Negative calorie foods

Options

Replies

• WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    You have obviously found out now that negative calorie foods are just a myth.

While I log everything, I'm not as careful about my accuracy on the very low calorie foods. I really like munching on raw vegetables and will usually guesstimate. One cup of raw cauliflower is only about 25 calories and a large stalk of celery is 10 calories.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    A food could be considered to have negative calorie if it is cold enough that the energy required to maintain body temperature after ingesting it is greater than the energy that it provides.

Brb, publishing book on liquid nitrogen diet. Gun be rich.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    if something is zero or near zero, like a pickel or black coffee, i don't bother logging it

only really care about tracking calories and protein.
  • SlightlyMadman
    SlightlyMadman Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    a pickel is supposed to have zero calories.

pushing it through your system might net out to less then zero calories.

i wouldn't expect the exercise from eating pickles to amount to much weight loss tho ;)

Dude, there's a food calorie database right on this website. Try looking things up before you say things. A medium dill pickle has 12 calories. That's not very many, but still a lot more than zero.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    A food could be considered to have negative calorie if it is cold enough that the energy required to maintain body temperature after ingesting it is greater than the energy that it provides.

Brb, publishing book on liquid nitrogen diet. Gun be rich.

that too. probably ice woudl be the only thing that would require more energy to heat then it provides in nutrition.

that and frozen pickels lol
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    sure
    You should always log figments of your imagination.

Just do quick add. Minus eleventy billion calories.
  • Nedra19455
    Nedra19455 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I don't log (most) raw fruits and vegetables because I need an incentive to include more of them in my diet. I know that I'd be tempted to just scan the bar code of a low cal processed food for a snack if I had to go through the trouble of weighing every strawberry or carrot stick I eat.

But that's a personal choice.

As others in these threads have said, I would never come on here after reaching a plateau and claim that I was doing everything "perfectly." If I ever stop losing weight, logging more accurately will be the first thing I do. :flowerforyou:
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative-calorie_food

There's never been any evidence to support their existence.

There's never been any evidence that Wikipedia is accurate. Just sayin'

Ok, then look at it this way: you ever seen an animal that eats only vegetables (herbivore)? If vegetables were "negative calorie" then these animals would all starve to death.

LOL YES!!! Now that's using them bananas.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options

i wouldn't expect the exercise from eating pickles to amount to much weight loss tho ;)

Dude, there's a food calorie database right on this website. Try looking things up before you say things. A medium dill pickle has 12 calories. That's not very many, but still a lot more than zero.

The labels on many jars of pickles read zero calories.. I assume it is because they are smaller, but that is probably were the poster got his/her information from..
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

thats basically zero, saw lower calorie readings on the internet. also learned how to spell pickle lol.

anyway, the ice awght to do it, not sure that counts as food
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

The labels on many jars of pickles read zero calories.. I assume it is because they are smaller, but that is probably were the poster got his/her information from..

thank you, and might i say how welcome that poster's pointless indignation was
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Even if this were true (which I doubt is true for even one item), the logic is lost on me. All activities have some caloric "cost" including sleeping but I'm sure you don't count sleeping as exercise. If you did this with food in order to be consistent you would have to deduct the thermic effect of the none "negative" items to ensure you didn't inflate their calories. Why not deduct the extra "cost" of hard to chop vegetables (I work up a pretty good sweat tackling a large turnip:laugh: ). Sounds both complicated and totally not helpful for health or weight loss.
    A negative-calorie food would be a food that required more food energy to be digested than it provided. That is, its thermic effect – the caloric "cost" of digesting the food – would be greater than its food energy content. The thermic effect is scientifically called specific dynamic action. While this concept is popular in dieting guides, there is no scientific evidence supporting the idea that any food is a negative-calorie food.

Negative calorie vegetables: Aubergine, Asparagus, Broccoli, Cabbage, Carrots, Cauliflower, Celery, Chicory, Cress, Cucumber, Fennel, Gourd, Leek, Lettuce, Marrow,Peppers, Radish, Spinach,Tomato, Turnip, etc.
    Negative calorie fruits: Apricot, Blackberry Blackcurrant, Clementines, Damsons, Grapefruit, Guava, Honeydew Melon, Lemon, Mandarin orange, Melon Cantaloupe, Peaches, Plums, Raspberry, Rhubarb, Strawberry, Tangerine, Watermelon
  • LessHeavyVeggie
    LessHeavyVeggie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    They don't exist.
    See above

This.

Sorry, OP but those are just a pipe dream.

Side note: As I wrote the above statement, I realized that while I know what constitutes a 'pipe dream' I had no idea why it meant what it did. Thanks to google: the derivation of pipe dream - from the fantasies brought about by the smoking of opium
    First Known Use: 1890

I just thought it was important to learn something in this thread.

The things you learn on mfp..! Favourite comment in a while! :flowerforyou:
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    What????? Did you watch Dr Oz ????
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

There are pickles that are said to be 0 calories per the nutritional label.

The thing to remember is that it isn't actually 0 calories. If it is less than 5 calories for the whole thing, then it can be put as zero calories on the labels.
  • firfeous
    firfeous Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Tang
    2ugjplv.jpg

I'm not a fan of Tang myself...
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    freeze that fu(king pickle and we'll see what it nets out to lol
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Somebody has been reading the internet.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Of course negative calorie foods exist. For this express situation: I made my chicken sautee dish with all the right ingredients, but beef instead of chicken. So add one portion of "chicken sautee", plus one portion of negative chicken breast and one portion of beef and I'm done for my MFP calorie tracker ;)

The food question on pickles is definitely a labeling trick: they are allowed to put zero calories because the calories in a "serving" are under 10 for the whole serving. Just like they are allowed to put zero trans fats if its .49g trans fats in a "serving". One good example here is "I can't believe its not butter", which is "zero calories/serving". But, how many calories does a bottle of 0 calorie "I can't believe it's not butter" have?....900 calories :P
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    8wsbs.jpg