Options

Replies

• DataSeven
    DataSeven Posts: 245 Member
    Options

Empty calories??? No nutrition???

LOL

Okay, I'm in...

...to learn more about the supposed nutritional nothingness that are Poptarts.

(PS: Frosted brown sugar cinnamon or GTFO.)

ETA: And what is with demonizing them because they "aren't filling"??? If you're sticking to an appropriate calorie target/deficit, why does it matter if you're filled up??? Stick to your target, be a little hungry sometimes, reach your goal.

TL;DR - there's more to the evaluation of a food than its filling/calories ratio.

(Sorry, I just get a little emotional when people start beating up on the food of the gods.)

No srsly... nutritionally they're pretty empty. If they fulfill some kind of emotional need, then have at it. Emotional eating is why I'm a fatty fat now, so I can't buy into your argument. :)
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Wow, pop tarts - I haven't had one since like the 80s! I do remember liking the frosted strawberry ones a whole lot as a kid, but who knows if they even taste like that anymore.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Empty calories??? No nutrition???

LOL

Okay, I'm in...

...to learn more about the supposed nutritional nothingness that are Poptarts.

(PS: Frosted brown sugar cinnamon or GTFO.)

ETA: And what is with demonizing them because they "aren't filling"??? If you're sticking to an appropriate calorie target/deficit, why does it matter if you're filled up??? Stick to your target, be a little hungry sometimes, reach your goal.

TL;DR - there's more to the evaluation of a food than its filling/calories ratio.

(Sorry, I just get a little emotional when people start beating up on the food of the gods.)

No srsly... nutritionally they're pretty empty. If they fulfill some kind of emotional need, then have at it. Emotional eating is why I'm a fatty fat now, so I can't buy into your argument. :)

I'd wager that you aren't overweight now because of the type of food you ate, but the quantity. You can emotionally eat "healthy" nutrient-dense food too. I've seen it done.

Poptarts have nutrition. They also provide energy. As a guy who maintains on 2900 calories, I'm not going to get all of my calories from "healthy" nutrient-dense food. Poptarts (and foods like it) have a place in my diet. To dismiss them as "empty" demonizes the food in a way that it doesn't deserve.

Now if you're saying that *you* lack the willpower to eat them and stay within your calorie limits, then I won't argue with you about that...but I will argue if you say the reason for this is because of something special about the food itself. This is a human problem, not a food problem. (I'll also argue if you espouse that it is essential (or even optimal) for everyone's weight loss that they also entirely cut out foods like poptarts.)

(Recently, I have been substituting "bowl of ice cream" for poptarts in the above narrative...but thanks to this thread, I think it's time to break out a box...of frosted brown sugar cinnamon, of course...because there is no other *real* poptart.)
  • BuildaBetterBody4
    Options
    Check the search for Natures path Organic nongmo pop tarts and compare them to your run of the mill brand. No high fructose corn syrup in those.
  • WanderingPomme
    WanderingPomme Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    The ones I have here are the UNFROSTED Brown Sugar Cinnamon ones!! We don't have the frosted one. :( Can I just frost them myself? Lol I still have the other one from the pack. I wonder what I should do with it?! Should I give it another chance?

1. Toast and spread butter on it?
    2. Put stewed cinnamon apples on it? Kind of like an apple pie crust!? *drools*
    3. #2 + vanilla ice cream?
    4. Throw it away?

It just seemed bland to me, like a sad pastry dessert. :( I don't really mind if it's filling or if it's nutritional or not, I just wanted to try it and have it as like a treat, dessert or whatever! It's just a Pop Tart! Made it fit into my day! :smile:
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I don't like them. It's not that they are bad. It's that ice cream and cookies are better.
  • gelar93
    gelar93 Posts: 160
    Options
    I am 20 years old, and I haven't had a single Pop Tart ever in my life :O
  • CarolinkaCjj
    CarolinkaCjj Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Goat-Cheese-and-Strawberry-Poptarts

103-recipe_poptarts_800x1200.jpg

This intrigues me and scares me at the same time.
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    Pop Tarts? Never heard of 'em.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    To me, the only flavor worth the calories is Wildberry. But then I will eat one a day until they are gone. Ok, sometimes 2 a day. So I don't buy them. Toaster Strudel are SO much better in general than Pop Tarts. Just sayin.

On second thought, if I am going to blow 200 cals on a pastry, it is definitely going to be a Krispy Kreme!
  • DataSeven
    DataSeven Posts: 245 Member
    Options

I'd wager that you aren't overweight now because of the type of food you ate, but the quantity. You can emotionally eat "healthy" nutrient-dense food too. I've seen it done.

Poptarts have nutrition. They also provide energy. As a guy who maintains on 2900 calories, I'm not going to get all of my calories from "healthy" nutrient-dense food. Poptarts (and foods like it) have a place in my diet. To dismiss them as "empty" demonizes the food in a way that it doesn't deserve.

Now if you're saying that *you* lack the willpower to eat them and stay within your calorie limits, then I won't argue with you about that...but I will argue if you say the reason for this is because of something special about the food itself. This is a human problem, not a food problem. (I'll also argue if you espouse that it is essential (or even optimal) for everyone's weight loss that they also entirely cut out foods like poptarts.)

(Recently, I have been substituting "bowl of ice cream" for poptarts in the above narrative...but thanks to this thread, I think it's time to break out a box...of frosted brown sugar cinnamon, of course...because there is no other *real* poptart.)

I can most certainly have one and stay within my goal limits. I'm all for the idea 'if you want one, have one and track it' I'm also not saying that there's no place for empty calories in a diet, I was just arguing against someone saying they were 'nutritious' as though using that to justify eating one. It's not nutritious, but it tastes good. And it if tastes good, then eat it because it tastes good, but don't bs yourself into thinking it's good for you, yaknow?
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Cherry Poptarts all the way!!! And at 200 calories a pop (no pun intended, of course) they make a great dessert that has less calories than many other desserts out there (like, say, a Klondike bar of which has been my dessert of choice lately).
  • abrockhausen
    abrockhausen Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My huby can't stand to have poptarts in the house because they have no nitritional value as a breakfast. I used to hide a box of Smores poptarts so I could have them as a treat.
    Food has nutritional value. It may not be a balanced meal to have just pop tarts but you can't say they have no nutritional value.

Yeah, that was just his way of saying they werent a good enough breakfast for the kids. I occasionally would let them have them for breakfast (while he was away) just paired it with milk and fresh fruit.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    They're a fabulous treat and especially when I have loads of calls to use up at the end of the day from cardio. I love the peanut butter and chocolate ones.

However at the moment I am trying to avoid processed food and do strength, so Pop Tarts are out for me at the moment, but I dare say I will indulge again soon!
  • igsalem
    igsalem Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    those look super yummy!
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

I can most certainly have one and stay within my goal limits. I'm all for the idea 'if you want one, have one and track it' I'm also not saying that there's no place for empty calories in a diet, I was just arguing against someone saying they were 'nutritious' as though using that to justify eating one. It's not nutritious, but it tastes good. And it if tastes good, then eat it because it tastes good, but don't bs yourself into thinking it's good for you, yaknow?

If I eat fewer than ~3000 daily calories, I lose lean muscle mass. It is a struggle to eat 3000 daily calories of "healthy" food every day and have made myself physically ill in this pursuit before. By adding a bowl of ice cream (or some poptarts), I can reach my calorie goals. In this context, the calorie dense foods are good for me. They also provide some nutrition in the form of vitamins (albeit "fortified" which is the equivalent of a low dose multivitamin, but nutrition nonetheless).

Should they be eaten in place of foods that would help someone reach their required/minimum/optimal nutrition needs? Of course not. But once those are met, there is nothing unhealthy about this particular food and in certain contexts (like my personal situation as outlined above), it is useful in meeting certain personal health goals.

TL;DR - Hail Poptarts! Long may they reign!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I am 20 years old, and I haven't had a single Pop Tart ever in my life :O

:cry: :brokenheart:
  • amperry328
    amperry328 Posts: 21
    Options
    Those are by far my favorite pop tarts!!! Actually, it's the only will I will even eat. DELICIOUS :)
  • WanderingPomme
    WanderingPomme Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    So I gave Pop Tarts another chance... Straight out of the package this time. No bueno. :indifferent: Ended up making my own brown sugar cinnamon toast to satisfy my brown sugar cinnamon craving. :laugh:
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    So I gave Pop Tarts another chance... Straight out of the package this time. No bueno. :indifferent: Ended up making my own brown sugar cinnamon toast to satisfy my brown sugar cinnamon craving. :laugh:

Straight out of the package?!??

:angry:

What part of toaster pastry do you not understand?