hack. Using a screwdriver to complete a circuit would be a hack. Etc.

Chewing gum is not a hack. (Using it to plug a flat tire would be a hack.)

Adding flavor to water is not a hack.

Freezing water in the freezer is not a hack.

Since gym clothes are intended to be worn to a gym, wearing gym clothes to the gym is not a hack.

Keeping extra equipment as a backup is not a hack.

Using wipes for their intended purpoe, to wipe yourself clean, is not a hack.

Using bluetooth for the exact purpose bluetooth was intended, is not a hack.

Using a smith machine to do calf-raises and using a box to get better range of motion would be a hack.

Watching people is not a hack.

Wearing sweat-removal equipment for the purpose of sweat removal is not a hack.

I don't even know what you're talking about with the hat, but it sounds like things that hats do all the time.

Cleaning your shoes with shoe-cleaning spray is not a hack.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Okay, I made a smarta$$ reply. Here are my serious ones.

1. I don't have pockets in my running capris, so when I do races I tie my key into my laces then tuck the end into the criss-crossed laces towards the toe.
    2. I glued a pool noodle around PVC pipe to make my own foam roller.
    3. Glute-Ham raises on the seat of the lat pull down machine.
    4. If the seated military press and squat rack are taken I straddle a bench facing the bar to do seated military press.
    5. If there is no standing leg curl machine you can use a seated leg extension machine by standing between the seat and the leg pad.
    6. If the captain's chair is taken and the pull up bars you can do leg raises on the dip station by locking out your arms (also adds difficulty).
    7. Bumper plates can add height to a box for box jumps (although I'm sure most of you know that).
    8. Yarn and washers can be used as microplates. If you can't jump from 35 pound dumbbells to 40 pound dumbbells tying washers on can create an incremental weight. Now you can add 2 or 3 pounds without having to jump up 5.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    Okay, I made a smarta$$ reply. Here are my serious ones.

1. I don't have pockets in my running capris, so when I do races I tie my key into my laces then tuck the end into the criss-crossed laces towards the toe.
    3. Glute-Ham raises on the seat of the lat pull down machine.
    4. If the seated military press and squat rack are taken I straddle a bench facing the bar to do seated military press.
    5. If there is no standing leg curl machine you can use a seated leg extension machine by standing between the seat and the leg pad.
    6. If the captain's chair is taken and the pull up bars you can do leg raises on the dip station by locking out your arms (also adds difficulty).
    7. Bumper plates can add height to a box for box jumps (although I'm sure most of you know that).
    8. Yarn and washers can be used as microplates. If you can't jump from 35 pound dumbbells to 40 pound dumbbells tying washers on can create an incremental weight. Now you can add 2 or 3 pounds without having to jump up 5.

Now these are hacks. Bravo!! (saving for later)
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    Such a strong correlation between the number of posts someone has and their level of douchebaggery on this thread. 18k plus posts in a year? You must be the authority on sarcasm.

Wow, what a great dig. Too bad no one knows who you are talking about since you don't know how to use the quote button.

Unless you do and you did it on purpose, then nice way to be passive aggressive.
  • yumbinkbugonrox
    yumbinkbugonrox Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I like to do 10 minutes of cardio before I lift to warm up, but when I'm on my last 2 minutes, I start scanning the gym to determine if the equipment I want to use is free. I also go with a set "schedule" of exercises I want to do, and a plan b for if those machines or equipment are in use. Also, my cardio hack is a combination of andrew wk, studio killers, early/poppy beatles, and madonna. I also say to myself, 5 more minutes, and when 5 minutes pass, i say, "5 more minutes"...then my time is up.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Such a strong correlation between the number of posts someone has and their level of douchebaggery on this thread. 18k plus posts in a year? You must be the authority on sarcasm.

You have 118 in 2 months and you post this.

The logic is strong with this one.
  • Edmond_Dantes
    Edmond_Dantes Posts: 185 Member
    Options

What? You want to invest in some reading comprehension.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    My gym hack?

Not working out in a gym.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I know "hack" is a cool word to use these days, but maybe in a non-creeper way you could study other people's use of the word and figure out how you should be using it.

concur.
    tumblr_m81efoicir1r927dro1_500-gif-300x168_zps64aa23db.jpg

I think by hack he doesn't mean hack.
    I think he means just doing things that work for you for your day to day tasks.

If he said that- things might have turned out differently.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

What? You want to invest in some reading comprehension.

Do I? Or you do?. I am saying that you have relatively few posts in your two month tenure here, compared to the people with 18k in a year you are talking about, yet you have this "douchbaggy" post about people who are "authorities on sarcasm".

If you don't see the irony...
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I pay someone to work out at the gym for me.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Usually try to eat a light snack an hour before going to the gym. Peanut butter on toast, or sardines and crackers--some protein combined with a complex carbohydrate.
    try to warm up on a stair climber or treadmill at least 15 or 20 minutes before lifting to get my heart rate up.
    Establish a focal point when lifting. throws me off when someone walks in front of it. GRRRR! try to have a workout established in head before getting there. Take bottled water and refill as necessary.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I love the idea of a wrist band. I am going to steal that idea!

my hacks are: I always have a jar of peanut butter and some apples at my desk for some quick pre OR post work out fuel.

I pack my gym bag before bed (and get my work outfit ready) so there is less thinking in the morning

I work out on my lunch break 5 days a week- im lucky to have a gym two floors below my office but I only get 60 mins for lunch. So I do strength intervals on weights days. Swtich upper to lower body exercises with no rests in between- upper, lower, upper, lower- til have done all my exercises, at least 2 sets. (I alternate running days with strength days)

I eat half my lunch, digest for 30 mins and then workout hard. An hour or so have workout I eat the other half. I never feel "full" but I am also never starving

I do shower quickly after my workout but I don't wash my face bc I don't have time to put the makeup back on. I might take a wash cloth and wash around my face- but leave the eye makeup on

I always warm up with some light cardio before lifting so I don't get hurt. I don't bother stretching since it really doesn't do much. If I am sore I will foam roll
  • Dozer91
    Dozer91 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I focus on sports training instead of gyming it for the sake of gyming it. It gives me the motivation to train harder because for some reason I feel I have more of a purpose for doing it. I take boxing lessons, swim and play hockey once a week. My gym workouts go from hitting the heavy bag, interval training, trail skating and lifting to supplement the lessons. Now I know for sure that when I go into maintenance mode after I reach my goal, going to the gym won't be a problem.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I once read an article that said that flexibility is really more of a nervous system hack than a changing of tissue due to stretching. So, my gym hack is being very flexible in flow yoga and enjoying stretching as many muscles and connective tissue as I can in dancing. It feels so good.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Pool noodles are also good for making a bar pad.

Here's using the squat rack to do assisted handstand pushups:
    hspushup_zps39b0b03c.gif

(I wonder if I tried that in a gym if it'd get video'd and become a gym meme.:laugh: )
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I like to not change my underwear for a week then go to the gym and do cardio for a long time so everyone can get a wiff
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I like using the plates with holes in them to add weight to the barbell.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

hspushup_zps39b0b03c.gif

(I wonder if I tried that in a gym if it'd get video'd and become a gym meme.:laugh: )

I use boxes or the wall to do that- I'm sure I've gotten laughed at - except I have phenomenal shoulders- so they don't laugh for very long.
  • wendyg311
    wendyg311 Posts: 239 Member
    Options

hspushup_zps39b0b03c.gif

OMG!! For some reason this guy STRUCK me with laughter.....oh, my abs...