What YOU should know about GLUTEN SENSITIVITY

Options

Replies

• SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I think the reason I chuckle at this article is because people who are gluten intolerant or sensitive seem to love to talk about it over and over and over. I have been stopped in the grocery store by a mom who was staring going gluten free, she went on for twenty minutes about her appointments and symptoms and how great it is, then six months later she just eats normally. I have been to social gatherings with women where the conversation for the night revolves around someone's gluten sensitivity. I can't tell you how many people I know have had the tests and been told they have this then a year later they just go back to thier normal diet and act like it never existed. I guess that is why I get skeptical when I hear people talk about their food sensitivities.

People also go back to smoking and drinking excessively, your point being??? lol

Gluten is now addictive?

There have been some very credible scientific studies that suggest it is. Wheat gluten is unique in its ability to stimulate opiate-receptor sites in the brain. Interestingly, when an opiate-blocking drug (naloxone) is administered, study participants ate significantly fewer wheat-based foods. Combining gluten's direct effects on the brain with the Amylopectin-A (the majority of starch found in wheat) blood glucose high may make it highly addictive to some people. A word of explanation about Amylopectin. Amylopectin-B (the starch found in bananas and potatoes) is more resistant to digestion and Amylopectin-C (found in beans) is not very digestible at all. Amylopectin-A raises blood sugar VERY efficiently and from there, it can create a host of problems for those who must battle high blood sugar (and that includes a LOT of people, those who are forced to be inactive because of injury or joint disease, the obese, those who are aging and Type II diabetics).

1- Amylopectin-A is not found in gluten, and this thread is about gluten sensitivity.
    2- The foods you mentioned such as bananas and spinach also contain tryptophan which is an amino acid that is converted into serotonin, a feel- good neurotransmitter. Does this mean that spinach and bananas are also addictive?
    3- are you saying that we all could be addicted to wheat? Is this why I eat toast and peanut butter every day? If I don't have any stomach issues from eating seitan, should I still eliminate gluten from my diet because it inhibits my dopamine receptors which will lead to an addiction similar to that of someone on opiates? I Took a mild opiate last year for seven days and two days after I stopped I felt edgy and depressed. Will I feel the same way if I cut out gluten?

Eating does affect our brains. (Did you know that we even have neurotransmitters in our gut?). I really don't understand your "evidence" that gluten is chemically addictive.

1) I did not say that Amylopectin-A is in gluten. Amylopectin is a starch. Gluten is a protein. There is evidence that gluten is addictive. And there is evidence that some people get blood sugar "highs" from Amylopectin-A. I was addressing the broader question of "wheat addiction". Sorry, I should have restricted my remarks to gluten alone. Happy now? 2) I think that, unlike bananas and spinach, wheat flour, and gluten in particular, is uniquely addictive because of the prominence of wheat-based foods and the fact that it is used as a cheap filler in SO MANY processed foods. Just as alcohol grows in its addictive qualities through exposure, wheat is likely to grow in addiction for some people. I am acquainted with some morbidly obese individuals whose diets are composed mainly of wheat and sugar. They are addicted. 3) Many people report just that. When they stopped the wheat, they became edgy and depressed for a few days to weeks.

Yes, I knew that we have neurotransmitters in our gut. Gastroenterologists sometimes speak of the gut as being the "second brain". Some people find that they are simply unable to eliminate wheat and sugar from their diets without suffering mild to severe mood problems. Whether or not gluten is "chemically addictive" the great difficulty that these people have in eliminating food substances that are literally killing them (as in the case of the morbidly obese) tells me that we are dealing with addiction.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Can anyone that is anti gluten free please explain the rash on my arms that would not heal, leaving a couple dozen scars that still remain ? Doctor thinking it was skin cancer. Not even. Gluten. Anyone else out there with the same experience ?

I don't have that problem but my four-year-old granddaughter does. She had a stubborn rash around her mouth and nose that would not heal. Once she was taken off of wheat, it healed right up. She might have celiac but her doctor doesn't want to test her till she's older. She had many gastric issues (throwing up, pain, etc) and once she was taken off of wheat, her problems went away, only to return if anyone slipped up and gave her something containing wheat/gluten. A few weeks ago, her substitute pre-school teacher wasn't aware of her problem and let her have a cupcake. That afternoon, she was violently ill and broke out in a rash all over her upper torso. Upon questioning, my granddaughter admitted that she had had a cupcake. :ohwell:
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Can anyone that is anti gluten free please explain the rash on my arms that would not heal, leaving a couple dozen scars that still remain ? Doctor thinking it was skin cancer. Not even. Gluten. Anyone else out there with the same experience ?

either you are lying or exaggerating, then again there could be something wrong with you but human nature tells me otherwise, its time like this that make me which House M.D was a real person to either diagnose your ailments and help you through them and hopefully heal you, or to tell you how full of it you really are

How very unkind of you. :huh:
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    There's a scientist from MIT who believes that the large numbers of people who find that they cannot eat wheat is a reflection of "cross-reactivity." First thing that must be understood is that the wheat we eat today is VERY different from the wheat our ancestors ate. From the wild Einkorn wheat grabbed and soaked and long-cooked by our hunter-gatherer ancestors, to the Emmer wheat of Biblical times to the Triticale of modern times, the genetic base of wheat has been tampered with over and over. In the 1950s, they went to producing wheat with a VERY high gluten content. That is problematic because large amounts of gluten are not particularly digestible in the human gut. The "cross-reactivity" issue comes from the glyphosate (Roundup) residue that a lot of wheat contains. Wheat is not yet "roundup ready" but it seems that the "geniuses" at Monsanto have come up with a new way of poisoning us with glyphosate. Wheat is now sprayed with glyphosate just before harvest (in order to kill the wheat plants in preparation for the "no-till" planting method that uses seed-drills). The MIT scientist believes that it is the combination of gluten with the glyposate residue that produces a lot of gastric consequences. When pigs are fed Roundup-Ready Soy, they experience a lot of gastric distress and some even die. When they are autopsied, they are found to have bright red, highly inflamed, gut-linings. The digestive systems of humans are somewhat similar to those of pigs. A growing chorus of medical professionals are becoming quite concerned about genetically modified and chemically tainted food.

This is very much a hypothesis, but an interesting one nonetheless. The paper I read reports a lot of correlation data with no consideration for confounders, which makes it seem a bit dodgy, but still, it was an interesting read.

I was able to access it from this article. http://www.examiner.com/article/is-it-the-gluten-or-is-it-the-glyphosate

Here's the abstract if anyone's interested. :smile:

Glyphosate, pathways to modern diseases II: Celiac sprue and gluten intolerance

Anthony SAMSEL 1 and Stephanie SENEFF 2
    1 Independent Scientist and Consultant, Deerfield, NH 03037, USA
    2 Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory, MIT, Cambridge, MA, USA

Celiac disease, and, more generally, gluten intolerance, is a growing problem worldwide, but especially in North America and Europe, where an estimated 5% of the population now suffers from it. Symptoms include nausea, diarrhea, skin rashes, macrocytic anemia and depression. It is a multifactorial disease associated with numerous nutritional deficiencies as well as reproductive issues and increased risk to thyroid disease, kidney failure and cancer. Here, we propose that glyphosate, the active ingredient in the herbicide, Roundup®, is the most important causal factor in this epidemic. Fish exposed to glyphosate develop digestive problems that are reminiscent of celiac disease. Celiac disease is associated with imbalances in gut bacteria that can be fully explained by the known effects of glypho- sate on gut bacteria. Characteristics of celiac disease point to impairment in many cytochrome P450 enzymes, which are involved with detoxifying environmental toxins, activating vitamin D3, catabolizing vitamin A, and maintaining bile acid production and sulfate supplies to the gut. Glyphosate is known to inhibit cytochrome P450 enzymes. Deficiencies in iron, cobalt, molybdenum, copper and other rare metals associated with celiac disease can be attributed to glyphosate’s strong ability to chelate these elements. Deficiencies in tryptophan, tyrosine, methionine and selenomethionine associated with celiac disease match glyphosate’s known depletion of these amino acids. Celiac disease patients have an increased risk to non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, which has also been implicated in glyphosate exposure. Reproductive issues associated with celiac disease, such as infertility, miscarriages, and birth defects, can also be explained by glyphosate. Glyphosate residues in wheat and other crops are likely increasing recently due to the growing practice of crop desiccation just prior to the harvest. We argue that the practice of “ripening” sugar cane with glyphosate may explain the recent surge in kidney failure among agricultural workers in Central America. We conclude with a plea to governments to reconsider policies regarding the safety of glyphosate residues in foods.

That's actually super interesting, thanks! I suggested earlier that those who were experiencing symptoms from gluten might have issues with their intestinal flora. I had no idea that studies were being done in that direction. It makes me wonder if a really good probiotic might have some helpful effect.

Also, for the poster who suggested that those who didn't believe in gluten sensitivity were closed-minded, I rather think that those who refuse to entertain the thought that their symptoms might be caused by some other factor are just as closed-minded, if not more so.

Cheers!

With my four-year-old granddaughter, avoiding wheat seems to help her a great deal, but my daughter, at the same time, gives her a very good pro-biotic (the kind sold only through naturopaths) and it has apparently helped her a lot as she is now much more adventuresome in the foods she will try and accept. She certainly seems much healthier. In the past, she seemed to always be sick and now I can't think of the last time she had a fever or cold or anything. :smile:
  • santiagojorgem
    Options

either you are lying or exaggerating, then again there could be something wrong with you but human nature tells me otherwise, its time like this that make me which House M.D was a real person to either diagnose your ailments and help you through them and hopefully heal you, or to tell you how full of it you really are

not unkind, honest, is it so hard to believe someone would lie about this or is it so hard to believe that something else could be wrong with this person that has yet to be diagnosed?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

not unkind, honest, is it so hard to believe someone would lie about this or is it so hard to believe that something else could be wrong with this person that has yet to be diagnosed?

Dude. There's honest and then there's whatever you're doing. I think the study is valid but I'm considering switching sides because of your comments.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    The most interesting part of this study to me is that it was done by a researcher who originally found NCGS was a "thing" but decided to go back and see if he could make a better study. He definitely controlled for more things than a lot of nutrition studies seem to control for and while the small sample size is a legitimate critique, I think that a lot of people are missing the point in that now, hopefully, this will spur more studies into NCGS with similar levels of control and more people. Who knows? Maybe they'll find in larger studies that NCGS is actually a thing, and maybe they won't. I think it's good to keep the conversation going.

For me, even the small study confirmed what I had long suspected about many people and their gluten sensitivities. The attitudes concerning gluten coming from the Celiacs I know and the elective gluten-avoiders is pretty pronounced; the Celiacs often wish they could be eating Dunkin Donuts and and elective gluten-avoiders label it "toxic" and "poison," and I find this distinction rather interesting.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    The most interesting part of this study to me is that it was done by a researcher who originally found NCGS was a "thing" but decided to go back and see if he could make a better study. He definitely controlled for more things than a lot of nutrition studies seem to control for and while the small sample size is a legitimate critique, I think that a lot of people are missing the point in that now, hopefully, this will spur more studies into NCGS with similar levels of control and more people. Who knows? Maybe they'll find in larger studies that NCGS is actually a thing, and maybe they won't. I think it's good to keep the conversation going.

For me, even the small study confirmed what I had long suspected about many people and their gluten sensitivities. The attitudes concerning gluten coming from the Celiacs I know and the elective gluten-avoiders is pretty pronounced; the Celiacs often wish they could be eating Dunkin Donuts and and elective gluten-avoiders label it "toxic" and "poison," and I find this distinction rather interesting.

I can only speak for myself, but I don't call it anything but gluten. I would never label peanuts, strawberries, tomatoes or any of the other foods people are allergic to/or their systems are sensitive to, poison

I don't miss white bread or a doughnut nearly as much as I used to, but last night at dinner that ciabatta bread almost got to me :laugh:
  • arewethereyet
    Options

Dude. There's honest and then there's whatever you're doing. I think the study is valid but I'm considering switching sides because of your comments.

Stick to your beliefs, people like him are everywhere!

As I like to say "You do you, and I'll do me!"
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

I wasn't serious about that part. My point was just that I don't want to be associated with that kind of mindset.
  • santiagojorgem
    Options

then you don't see things from my point of view let me sum up pretty quick

i'm a chef of 10 years experience and i see these alleged "gluten free" people behave like *kitten* because they feel special all while they consume gluten

you get people that will self diagnose themselves with all kind of crazy stuff to make themselves feel special and gluten free is one of them

are all of them *kitten*, no but most of them tend to be when they eat out and they tend to treat servers like crap when doing so

i've had many people tell me they are allergic to the following

garlic, onions, salt, gluten and dairy and they do this while consuming those very same foods, yes the study is important and it helps to prove a point but there is something the study doesn't mention, human behavior

i'd welcome some of you on the gluten free bandwagon to go cook professionally for a little bit or have to work as a server and deal with these people and i don't have to serve these people, i just hear the servers and bartenders complain about it not because of their alleged ailment, but because of how the act because of it, some of them may have serious issues but by and large most of them do it to feel special and gives them an excuse to be *kitten* to people

and you are surprised that people will go to great lengths to feel special?

then i must say you really don't understand people well at all, that or you have never worked in the service industry or at least not long enough to see it, i'm not the only who has provided examples of this, others have as well, i choose to be more blunt about it and get to the point of the matter instead of dilly dallying around the bush for the sake of political correctness when all it does is cloud the truth and leaves misunderstandings and misinterpretations to flourish like a bad rash of misunderstanding
  • santiagojorgem
    Options

people do like me by the way precisely because i am blunt and to the point :) seems to be working out fine for me we just have a very big difference of opinion
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

i'm a chef of 10 years experience and i see these alleged "gluten free" people behave like *kitten* because they feel special all while they consume gluten

you get people that will self diagnose themselves with all kind of crazy stuff to make themselves feel special and gluten free is one of them

are all of them *kitten*, no but most of them tend to be when they eat out and they tend to treat servers like crap when doing so

garlic, onions, salt, gluten and dairy and they do this while consuming those very same foods, yes the study is important and it helps to prove a point but there is something the study doesn't mention, human behavior

i'd welcome some of you on the gluten free bandwagon to go cook professionally for a little bit or have to work as a server and deal with these people and i don't have to serve these people, i just hear the servers and bartenders complain about it not because of their alleged ailment, but because of how the act because of it, some of them may have serious issues but by and large most of them do it to feel special and gives them an excuse to be *kitten* to people

then i must say you really don't understand people well at all, that or you have never worked in the service industry or at least not long enough to see it, i'm not the only who has provided examples of this, others have as well, i choose to be more blunt about it and get to the point of the matter instead of dilly dallying around the bush for the sake of political correctness when all it does is cloud the truth and leaves misunderstandings and misinterpretations to flourish like a bad rash of misunderstanding

I get it, people are jerks. I've been a carhop, a nanny (that was a bad one) and I worked in customer service for quite some time. I've also been a high school teacher. So I've seen my share of bad behavior.

But don't you get that you're being just as big of a jerk if not more so? And that your attitude is going to turn people off of your argument?

Perhaps you don't care, I don't know. I just think you're taking the behavior of other people WAY too personally.
  • santiagojorgem
    Options

I get it, people are jerks. I've been a carhop, a nanny (that was a bad one) and I worked in customer service for quite some time. I've also been a high school teacher. So I've seen my share of bad behavior.

But don't you get that you're being just as big of a jerk if not more so? And that your attitude is going to turn people off of your argument?

Perhaps you don't care, I don't know. I just think you're taking the behavior of other people WAY too personally.

in my line of work that tends to be very important, its clear very few of you or any of you cook professionally so its not surprising that none of you understand where i'm coming from, well maybe one of you but even then not all the way

i'd invite you to cook for these people or deal with them see if you don't start seeing things my way, beining a nanny or a high school teacher is nothing compared to having to deal with pompous vegan, vegetarian and self diagnosed gluten free people who have a chip on their shoulder, you see it enough it'll change your view on things very very quickly

personally i don't care about convincing people thats your thing but being naive to the fact that people will do certain things to feel special is just plain dumb, at least in my book it is

remember the world and especially people aren't as rosy as one wants to think
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

in my line of work that tends to be very important, its clear very few of you or any of you cook professionally so its not surprising that none of you understand where i'm coming from, well maybe one of you but even then not all the way

i'd invite you to cook for these people or deal with them see if you don't start seeing things my way, beining a nanny or a high school teacher is nothing compared to having to deal with pompous vegan, vegetarian and self diagnosed gluten free people who have a chip on their shoulder, you see it enough it'll change your view on things very very quickly

personally i don't care about convincing people thats your thing but being naive to the fact that people will do certain things to feel special is just plain dumb, at least in my book it is

I'm not here to get into a pissing match with you about whose line of work has been worse. But can you honestly say that you don't think your comments in this thread have been unkind, only honest? Really?

If you can, then maybe it's not just the GF

eta: your argument isn't even science-based. It's just "these people inconvenience me, therefore they're lying."
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

I can only speak for myself, but I don't call it anything but gluten. I would never label peanuts, strawberries, tomatoes or any of the other foods people are allergic to/or their systems are sensitive to, poison

I don't miss white bread or a doughnut nearly as much as I used to, but last night at dinner that ciabatta bread almost got to me :laugh:

Cheers! :drinker:

I think it's hard for a lot of people, myself included, to get wrapped in the mindset that everyone is insane with some of their [maybe or maybe not] elective food choices when they're surrounded by people who are telling you that gluten will kill you day in, day out. It's always a nice reminder that not everyone is crazy (not implying you are... but you know. :wink:)
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    beining a nanny or a high school teacher is nothing
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

ILHA, ya lazy whiner.

Kids and teens are nothing compared to hungry people.

Hey, do nannies have to cook while they watch the kiddos? What about high school teachers? Do they have to deal with allergies or value clashes?

To the professional cook, make it easy on yourself. Explain to vegans and gluten free people that you can't guarantee that anything can be made vegan or gluten free in your kitchen due to cross contamination. (The big "gluten free" dining thing is often pretty sketchy because of that. It's why places like Starbucks won't label any of their products as gluten free. It's a big deal to people who have Celiac.) The people who care will leave, those who don't you can cook for more easily.
  • arewethereyet
    Options

I wasn't serious about that part. My point was just that I don't want to be associated with that kind of mindset.

:flowerforyou: I know! That was my internet hug to you! Kinda saying, his/her attitude doesn't hurt me-in the least.

I have learned a lot about my issues from this thread. SOB and others have posted in depth intelligent thought processes that have me looking further into my diagnosis, medical issues and help.

I love that drop down arrow 'ignore' :drinker:

You my dear, are a darling that I adore :love:
  • arewethereyet
    Options

Cheers! :drinker:

I think it's hard for a lot of people, myself included, to get wrapped in the mindset that everyone is insane with some of their [maybe or maybe not] elective food choices when they're surrounded by people who are telling you that gluten will kill you day in, day out. It's always a nice reminder that not everyone is crazy (not implying you are... but you know. :wink:)

Well I am kind of crazy, and also a lot of fun. I promise spend the day with me and you will never know anything about my health issues!

I am not one of the people who tell YOU not to eat gluten, and earlier in this thread I even said I told people NOT to go gluten free but to speak with their doctors.

It matters not to me what label is put on what makes me fell like shiz, so let's just say I LOVE salad, chicken, fruits and other veggies and call it a day!