Mothers raising the next generation of fat kids

Options

Replies

• Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Wow, I must be a terrible mother - I have a pic of my son on my Facebook with Nutella smeared all over his face...

And it's adorable. :flowerforyou:

I had a terrible mother - she NEVER gave me Nutella! I guess that's why I ended up fat and on MFP...

That's how this works, right?

Ohh.. I get it now.. Yep.. It's all my mother's fault that I drank too much and ate too much junk during college..
  • MizMimi111
    MizMimi111 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Having a rant...

I have a 14 month old son, and have so many friends around me with babies similar age. Everyday I see them posting pics on face book of there babies face covered in chocolate and cake. I am ok with 'kids' having a treat every now and than. But a 'baby' does not need that sort of food in there tiny bodies, and I feel like yelling at these stupid mothers and telling them to stop feeding there kids diabetes. Babies need real foods to help with there growth and development, not junk food. It is just as easy to chop up some banana for a baby for a snack than to just whip out the chocolate bar!
    At this young age it is crucial to start the our children on healthy eating habits.

This only directed at the mums who don't care for there children's health (Which seems to be a lot of them these days). I know there is still so many mum's out there who feed there babies the proper healthy foods.

You can't feed a child diabetes. I don't care what you were trying to say or if you were trying to be funny. It's not and you aren't.

I have 2 children with Type 1 diabetes. It is an autoimmune disease where the body starts to attack itself - specifically the pancreas, eventually the pancreas stops producing much needed insulin.

I did not feed my children too much sugar. It was not caused by anything I did or did not do.

[/my rant]

Grow up, worry about you and yours and stop making assumptions and judging other people. It makes you come off as immature and ignorant.
  • Carley
    Carley Posts: 88
    Options
    I complete agree, it makes me want to scream. Hubby's families thought I was crazy when

I wouldn't put cordial/soda/rice cereal in my daughters bottles
    Delayed solids until 7-8months
    Wouldn't give them Mcdoanlds before 5
    They only snacks they can have is fruit/veggie sticks/nuts

My 2 girls are the only kids without weight problems in his whole family!!

?

I broke all your "rules" and my kids are a very healthy weight. We are active and if they want to have a snack cake for snack that's fine with me. My mom didn't allow candy or fast food, so as soon as we got our driver's license that's all we ate. Didn't take long for us to become obese.

My girls get fast food, we have take out. They love Indian, yiros, home made burgers etc. we have KFC every now and then. We have candy but they do not really like it.

The difference? I am teaching them moderation. What is a snack cake? I'm in Australia so we do not have these.

It's like a cupcake, but it's prepackaged. Just mini cakes. (picture is too big to post)
    http://coquettecupcakes.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/sugar-bliss5.jpg

Ohhh thanks for pic, we have so,etching similar like that here. Not sure what they are called sorry!!!
  • mschichi26
    mschichi26 Posts: 12
    Options
    ERRR...
    Why mothers and not fathers out of curiosity?
  • Carley
    Options
    Wow, I must be a terrible mother - I have a pic of my son on my Facebook with Nutella smeared all over his face...

I had a terrible mother - she NEVER gave me Nutella! I guess that's why I ended up fat and on MFP...

Ohh.. I get it now.. Yep.. It's all my mother's fault that I drank too much and ate too much junk during college..

I think we are all taking what she said out of context. She was talking about little babies, not small kids.

We all have those photos. There is a huge difference from doing It every now and then to every day.
  • Carley
    Options
    Having a rant...

I have a 14 month old son, and have so many friends around me with babies similar age. Everyday I see them posting pics on face book of there babies face covered in chocolate and cake. I am ok with 'kids' having a treat every now and than. But a 'baby' does not need that sort of food in there tiny bodies, and I feel like yelling at these stupid mothers and telling them to stop feeding there kids diabetes. Babies need real foods to help with there growth and development, not junk food. It is just as easy to chop up some banana for a baby for a snack than to just whip out the chocolate bar!
    At this young age it is crucial to start the our children on healthy eating habits.

This only directed at the mums who don't care for there children's health (Which seems to be a lot of them these days). I know there is still so many mum's out there who feed there babies the proper healthy foods.

You can't feed a child diabetes. I don't care what you were trying to say or if you were trying to be funny. It's not and you aren't.

I have 2 children with Type 1 diabetes. It is an autoimmune disease where the body starts to attack itself - specifically the pancreas, eventually the pancreas stops producing much needed insulin.

I did not feed my children too much sugar. It was not caused by anything I did or did not do.

[/my rant]

Grow up, worry about you and yours and stop making assumptions and judging other people. It makes you come off as immature and ignorant.

True but you can set them up for type 2.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Oh, OP... you need a ladder? It'll probably have to be a firefighter one for several story building for that horse of yours.
  • AtticWindow
    AtticWindow Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Your peek at people is only a peek. You can't assume the entire diet of a child based on goofy Facebook updates or a family dining out. Focus on your kid/kids and stop expending so much emotional energy on something that isn't within you control and, frankly, not you business.
  • AtticWindow
    Options
    ERRR...

Because sexism.
  • AtticWindow
    Options
    I complete agree, it makes me want to scream. Hubby's families thought I was crazy when

I wouldn't put cordial/soda/rice cereal in my daughters bottles
    Delayed solids until 7-8months
    Wouldn't give them Mcdoanlds before 5
    They only snacks they can have is fruit/veggie sticks/nuts

My 2 girls are the only kids without weight problems in his whole family!!

I broke all your "rules" and my kids are a very healthy weight. We are active and if they want to have a snack cake for snack that's fine with me. My mom didn't allow candy or fast food, so as soon as we got our driver's license that's all we ate. Didn't take long for us to become obese.

^^ this - my parents restricted our food so much that we rebelled so hard when we finally got some kind of freedom....

Yep - we never got fast or junk food EVER as kids, no soda in the house EVER, etc., and so guess where I ate ALL THE TIME in college? If you said McDonald's YOU ARE RIGHT and you win this flower :flowerforyou:
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    ERRR...

Because sexism.

Real men only feed their babies what they can forage for themselves. Bacon, Whiskey, and women. .. it's a food now, don't judge
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    ERRR...

Because mothers are the root of all evil and fathers are infallible and awesome simply because they stick around and raise their kid. Do no wrong them guys. Oh and if they are absentee fathers, then out of sight out of mind. :) Nothing is his fault, ever. Period. So says society in general, so it must be true right???

:grumble:
  • MizMimi111
    MizMimi111 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Having a rant...

[/my rant]

Not true either. Type 2 diabetes is a metabolic disorder. Yes heathier eating and losing weight can greatly benefit those with this condition. But not all overweight people and/or people with unhealthy diets have (get) Type 2. Lots of healthy weight people get it too.
  • AtticWindow
    Options
    ERRR...

Because sexism.

Real men only feed their babies what they can forage for themselves. Bacon, Whiskey, and women. .. it's a food now, don't judge

They can also feed their babies Man Yogurt (NOT a euphemism).

4+blog+powermaple+copy.jpg
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Having a rant...

[/my rant]

It doesn't work like that. Fat isn't a diabetes guarantee, and after a certain point, that "child" is a grown individual and responsible for determing their own habits, regardless of what they were taught growing up. There are many kids who pig out on freedom after being denied and restricted food growing up, and there are many who take their health into their own hands after being raised on a crummy diet. Not to even mention the educational and class factors at play with many mothers doing the best they can. And again, fat is a safer bet than starving to death when it comes to children and "health," and you don't know what every fat kid's background is. You don't get to determine whether or not their parents care about them. It's not abuse unless it's some obscure case of emotional feeder/feedee dependent relationship or something.
  • Jesslane93
    Jesslane93 Posts: 190 Member
    Options

I think we are all taking what she said out of context. She was talking about little babies, not small kids.

We all have those photos. There is a huge difference from doing It every now and then to every day.

^Thank you. Yes I am talking about little babies (Mostly under the age of one, where there digestive system can not process certain foods as good as older kids) also you can't teach a baby about moderation. You control entirely what goes into there mouths. When they can communicate back and understand than give them the chocolate bar, and teach them that it is ok to have a treat every now and than, but too much could lead to diabetes and obesity.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options

^Thank you. Yes I am talking about little babies (Mostly under the age of one, where there digestive system can not process certain foods as good as older kids) also you can't teach a baby about moderation. You control entirely what goes into there mouths. When they can communicate back and understand than give them the chocolate bar, and teach them that it is ok to have a treat every now and than, but too much could lead to diabetes and obesity.

*rolls eyes*
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    When i was a kid, I had real food-vegetables mom canned from our garden, meats we raised on our own, canned fruit from the neighbor's trees, and sometimes we got treats and we got that chocolate, or ice cream, or whatever all over our faces. Shoot, even though mom tried hard to moderate all our eating habits (we had to ask before having a snack), often did not allow us to eat junk, and often would not allow us to snack in between meals, I turned out fat.

Just because someone fees their child sweets does not mean a bad parent, just like someone feeling their child all wholesome foods is a good parent. /

With all due respect, it might behoove you to stop judging other parents for what they feed their kids and keep your focus on you and what you choose to feed your kid. Remember, when you see someone feeing their child something that you believe is bad for them, you are seeing a snippet and not the whole picture. :wink:
This discussion has been closed.