Pop Tarts

Options
So, I haven't had them in years (Not that I was avoiding them but I had other goodies in mind!) but I saw a Brown Sugar Cinnamon one in the grocery the other day and it caught my attention! I absolutely LOVE cinnamon! I never saw that flavor before. I think the last one I had was a chocolate chip one.

Anyway, is it worth buying? calories Or just ehhh?

What's your favorite Pop Tart flavor?

(Or should I just get fig newtons? Lol)

Replies

• DataSeven
    DataSeven Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way when I saw the peanut butter variety of pop tarts. I chose not to buy them. But if you want one, then have one. Just remember that it's empty calories that's not really providing any nutrition.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I say that they're not really worth the calories for how not-filling they are, but trying one out doesn't hurt at all!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    One pastry is about 200 calories. I think for a treat they are worth it especially if you cut one in half and put ice cream between the halfs. My favorites are brown sugar cinnamon and confetti cupcake. Red velvet are alright especially warm, but I didn't think either of the peanut butter ones were worth it.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Bumping this because some of my friends are into pop tarts.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Pop-tarts aren't worth the calories or carbs to me. They aren't nutritious and leave most feeling hungry.

I think the brown sugar cinnamon comes in reduced fat as well.
  • DellaWiedel
    DellaWiedel Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Pop-tarts seem to get a lot of flack on the message boards for some reason. LOL Personally I like the strawberry and the chocolate fudge the best, but for some reason Pop-tarts make me have crazy acid reflux so I've stopped eating them. :(
  • YearsWorthOfFAT
    Options
    I don't think they are worth buying. They don't keep me filled up and if i wanted them i'd have to give the other one to a friend during my break because.... yeah they are not worth it.

Except for a treat.
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I love wildberry poptarts sooo much. I don't buy them cause I would probably eat the whole box in one sitting.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Well, I wouldn't say the are empty calories, completely. Look at the label, they have some nutrients ... not the same as a fruit or vegetable (or even a whole-grain), but better than most cookies. So if you look at it as a treat rather than a meal, and account for the calories and macros, it's actually not too bad.

I can't speak for the flavor - I don't think I've ever had the cinnamon ones. I only buy pop-tarts occasionally, usually when we're traveling and need easy, portable snacks. But I say that if you have the control to practice moderation, go for it! I especially like the idea to cut one in half and make it an ice cream sandwich. Sounds delicious!
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    For me, pop tarts were magical as a child but kind of lackluster as an adult. You might find them disappointing but it's worth a try (I'd rather have a cinnamon roll though haha)
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    One pastry is about 200 calories. I think for a treat they are worth it especially if you cut one in half and put ice cream between the halfs. My favorites are brown sugar cinnamon and confetti cupcake. Red velvet are alright especially warm, but I didn't think either of the peanut butter ones were worth it.

^This. I had my first pop-tart ice cream sandwich the other night, and it was a fun treat. I tried the confetti cupcake, it was decent. I was surprised at how much pop tart flavors have changed since I was a kid, the ones I remember aren't even available anymore or are just available as special flavors from time to time. I wouldn't eat one for breakfast, but for dessert it's not terrible calorie-wise and generally fits where my macros are at the point in the day. We let my kids try one and neither one liked it.

I just bought my husband a huge box of the Brown Sugar Cinnamon for work. The guys in his office do shift work, so there is someone working in there 24/7, and outside food choices are pretty limited at 3 am. They keep stashes of food in the office and pop tarts are a favorite.
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options

I agree! Pop Tart ice cream sandwiches are fab :heart:

I was really disappointed with the peanut butter ones as well. Frosted cherry is still my favorite, although the chocolate fudge are a close second.

Edited 'cause I can't spell :grumble:
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

The bolded part is pure brilliance!
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I'll pass up a pop tart 99.9% of thé time. we make baklava.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

i kind of agree. i hadn't had a pop tart in years until joining MFP. then just to prove i could eat them and that processed food isn't the devil so many people think it is, i started buying them. i had forgotten how easy it was to eat 3 or 4 packs at a time. d'oh! so i stopped buying them. they are just a little too convenient as a snack to have around the house for me (i.e. what some might call a trigger food i guess). all that said, the pumpkin pie ones that are available seasonally are pretty darned good.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmmmmm. Brown sugar cinnamon (not frosted) is my absolute favorite. I've even found a recipe and made them from scratch. I don't eat them a lot, but when I really want one, I find a way to work it into my day.

f066bc059475a202acd147d58427c4bf.jpg
  • mamaleftwich
    mamaleftwich Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    My favorite are the strawberry flavored! I usually don't buy them anymore either. I've never tried the cinnamon and brown sugar flavor but would love to try the pumpkin and the red velvet but more than likely won't because there are other things that I would rather have and use my calories there!
  • xostarchickaxo
    xostarchickaxo Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Special K makes these things called "Pastry Crisps". They have them in all the standard pop tarts flavors, but you get two of them for 100 calories and they taste almost identical (they're just a bit smaller and the crust is thinner). I eat them for breakfast on the go and they taste so indulgent.
  • WanderingPomme
    WanderingPomme Posts: 601 Member
    Options

OH MY GAWDDDD. That is brilliant!! Ice cream sandwich poptarts! Nommm.

THERE ARE RED VELVET ONES NOW!?

Oh my how the flavors have evolved!!!
    Special K makes these things called "Pastry Crisps". They have them in all the standard pop tarts flavors, but you get two of them for 100 calories and they taste almost identical (they're just a bit smaller and the crust is thinner). I eat them for breakfast on the go and they taste so indulgent.

I saw those online! Unfortunately they don't have it where I live yet. :( Same goes for the reduced fat brown sugar cinnamon ones. :(

Okay, after tallying the results. Many of you have said go for it, some said not worth it and the rest have stopped buying them because they are so darn good.

I have decided! I shall get some Pop Tarts this week and see how it goes. Hopefully I don't eat the whole box. Lol :laugh:

Thank you for the responses!:flowerforyou:
  • craziedazie
    craziedazie Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I love strawberry pop tarts melted with butter. It's like a once a month treat.