What YOU should know about GLUTEN SENSITIVITY

Options
1222324252628»

Replies

• FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    the size of the market has everything to do with it, you can't look at the size of the GF market and believe that many people are gluten intolerant or are celiacs

So your evidence for the size of the gluten intolerant population is "you don't believe it". Got it. Great logic there.
    there is a social component to it as well not only argued by me but by others including michael pollan,

You realize that Pollan is a journalist, not a scientist, right?
    as far as lack of punctuation thats a bunch of b/s, you just think you are better than everybody else, just because you have dr manhattan on your avatar doesn't make you dr manhattan

Scathing criticism right there (if you happen to be 4 years old)
    not everything fits in a vile in some lab as well,

Literacy FTL.

how can you possible ignore that, i think you're the only one that ignores that fact yet news articles and columns have been written about this

and what difference does it make if he's a journalist? does that make some newscasts less credible because the journalist reporting on climate change isn't a scientist? or is it less credible for the journalist to report on the world cup because they never played soccer, now you're just fishing you don't like what michael pollan said, you don't agree with the article on the telegraph so you're only solace is to sling mud at anyone that dares agree with any of that or begin to look at those facts as a substantial part of this argument

http://www.skepdic.com/authorty.html
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

how can you possible ignore that, i think you're the only one that ignores that fact yet news articles and columns have been written about this

and what difference does it make if he's a journalist? does that make some newscasts less credible because the journalist reporting on climate change isn't a scientist? or is it less credible for the journalist to report on the world cup because they never played soccer, now you're just fishing you don't like what michael pollan said, you don't agree with the article on the telegraph so you're only solace is to sling mud at anyone that dares agree with any of that or begin to look at those facts as a substantial part of this argument

(i know the lack of punctuation has got to be giving you heartburn..823480u203409834)

MFP requires users to be at least 18 years of age.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I hve not encountered a more contentious group of people than the pro-gluten coalition. You people are confrontational and hostile about something that DOES NOT AFFECT YOU.

Why the hell would you care if someone doesn't eat gluten? Seriously, how does that have any affect on your life? It's no different than someone not eating sugar (which is not just for diabetics), or having a reduced sodium diet.. Yet you feel the need to sit there and mock people with such a study that came back as INCONCLUSIVE and the editor decided that meant it didnt exist.

It does exist, and I know it does because as someone with multiple AUTOIMMUNE diseases I can not have gluten. My body sees gluten as a threat and creates more antibodies to fight it off. Also while I do not have celiac disease, once you have one autoimmune disease you have a 25% chance of getting others. So why would I bother to consume gluten when I already have an increased risk of gettig celiac disease? My doctor gave me a gluten allergy test in february and the result was positive that I was allergic to it. So think whatever you want, but I choose to LIVE and for me living means avodiing gluten. I'm not about to DIE just because you all want us all to stop abstaining for gluten consumption. Sorry but my life is more important than your desire to want us all to suffer.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I hve not encountered a more contentious group of people than the pro-gluten coalition. You people are confrontational and hostile about something that DOES NOT AFFECT YOU.

Why the hell would you care if someone doesn't eat gluten? Seriously, how does that have any affect on your life? It's no different than someone not eating sugar (which is not just for diabetics), or having a reduced sodium diet.. Yet you feel the need to sit there and mock people with such a study that came back as INCONCLUSIVE and the editor decided that meant it didnt exist.

It does exist, and I know it does because as someone with multiple AUTOIMMUNE diseases I can not have gluten. My body sees gluten as a threat and creates more antibodies to fight it off. Also while I do not have celiac disease, once you have one autoimmune disease you have a 25% chance of getting others. So why would I bother to consume gluten when I already have an increased risk of gettig celiac disease? My doctor gave me a gluten allergy test in february and the result was positive that I was allergic to it. So think whatever you want, but I choose to LIVE and for me living means avodiing gluten. I'm not about to DIE just because you all want us all to stop abstaining for gluten consumption. Sorry but my life is more important than your desire to want us all to suffer.

Please remain calm. No one who has Celiacs or a true gluten allergy should eat gluten. No one has stated otherwise.

As for the bolded statement? Drama much?
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options

Please remain calm. No one who has Celiacs or a true gluten allergy should eat gluten. No one has stated otherwise.

As for the bolded statement? Drama much?

Did you not read the original post in the first thread, where the lovely author of the aformentioned post decided to mock everyone by telling us it doesn't exist?

It's nice to know it's all in our heads. What would any of us do without you all telling us information about our bodies?
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Butthurt much?

The article did not deal with celiac or wheat allergies, both of which have clear biomarkers and diagnoses. The topic was "non-celiac gluten sensitivity" which has neither, and no clear evidence of its existence.

And to everyone who feels the need to contradict the study using your own personal experience, remember that the plural of anecdote is "anecdotes" not "data".
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/bodywork/performance-plate/The-Fraud-that-Works-Gluten-Free-Diets.html?260806431

I found this article, and found it explained everything to me. Without calling me a fake, or liar, or PITA.

It confirms what a few of you all have said.

Looking into finding more about FODMAPs and still avoiding gluten, as it is the biggest issue (plus I feel better :wink: )