Negative calorie foods

Options
Does everyone include negative calorie foods in there food diary? I've always included them, but I got to thinking this morning that if they're negative calories, should I really be including them? Opinions appreciated. :)

Replies

• lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Everything you eat has calories. Everything.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    They don't exist.
    See above
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    this can't be serious....
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    negative calorie foods are a myth
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I vote corn.

if it comes out looking about the same as when I ate it- I'm going with a none food.

But I still count it. :drinker:
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Tang
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    All food has calories. If you mean 0, then yes, I still include them. For example, diet soda has 0 calories, but contains sodium which I track.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    They don't exist.
    Yep.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Someone told you about cauliflower didn't they?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Does everyone include negative calorie foods in there food diary? I've always included them, but I got to thinking this morning that if they're negative calories, should I really be including them? Opinions appreciated. :)
    Go on give us an example of a negative calorie food I'm intrigued !
  • Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    There is no food that has less calories in it than it takes to digest. One "food calorie" is actually equal to 1000 calorie units of energy or a kilocalorie. Digestion does not require that much energy.
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    i think shes talking abt fruits and vegtables that take more calories to digest than the food itself offers. Like celery. And yes count them.
  • AnthonyThrashD
    Options
    chewing one dill spear
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I vote corn.

if it comes out looking about the same as when I ate it- I'm going with a none food.

But I still count it. :drinker:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options

Lol, that's why you're my friend
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    They don't exist.
    See above

This.

Sorry, OP but those are just a pipe dream.

Side note: As I wrote the above statement, I realized that while I know what constitutes a 'pipe dream' I had no idea why it meant what it did. Thanks to google: the derivation of pipe dream - from the fantasies brought about by the smoking of opium
    First Known Use: 1890

I just thought it was important to learn something in this thread.
  • qwicherbytchin
    Options
    A negative-calorie food would be a food that required more food energy to be digested than it provided. That is, its thermic effect – the caloric "cost" of digesting the food – would be greater than its food energy content. The thermic effect is scientifically called specific dynamic action. While this concept is popular in dieting guides, there is no scientific evidence supporting the idea that any food is a negative-calorie food.

Negative calorie vegetables: Aubergine, Asparagus, Broccoli, Cabbage, Carrots, Cauliflower, Celery, Chicory, Cress, Cucumber, Fennel, Gourd, Leek, Lettuce, Marrow,Peppers, Radish, Spinach,Tomato, Turnip, etc.
    Negative calorie fruits: Apricot, Blackberry Blackcurrant, Clementines, Damsons, Grapefruit, Guava, Honeydew Melon, Lemon, Mandarin orange, Melon Cantaloupe, Peaches, Plums, Raspberry, Rhubarb, Strawberry, Tangerine, Watermelon
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    They don't exist.
    See above

This.

Sorry, OP but those are just a pipe dream.

Side note: As I wrote the above statement, I realized that while I know what constitutes a 'pipe dream' I had no idea why it meant what it did. Thanks to google: the derivation of pipe dream - from the fantasies brought about by the smoking of opium

<and the more you know>>>>>>

actually that is cool- I did learn something today!
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options

I need more pipe dreams