My DNA says to do a low-fat diet and cardio.

Replies

• dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    DNA is for determining genetic relationship for ancestry, crime and if one is right for a procedure (transplant IE.)

It DOESN'T determine how fast you run, how high you jump, how strong you'll be, etc.

So stick to calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Not entirely true, I used the same service years ago,and they just recently sent me an update that showed I have a higher concentration of certain types of muscles than others. Agreeing exactly with my workout strengths and weaknesses. The test also identified me as sharing ancestry with some of the people on earth with greatest longevity, which agrees with my family tree.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    DNA is for determining genetic relationship for ancestry, crime and if one is right for a procedure (transplant IE.)

It DOESN'T determine how fast you run, how high you jump, how strong you'll be, etc.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Not entirely true, I used the same service years ago,and they just recently sent me an update that showed I have a higher concentration of certain types of muscles than others. Agreeing exactly with my workout strengths and weaknesses. The test also identified me as sharing ancestry with some of the people on earth with greatest longevity, which agrees with my family tree.

Science is the new magic and a skilled huckster can put on quite a show with it.
  • kmm0034
    kmm0034 Posts: 46 Member
    My DNA says I should be allowed to have german chocolates on a daily basis, in large quantity. Then again, my DNA is 50% that of a banana's and 24% that of a wine grape. I'm not sure bananas and grapes eat what I do.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    The 80s called . . .
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,903 Member

IDEA Fitness member

While it may be able to show the concentration of fast twitch vs slow twitch muscles, that still won't entirely dictate physically how one will do. How is it that some are strong in wrestling but that doesn't carry over to the weight room and vice versa even if both have the same muscular endurance?

IDEA Fitness member
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    What it gives is a list of raw data, if you are so inclined to parse through it, along with articles on research into various SNPs. What needs to be remembered is all this research is in its infancy, and it is one SNP in a SEA of DNA that we know nothing about yet. Even then, being a carrier for something does not mean it is expressed in an individual, depending on the rest of your makeup, etc. When 23andme gives you a genotype in their list of health traits, it's not saying you have whatever the thing is, it's saying you have higher odds of it (or lower, or whatever based on said genotype). If you look, typically it will say what percentage increase/decrease odds you have based on that gene alone and ignoring everything else, which may negate it entirely.

All that said, I didn't see anything for Gs281 in the database and I'm not really getting many hits anywhere else on it. It seems suspect to me. I don't know anything about Promethease. Can you copy and paste what it told you? I still wouldn't recommend any diet or exercise based off it it, but I am curious.

Lastly, FWIW, I believe 23andme got in trouble with the FDA because of their marketing. They were marketing it as a health evaluation of sorts, and the FDA said no way can you do that unless you go through trials. It's not that the info is necessarily inaccurate, but cannot be marketed as a DTC health tool, especially since the data put into the hands of someone who has no idea how to interpret it could lead to bad things. From the FDA site:
    This product is a device within the meaning of section 201(h) of the FD&C Act, 21 U.S.C. 321(h), because it is intended for use in the diagnosis of disease or other conditions or in the cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease, or is intended to affect the structure or function of the body. For example, your company’s website at www.23andme.com/health (most recently viewed on November 6, 2013) markets the PGS for providing “health reports on 254 diseases and conditions,” including categories such as “carrier status,” “health risks,” and “drug response,” and specifically as a “first step in prevention” that enables users to “take steps toward mitigating serious diseases” such as diabetes, coronary heart disease, and breast cancer. Most of the intended uses for PGS listed on your website, a list that has grown over time, are medical device uses under section 201(h) of the FD&C Act. Most of these uses have not been classified and thus require premarket approval or de novo classification, as FDA has explained to you on numerous occasions.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Eat clean… eat at a deficit…and boom! Weight loss.

Or get to lifting!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    I´m a Farmacy student and yes, I did those kind of test but in a laboratory in my university.

Pharmacy
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    Nutrigenetics is in it's infancy but there are some gene variants that can provide information that may be worthwhile, such as MTHFR 677 and others.

OP, what are the names of the genes that contain the SNPs?
  • sanfly
    sanfly Posts: 207 Member
    I just wanted to reiterate that (as yet) there is no "high intensity exercise" gene or "low-fat-diet" gene - how your body responds to different foods and exercise types is determined by groups of genes working together (ie more accurately a phenotype than a genotype). As far as diet etc goes, there is more and more research pointing to epigenetic factors - as @charlottesome brought up, this is where a lot of research in the nutrigenomics field is targeted. Also keep in mind that 23andme only looks at a relatively small subset of genes, and seems to be concentrated more on SNP's (easy to assay but not the only source of genetic mutation out there).

The drug reactivity aspect is a pretty good thing to be aware of, more and more we are seeing companion diagnostics where certain mutations can determine whether you are sensitive or resistant to certain treatments (now used commonly in certain types of cancer treatment, but also completely applicable to drugs for other diseases)

I think in relation to weight loss though, you're making it all a bit to complicated. Move more, eat less, you will see results.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    I´m a Farmacy student and yes, I did those kind of test but in a laboratory in my university.

Pharmacy

So This! I thought I was the only one that noticed!
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member

Pharmacy

Lol. My guess is that they aren't really a pharmacy student.
  • popstarwow
    popstarwow Posts: 14 Member
    Yes I am. Sorry, english is not my first language :)
  • popstarwow
    popstarwow Posts: 14 Member

Pharmacy

Lol. My guess is that they aren't really a pharmacy student.

Yes I am. Sorry, english is not my first language :)
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    My genes are predisposed to rubbing out in the thigh area... oh wait... nvm
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Let's play a little game called, "guess what's wrong."

The FDA got involved.

This is a clue.

Yup. Dat right dere
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    loled.

Thanks for the pick me up OP.
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 595 Member
    I once did a DNA test.

Results: Awesome :wink:
  • nickylee76
    nickylee76 Posts: 629 Member
    Let's play a little game called, "guess what's wrong."

The FDA got involved.

This is a clue.

Yup. Dat right dere

LOL This should be the biggest clue!!
  • redmagpie91
    redmagpie91 Posts: 77 Member
    I don't have anything to add to the topic as I am not a scientist and do not know anything about DNA, but I did want to applaud the OP. You have responded with dignity to this entire thread and kept your cool even when people openly mocked you. You are awesome.

The number one thing I hate on here, is that users are often made fun of just for asking a question. What happened to no such thing as a stupid question? It's not a question that's been asked a thousand times before and she genuinely wanted information.