Options

Replies

• cldmolly
    cldmolly Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Let's talk cottage cheese

Ugh lets not, its like cold snot.

mmmm yummy cold snot.

How would you know, nose picker-er and eater?
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Some people mix pineapple into it. Say its amazing. I think that's blasphemy...almost as bad as putting pineapple on pizza.

Oh my....Canadian bacon & pineapple :love:
  • cldmolly
    cldmolly Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Some people mix pineapple into it. Say its amazing. I think that's blasphemy...almost as bad as putting pineapple on pizza.

ham and pineapple pizza is my fave. (I'm Canadian!)

pineapple in any form is delish!
  • ywalchle
    ywalchle Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    well, personally i love it as is.
    but!!!!!!!!!! putting it in smoothies with fruit makes it taste like you're drinking liquid cheesecake
    ohhhhhhhhhhhh good idea! I'll have to try that!
  • ywalchle
    ywalchle Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese, I normally get the 4% small curd like others here, I typically add salt and pepper to it, but once in a while I will add pepperoni (particularly the smaller pepperoni made for salads) or eat it with potato chips, using the chips as my spoon. Seeing all the options others have posted here though makes me want to go try a bunch now!
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options

I think that's a Canadian thing, I went to Hawaii, and they thought I was crazy and laughed like loons when I told them we call it Hawaiian Pizza.

On the OP, I get mine homemade from the farmers market, and I spring for the full fat. And then from spoon to mouth goodness.
  • 2BeHappy2
    Options

:laugh: That's too funny....Ill go for "ham" :tongue:
  • 2BeHappy2
    Options

I think that's a Canadian thing, I went to Hawaii, and they thought I was crazy and laughed like loons when I told them we call it Hawaiian Pizza.

On the OP, I get mine homemade from the farmers market, and I spring for the full fat. And then from spoon to mouth goodness.

Yeah...Ive heard that term used...Hawaiian...Canadian bacon...Ham :love:
  • liebchen57
    liebchen57 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Kudsen's is the best. The pink one, 2%, I think. Try it with salsa...delicious!
  • jms1002013
    jms1002013 Posts: 6
    Options
    pineapple or chives work for me
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I love it as is, or with fruit, or pb, or salsa and beans, in or on anything that I used to put cheese in or on, like burritos. And this week at work I stirred it into a tin of soup I had been avoiding, along with some vegetables it made a heavily processed food into a healthier tastier, protein rich dish
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    One thing that I decided early in my weight loss was that I was never going to make myself eat food that I didn't like just for the sake of losing weight. Why make it harder than it needs to be? There are other foods that you won't have to make yourself like that will get you the same results.
  • uchube
    uchube Posts: 44
    Options
    I'm loving cottage cheese so much I have it everyday for breakfast. Mine's .9g fat per 100g and I eat the whole 300g tub, so it is definitely a low-fat version! I use branflakes with pomegranate seeds, or raspberries with a bit of stevia powder, as toppings.
  • gemmamummy
    gemmamummy Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    In the UK,they do cottage cheese with pineapple already mixed in, this can be quite sugary, so I have 150g of plain cottage cheese, 50g of the stuff with pineapple in and 15g of low fat peanut butter. Great snack!
  • katkins73
    katkins73 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese is so versatile, I love it! The trick is to find the best one by trying some different brands, the one Iike is thick (so none of that horrid liquid!) and 4% fat but that is ok, it is still low cal compared to most protein foods. I'm a Brit ands love mine with Marmite - OMG it is heaven on a Ryvita with Marmite, cottage cheese and sliced raw onion! I also love it with grapes. My daughter has it with strawberries and chopped nuts. I buy flavour drops from My Protein and in some of the reviews, people say they mix them with cottage cheese. Have you tried quark? That also has a lot of protein and it is more like a cream cheese crossed with Greek yoghurt in my opinion. I used to mix flavoured protein with it for a dessert.
  • lucful
    lucful Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Anyone have a suggested brand of a lower sodium cottage cheese. The ones I find are hagher tsn I hoped, I want yo try it, but I cant have a lot of salt.
  • LessHeavyVeggie
    LessHeavyVeggie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I grew up eating cottage cheese so it's like second nature to me, but I just have it plain, on toast/crackers maybe with cucumber/tomatoes and black pepper. I've never gotten my head around putting fruit/sweet things into it, but each to their own! I can see some chili sauce working but really I like it plain.

One thing I've found is (in my supermarket at least - Tescos in uk) is that the cheap/'value' one is the nicest! Stronger taste and better texture in my opinion. I've tried the own brand and the fancy one and the less fat one, but the cheap one is still the best - it's traditionally a cheap product so I guess that makes sense.

But if you really don't like it, why eat it? I had the same thing with olives - they seem like a great idea and look sophisticated with wine, but I just can't make myself like them so I've given up the olive dream!
  • LauriePar
    LauriePar Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I grow chives in my flower garden right out the front door--- nothing better than fresh chives in low fat cottage cheese. And cottage cheese is a great calcium source also!
  • RiverRun61
    RiverRun61 Posts: 20
    Options
    I hated cottage cheese until I tried the full fat variety. YES PLEASE. SO much better. You can make it sweet with fruits, or even chocolate chips (haven't tried that one yet) or go savory with various herbs and spices. I just eat the full fat kind plain.

Ditto - even the full fat (4%) is low in calories, and the fat satisfies so you'll feel fuller. I like to add savory herbs...
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I like plain old unadorned cottage cheese all by itself. But then I like plain yogurt too so you can pretty much discount me.