What YOU should know about GLUTEN SENSITIVITY

Options

Replies

• SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    What happens at 500 posts? Is the thread locked or something?

I have enjoyed reading through all the comments, watching everyone call everyone else stupid per usual.

I have three friends/family members who eat GF, and so far I haven't seen any of them cause problems at restaurants. They tend to stick to what I'm going to call "safe foods", and order the same stuff when we go out. No hassling waiters or asking what the pastas are made with, etc.

I still don't understand why so many people have a problem with someone else choosing to eliminate something from his/her diet.

24 . . .

• santiagojorgem
    Options

as for vegetarians and vegans i'll refer you to anthony bourdain's kitchen confidential, its a great book (i think its on amazon's list of "must read" books) and something that is quite common in my line of work

The fact you look down on people for their own ethical choices guarantees I won't be reading anything you recommend, in fear of catching something.

thats fine but i think the topic was gluten sensitivity and whether it exists or whether its a bunch of b/s, i'm afraid i went off topic for a bit but i don't expect you to understand, and if reading anthony bourdain's work means you'll catch something that by all means read as much of his stuff as you can

its clear you don't know who he is but i assure you he's quite famous and for a good reason

As someone with celiacs who has worked for years as both a chef and baker, I fully understand the frustrations of both dietary restrictions AND catering for them. However, if someone is willing to pay, I am willing to accommodate. I particularly enjoy having a job, which I can only have if customers return because they're treated well. And yes, I know Anthony Bourdain is. I recommend not making assumptions around here, it only makes you look foolish.

then i'm surprised you feel that way and you working the pastry side should understand how much b/s this gluten sensitivity is (you're a celiac so your medical needs are legitimate)

one more thing to add about this GF trend, when is more research going to be done as to the health effects of GF alternatives and whether they are good for you or not, if you can point me to that direction i'd love to read it, just because i feel and think this way now doesn't mean i can't change my view point of there is scientific proof to show otherwise

my viewpoint isn't set in stone, but as the science is showing now the vast majority of this GF stuff is bologna to begin with, i'm sure research in the future may make a believer out of me but based on what science tells me now its kind of hard to play ball with this GF trend

and as far as accomodating their requests i've worked in places where policy is to accomodate every request and also in places where no special requests are to be\considered unless its a health concern (i.e allergy) or if its a religious dietary rule (i.e halal or kosher), its all relative to where you work/dine

2d134tt.jpg

cute, use of memes shows lack of brain cells at work, where did you learn that by the way, but please keep it up, i'm not the one who all of a sudden grew stupider and people agree with me, if you don't like that, have a coke, a smile and just shut up

I've had that meme saved for the perfect occasion. This was it.

well aren't you special then, if you're going to insult me at least make a worthy effort to offend me, thats the insulting equivalent of a sand flavored lollipop, both being quite useless, much like your thoughts on the matter so lets speed this up

• santiagojorgem
    Options
    What happens at 500 posts? Is the thread locked or something?

I have enjoyed reading through all the comments, watching everyone call everyone else stupid per usual.

I have three friends/family members who eat GF, and so far I haven't seen any of them cause problems at restaurants. They tend to stick to what I'm going to call "safe foods", and order the same stuff when we go out. No hassling waiters or asking what the pastas are made with, etc.

I still don't understand why so many people have a problem with someone else choosing to eliminate something from his/her diet.

24 . . .

18 dude you took my number
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    The scientific illiteracy I am seeing here shocks and disgusts me.
  • santiagojorgem
    Options

this got way out of hand about 10 pages ago

i admit i'm partly to blame for this (actually very large part) but its what happens when an unstoppable force meets an unmoveable object

• devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    In for the roll.

A gluten free roll, of course.
  • delicious_cocktail
    Options

this got way out of hand about 10 pages ago

i admit i'm partly to blame for this (actually very large part) but its what happens when an unstoppable force meets an unmoveable object

I wasn't talking about you. Arguing on the Internet is not shocking or disgusting . . . it just "is". John Gabriel's greater internet f-was theorem.
  • amywise10
    amywise10 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    But why do you care? Really, why does it bother you so much that some people chose to not eat breads, pastas, etc.? It's not as if those items are really all that necessary. And if they chose to buy, say, a GL loaf of bread, it's not really all that different than another person choosing Ms. Baird's over Hill County Fair (or whatever they're called) for one reason or another.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
    But why do you care? Really, why does it bother you so much that some people chose to not eat breads, pastas, etc.? It's not as if those items are really all that necessary. And if they chose to buy, say, a GL loaf of bread, it's not really all that different than another person choosing Ms. Baird's over Hill County Fair (or whatever they're called) for one reason or another.

I can't think of a single reason to care other than a general interest in the subject matter and for the sake of discussion.
  • santiagojorgem
    Options

i have dealt with these people (sometimes often) and i can tell you (and i speak only for myself with some articles that i have posted to support my claims) is that its all a fad, a trend and a lie, and it makes for some very unbearable people (even more unbearable than me) the way they act in restaurants and having to deal with them and how they interact with service workers and how they react when they don't get their way (yes they will *kitten* a brick if they don't get their way) it makes me have a very low opinion of them

there are some people who must avoid gluten and thats fine, on the other hands its becoming a hipsterish trend with many of them not even knowing what gluten is in the first place and in the end you have an entire subculture of *kitten* who feel special over something that isn't real

its just annoying to watch, to me this is the culinary equivalent of justin bieber and the kardashians all rolled into one, just a cultural phenomenon that gives people reason to feel special and at many times at the expense of others
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
  • santiagojorgem
    Options

if you hate this thread so much why don't you just not participate?

• amywise10
    amywise10 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    The people you are describing are probably the same people who would go out and hassle wait staff no matter what diet/trend/lifestyle they're following.
  • delicious_cocktail
    Options

The scientist cared because he wanted further support for his initial conclusions. His follow up study had surprising and scientifically interesting results, and science was served because he happily published a paper that undermined his initial hypothesis. How freaking amazing is that?? That is awesome.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

Just peachy . . .5
  • delicious_cocktail
    Options

Stay terrific, favorite uncle?
  • santiagojorgem
    Options

Just peachy . . .5

and i thought i was an *kitten*
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

Salty Taffy For Us?
  • santiagojorgem
    Options

absolutely, he has shown to be a fine human being :)