My DNA says to do a low-fat diet and cardio.

1235»

Replies

• lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    I´m a Farmacy student and yes, I did those kind of test but in a laboratory in my university.

Pharmacy

Lol. My guess is that they aren't really a pharmacy student.

Yes I am. Sorry, english is not my first language :)

This is what I assumed. In Spanish, for example, pharmacy is farmacia.

I really hate how so many threads on this site devolve into mocking posters based on false assumptions.
  • MissJenniLee
    MissJenniLee Posts: 108 Member
    DNA isn't that simple, which is one of the reason these tests are so problematic. If what you're doing is working, why change?

Because it is working slowly! Like a pound a month/2 weeks sometimes.

I would assume it's because you are already small. The smaller you get, the less calories your body will need. That means your daily deficit gets smaller (if you stay within healthy range). If you have a smaller calorie loss, then of course your weight loss will be slower.

How much muscle tone do you have? Have you tried building some? Building more muscle will bring your calorie needs back up creating a bigger deficit and more fat loss. I don't know if you will see it on the scale as much as you will see it with a measuring tape.

This is all assuming that you are already small--as you appear in your profile pic.
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Weight loss science is still evolving. I find it very hard to believe that somebody has nailed it down at the DNA level.

If you're looking for ways to improve your progress, I second these suggestions others have already posted:
    - You might be very close to a healthy weight already.
    - You might try building some muscle.

The problem with low-fat diets is that they usually require you to eat more carbs. Carbs cause an insulin reaction that can slow down your weight loss more. This might not be a problem for you, it definitely varies by person.

Another idea, if you're eating more than 100-150 carbs/day, than reduce that number. When you eat carbs they become glucose. Then your body burns as much as it can, and stores the rest as fat. If you're building new fat cells at the same time you're trying to burn the old fat cells, the results are going to be slower.
    (Note: that 100-150 carb/day range is based on average activity. If you're very active, you can eat more carbs than that.)