Negative calorie foods

Options

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    A negative-calorie food would be a food that required more food energy to be digested than it provided. That is, its thermic effect – the caloric "cost" of digesting the food – would be greater than its food energy content. The thermic effect is scientifically called specific dynamic action. While this concept is popular in dieting guides, there is no scientific evidence supporting the idea that any food is a negative-calorie food.

Negative calorie vegetables: Aubergine, Asparagus, Broccoli, Cabbage, Carrots, Cauliflower, Celery, Chicory, Cress, Cucumber, Fennel, Gourd, Leek, Lettuce, Marrow,Peppers, Radish, Spinach,Tomato, Turnip, etc.
    Negative calorie fruits: Apricot, Blackberry Blackcurrant, Clementines, Damsons, Grapefruit, Guava, Honeydew Melon, Lemon, Mandarin orange, Melon Cantaloupe, Peaches, Plums, Raspberry, Rhubarb, Strawberry, Tangerine, Watermelon

No to all of the above especially all of the listed fruits. If you eat enough of any of those foods, you'd gain weight. They are not negative calorie foods.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    They don't exist.
    See above

This.

Sorry, OP but those are just a pipe dream.

Side note: As I wrote the above statement, I realized that while I know what constitutes a 'pipe dream' I had no idea why it meant what it did. Thanks to google: the derivation of pipe dream - from the fantasies brought about by the smoking of opium
    First Known Use: 1890

I just thought it was important to learn something in this thread.

<and the more you know>>>>>>

actually that is cool- I did learn something today!

th?id=HN.608023784213577814&pid=1.7
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    If a calorie = a unit of energy, then negative calories = negative energy. You find that and you've got yourself a time machine, i think.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Where do I find these negative calorie foods? I will pay my life savings!!
  • SlightlyMadman
    SlightlyMadman Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative-calorie_food

There's never been any evidence to support their existence.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    A negative-calorie food would be a food that required more food energy to be digested than it provided. That is, its thermic effect – the caloric "cost" of digesting the food – would be greater than its food energy content. The thermic effect is scientifically called specific dynamic action. While this concept is popular in dieting guides, there is no scientific evidence supporting the idea that any food is a negative-calorie food.

Negative calorie vegetables: Aubergine, Asparagus, Broccoli, Cabbage, Carrots, Cauliflower, Celery, Chicory, Cress, Cucumber, Fennel, Gourd, Leek, Lettuce, Marrow,Peppers, Radish, Spinach,Tomato, Turnip, etc.
    Negative calorie fruits: Apricot, Blackberry Blackcurrant, Clementines, Damsons, Grapefruit, Guava, Honeydew Melon, Lemon, Mandarin orange, Melon Cantaloupe, Peaches, Plums, Raspberry, Rhubarb, Strawberry, Tangerine, Watermelon

Do yourself a really BIG favor.

Ditch this whole zero calorie food thing and just log EVERYTHING. In fact, for best practices, weigh it all out on a food scale.

If you don't do this, then bookmark this thread and when you are about to make a "Help, I'm not losing" thread, reference this and get an idea of where you are going wrong.
  • Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Side note: As I wrote the above statement, I realized that while I know what constitutes a 'pipe dream' I had no idea why it meant what it did. Thanks to google: the derivation of pipe dream - from the fantasies brought about by the smoking of opium

I need more pipe dreams

I need more tequila dreams.
  • sstolii123
    sstolii123 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    They don't exist.
    See above

This.

Thanks for the Pipe dream definition!!

The only thing that takes more calories to digest is water!
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options

There's never been any evidence that Wikipedia is accurate. Just sayin'
  • random_user75
    random_user75 Posts: 157 Member
    Options

Neato! I like learning!
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options

I dare you to eat nothing but those items but eat more than your maintenance calorie allowance and then tell us if they are negative calorie. :flowerforyou:
  • SlightlyMadman
    SlightlyMadman Posts: 35 Member
    Options

There's never been any evidence that Wikipedia is accurate. Just sayin'

Ok, then look at it this way: you ever seen an animal that eats only vegetables (herbivore)? If vegetables were "negative calorie" then these animals would all starve to death.
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    If a calorie = a unit of energy, then negative calories = negative energy. You find that and you've got yourself a time machine, i think.

Don't forget the flux capacitor.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options

The bold bit is the important bit
  • qwicherbytchin
    Options
    It's evident that very few people read my post in its entirety. I DID state that I record them, I record everything, it was just a question.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    It's evident that very few people read my post in its entirety. I DID state that I record them, I record everything, it was just a question.
    So it was a rhetorical question? dunno.gif
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    "I put instant coffee in a microwave and almost went back in time."
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    a pickel is supposed to have zero calories.

pushing it through your system might net out to less then zero calories.

i wouldn't expect the exercise from eating pickles to amount to much weight loss tho ;)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    They don't exist.
    See above

This.

<and the more you know>>>>>>

actually that is cool- I did learn something today!

th?id=HN.608023784213577814&pid=1.7

omgherrrrdddd

thank you.