Pop Tarts

Replies

• BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,064 Member
    PopTarts.jpg
  • JamieJam1102
    JamieJam1102 Posts: 308 Member
    My favorite is the un-frosted strawberry ones.

Un-frosted Pop Tarts should have been discontinued as soon as frosting was invented.

That's just straight blasphemy.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    You can make your own pop-tarts out of pie crust and whatever filling you want. Surely they would end up healthier than the pre-made boxed ones?
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    PopTarts.jpg

I want to give a big french kiss to the person who thought, "Let's put peanut butter in them" . These are best made into a sammich with ice cream right after it comes out of the toaster. It's okay if you get a bit messy, experimenting is fun
  • DataSeven
    DataSeven Posts: 245 Member
    The Special K Crisps have the following flavors where I live:

Regular crisp:

Strawberry
    Blueberry
    Chocolate Cream
    Brown Sugar Cinnamon

Chocolate crisp:
    Cookies n Cream (oreo) flavor
    Caramel filled

They are a fair compromise with the pop tart, and just like pop tarts, they come in packs of 2, but the whole pack is only 100 calories.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    I felt the same way when I saw the peanut butter variety of pop tarts. I chose not to buy them. But if you want one, then have one. Just remember that it's empty calories that's not really providing any nutrition.

Empty calories??? No nutrition???

LOL

Okay, I'm in...

...to learn more about the supposed nutritional nothingness that are Poptarts.

(PS: Frosted brown sugar cinnamon or GTFO.)

ETA: And what is with demonizing them because they "aren't filling"??? If you're sticking to an appropriate calorie target/deficit, why does it matter if you're filled up??? Stick to your target, be a little hungry sometimes, reach your goal.

TL;DR - there's more to the evaluation of a food than its filling/calories ratio.

(Sorry, I just get a little emotional when people start beating up on the food of the gods.)
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,064 Member
    PopTarts.jpg

I want to give a big french kiss to the person who thought, "Let's put peanut butter in them" . These are best made into a sammich with ice cream right after it comes out of the toaster. It's okay if you get a bit messy, experimenting is fun

Oh I have to try these with ice cream now.
  • jofjltncb6
    Brown Sugar have been around in like forever!! Loved to eat the outside all the way around first then devour the yummy frosting covered pastries...haven't had one in a few years but when I did, loved those toasted and untoasted!! Holy crap flashback!! LOL

LOL

That's how I used to eat them too...

...and by "used to", I mean, "still".
  • jofjltncb6
    My favorite is the un-frosted strawberry ones.

Un-frosted Pop Tarts should have been discontinued as soon as frosting was invented.

Testify!

Was always awful when my mom accidentally bought the unfrosted ones.

*sigh*
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    One pastry is about 200 calories. I think for a treat they are worth it especially if you cut one in half and put ice cream between the halfs. My favorites are brown sugar cinnamon and confetti cupcake. Red velvet are alright especially warm, but I didn't think either of the peanut butter ones were worth it.

You take that back! :tongue:

I used to have a (single) Pop Tart ice cream sandwich on my cardio days, like so...

PhotoGrid_1399572154118_zps9ytlkmcq.jpg

I gave them up for more ice cream. For now.

ETA my kids love the brown sugar cinnamon, but my faves are both peanut butter flavors, pumpkin pie (available around Halloween), s'mores and cookies & cream. I'd say marshmallow hot chocolate, but I didn't see them bring it back this year. All the Pop Tarts above are chocolate peanut butter, except the birthday cake one, which was just ok to me.
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    The peanut butter ones taste like cookies to me, which isn't a bad thing, I save calories for them some days. :)

Is there a cookie dough one yet -_-
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    My son and I like them toasted and smear a little butter on them.
    You know just to make them shiny...lol
    Brown sugar cinnamon..

sxgca9.jpg
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    The peanut butter ones taste like cookies to me, which isn't a bad thing, I save calories for them some days. :)

6yp25v.jpg
  • sw33tp3a11
    sw33tp3a11 Posts: 4,646 Member
    I absolutely love anything that has brown sugar and cinnamon flavor. I don't buy them often because at 400 calories a pair is insane and I cant just eat one. I need the pair lol Brown sugar and cinnamon oatmeal is the bomb too.
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member

6yp25v.jpg

I just died of happiness. They don't have them in my area, I'm gonna have to go hunting on the interwebs after I am resurrected.
  • dbrinee
    dbrinee Posts: 1
    I had to try the peanut butter ones....they were awful and not worth the one bite I had before I threw it away!!!
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    I had to try the peanut butter ones....they were awful and not worth the one bite I had before I threw it away!!!

Strong first post
  • DataSeven
    DataSeven Posts: 245 Member

LOL

Okay, I'm in...

ETA: And what is with demonizing them because they "aren't filling"??? If you're sticking to an appropriate calorie target/deficit, why does it matter if you're filled up??? Stick to your target, be a little hungry sometimes, reach your goal.

TL;DR - there's more to the evaluation of a food than its filling/calories ratio.

(Sorry, I just get a little emotional when people start beating up on the food of the gods.)

No srsly... nutritionally they're pretty empty. If they fulfill some kind of emotional need, then have at it. Emotional eating is why I'm a fatty fat now, so I can't buy into your argument. :)
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Wow, pop tarts - I haven't had one since like the 80s! I do remember liking the frosted strawberry ones a whole lot as a kid, but who knows if they even taste like that anymore.
  • jofjltncb6

LOL

Okay, I'm in...

No srsly... nutritionally they're pretty empty. If they fulfill some kind of emotional need, then have at it. Emotional eating is why I'm a fatty fat now, so I can't buy into your argument. :)

I'd wager that you aren't overweight now because of the type of food you ate, but the quantity. You can emotionally eat "healthy" nutrient-dense food too. I've seen it done.

Poptarts have nutrition. They also provide energy. As a guy who maintains on 2900 calories, I'm not going to get all of my calories from "healthy" nutrient-dense food. Poptarts (and foods like it) have a place in my diet. To dismiss them as "empty" demonizes the food in a way that it doesn't deserve.

Now if you're saying that *you* lack the willpower to eat them and stay within your calorie limits, then I won't argue with you about that...but I will argue if you say the reason for this is because of something special about the food itself. This is a human problem, not a food problem. (I'll also argue if you espouse that it is essential (or even optimal) for everyone's weight loss that they also entirely cut out foods like poptarts.)

(Recently, I have been substituting "bowl of ice cream" for poptarts in the above narrative...but thanks to this thread, I think it's time to break out a box...of frosted brown sugar cinnamon, of course...because there is no other *real* poptart.)