Mothers raising the next generation of fat kids

Options
Jesslane93
Jesslane93 Posts: 190 Member
Having a rant...

I have a 14 month old son, and have so many friends around me with babies similar age. Everyday I see them posting pics on face book of there babies face covered in chocolate and cake. I am ok with 'kids' having a treat every now and than. But a 'baby' does not need that sort of food in there tiny bodies, and I feel like yelling at these stupid mothers and telling them to stop feeding there kids diabetes. Babies need real foods to help with there growth and development, not junk food. It is just as easy to chop up some banana for a baby for a snack than to just whip out the chocolate bar!
At this young age it is crucial to start the our children on healthy eating habits.

This only directed at the mums who don't care for there children's health (Which seems to be a lot of them these days). I know there is still so many mum's out there who feed there babies the proper healthy foods.

Replies

• ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I agree with you, and 99% of the time, my toddler eats healthy. But I won't deny him goodies on occasion, so i am also that mom that will post a pic of it on Facebook, because of the fact that it happens so rarely.
  • DucklingtoSwan
    DucklingtoSwan Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    This just made me think of a time when I was in a restaurant, and there was a large family group of people, looked like they'd perhaps all just come from church or something, and there was a baby, perhaps not even a month old at best, and I looked over and one of them, I presume the baby's father, was DIPPING HIS STRAW INTO HIS SODA AND FEEDING IT TO THE BABY. Did anyone say anything to him? Nope. All the adults just sat around talking with each other and cooing at how cute the baby was. it was not just a 'taste', either, he was giving that poor baby sip after sip of soda. I wanted to run over there and smack it out of his hand. :explode:
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Meanwhile, someone, somewhere is having an actual problem.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Your peek at people is only a peek. You can't assume the entire diet of a child based on goofy Facebook updates or a family dining out. Focus on your kid/kids and stop expending so much emotional energy on something that isn't within your control and, frankly, not your business.
  • Carley
    Carley Posts: 88
    Options
    I complete agree, it makes me want to scream. Hubby's families thought I was crazy when

I wouldn't put cordial/soda/rice cereal in my daughters bottles
    Delayed solids until 7-8months
    Wouldn't give them Mcdoanlds before 5
    They only snacks they can have is fruit/veggie sticks/nuts

My 2 girls are the only kids without weight problems in his whole family!!
  • Jesslane93
    Options
    This just made me think of a time when I was in a restaurant, and there was a large family group of people, looked like they'd perhaps all just come from church or something, and there was a baby, perhaps not even a month old at best, and I looked over and one of them, I presume the baby's father, was DIPPING HIS STRAW INTO HIS SODA AND FEEDING IT TO THE BABY. Did anyone say anything to him? Nope. All the adults just sat around talking with each other and cooing at how cute the baby was. it was not just a 'taste', either, he was giving that poor baby sip after sip of soda. I wanted to run over there and smack it out of his hand. :explode:

My own mother went to dip my sons dummy in her chocolate milkshake when my son was just 6 months old to try and stop him from crying! I snatched the dummy off her before she could put it in his mouth. I said to her, 'No wonder all I wanted to eat was sugary food when I was a kid if you were giving stuff like that to me as a baby'
    Not only is this stuff not good for the health, and it will also have an impact on the teeth! I want my baby to grow up healthy and strong with good teeth.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    FACT - There will always be parents out there that should not be parents...for many reasons other than what they feed their kids (though, without a doubt, this can be concerning in some circumstances.) Unfortunately, these parents will never know who they are.
  • crystalnichle
    crystalnichle Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I agree with you 100%. my son is 18months and has never had chocolate or anything like that. he eats healthier then I do! Its always those mothers that try and justify it by saying oh my kid doesnt like veggies... that sounds more like a parenting problem to me!
  • walkingmommy2014
    walkingmommy2014 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I grew up with a mom like this and that is why I am now on mfp and my son loves all fruits and veggies (even broccoli).
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Wow, seriously. It's not literally poisoning their kids. At that age, their bodies are more resilient and honestly, kids on restrictive diets are more likely to have long-term problems or even psychological damage and control isses. A lot of kids whose parents go overboard with the health/weight thing end up accidentally malnourishing kids. Also, as far as health goes, I'd rather have a fat kid who is active than a thin one who is lazy. Toddlers have a lot of energy. They probably eat and play and are normal, healthy babies. Shame on you for judging other people parenting habits at only glimpses of their lives. Unless you're that kid's doctor, mind your own.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    How's the view from atop that high horse?
  • Carley
    Carley Posts: 88
    Options
    I grew up with a mom like this and that is why I am now on mfp and my son loves all fruits and veggies (even broccoli).

Same as my kids! The love lentils, chickpeas, baby spinach, mushrooms etc

And they still get treats all about teaching balace.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Having a rant...

I have a 14 month old son, and have so many friends around me with babies similar age. Everyday I see them posting pics on face book of there babies face covered in chocolate and cake. I am ok with 'kids' having a treat every now and than. But a 'baby' does not need that sort of food in there tiny bodies, and I feel like yelling at these stupid mothers and telling them to stop feeding there kids diabetes. Babies need real foods to help with there growth and development, not junk food. It is just as easy to chop up some banana for a baby for a snack than to just whip out the chocolate bar!
    At this young age it is crucial to start the our children on healthy eating habits.

This only directed at the mums who don't care for there children's health (Which seems to be a lot of them these days). I know there is still so many mum's out there who feed there babies the proper healthy foods.

You assume an awful lot.. Guess I'll just put myself into you "terrible parent" category, (picks up chair and moves) since my facebook is full of my son stuffing his face with all things unhealthy. never mind he's 6ft2 and 190lbs. Even when he was a baby, he ate. A lot. when he was 2 weeks old I had to put cereal in his bottle so he'd be able to eat enough. I haven't been able to buy him a kids meals since he was 6. They weren't enough food. I wonder how my son is perfectly healthy and not fat?

Unless yo know the kids overall diet you really shouldn't judge. I mean really a picture of them eating a carrot is so not cute, but chocolate on the face?? Now that is cute. :heart:
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Yep. People look at me like I'm committing child abuse when I tell my son he can't have something because it isn't healthy. It's pathetic that the worst foods are traditionally considered kids foods. Just look at a restaurant's Kid's Mens: Grilled Cheese, Hamburger, chicken tenders, all with fries. My son has friends who are getting fat and they are just kids. Instead of people seeing it as a problem, people just figure that they are kids and will grow, but they won't grow out of it when they are adults and it can't be the most healthy lifestyle. For anyone who does care; don't get your child food treats, as rewards, or as comforts (like ice cream on a bad day, or pizza after a sports win). This just teaches them habits that they may spend years trying to break.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    As opposed to mothers raising the next generation of sanctimonious poo poos.

5914901.gif
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Wow, I must be a terrible mother - I have a pic of my son on my Facebook with Nutella smeared all over his face...
  • Jesslane93
    Options
    Yes i am considered the mean parent because I don't my 'BABY' chocolate and cake and other cr*p like that. I will definitely perfectly fine with him having the odd chocolate bar when he is school aged, and has already ate all his vegies on his plate. And as for the people saying it could only be an every now an than thing on facebook. You are forgetting I am friends with these people, and they put these pics up 'EVERYDAY'! and my son is not under weight, or over weight. He is aloud to eat until he is full, just only healthy foods.
  • doointhis4me
    doointhis4me Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Meanwhile, someone, somewhere is having an actual problem.

This..
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I complete agree, it makes me want to scream. Hubby's families thought I was crazy when

I wouldn't put cordial/soda/rice cereal in my daughters bottles
    Delayed solids until 7-8months
    Wouldn't give them Mcdoanlds before 5
    They only snacks they can have is fruit/veggie sticks/nuts

My 2 girls are the only kids without weight problems in his whole family!!

I broke all your "rules" and my kids are a very healthy weight. We are active and if they want to have a snack cake for snack that's fine with me. My mom didn't allow candy or fast food, so as soon as we got our driver's license that's all we ate. Didn't take long for us to become obese.
This discussion has been closed.