Mothers raising the next generation of fat kids

Options

Replies

• looseseal
    looseseal Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Meanwhile, someone, somewhere is having an actual problem.

^ This.

And this: their

Seriously.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Moms judging other moms are the worst. Good luck your next 16+ years OP!!

Wait, isn't that what we are supposed to do? I mean, how else am I supposed to judge my self worth if I can't look down on other moms cause my kid is better or I am a better parent?
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    FACT - There will always be parents out there that should not be parents...for many reasons other than what they feed their kids (though, without a doubt, this can be concerning in some circumstances.) Unfortunately, these parents will never know who they are.
    Some diets are better then others, but feeding a child a diet that does not conform to your ideals (generic you) does not make it a bad diet. Bad parents do know who they are, bad parents just don't care. That is why they are bad parents.

I agree with you 100%. my son is 18months and has never had chocolate or anything like that. he eats healthier then I do! Its always those mothers that try and justify it by saying oh my kid doesnt like veggies... that sounds more like a parenting problem to me!

Poor kid. chocolate is yummy.. I really really hope you did the smash cake for his 1st birthday. That's a rite of passage.. denying your kid treats such as chocolate just means he will eat a ton when mommy isn't around. sorry, but that's the plain truth of it. My son has never been restricted from eating treats (quantity was limited before though), and now he moderates himself.
    Wow, I must be a terrible mother - I have a pic of my son on my Facebook with Nutella smeared all over his face...
    Welcome to the club! *pulls up second chair* We have cookies here. :drinker:

Yay, Cookies!! May I have one for me AND one for my toddler? :love:

Yep! And I won't even judge you!
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    *raises hand*

relax OP, take a deep breath, and worry about your own children, ffs

My kids, all four of them, are active and healthy and have survived for years on my lack of cooking. Giving them pie for breakfast every now and then has helped them. I swear.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Hmm, my 11 year old lives off popsicles, chips, candy, and sammiches...........he is more ripped than I am
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I understand the concerns that many people have and responded to the OP by telling her to mind her business and watch your own kids..this is true, but you can't turn a blind eye to the fact that American children in the modern world are becoming more obese and at risk for many related diseases because of their diet and/or lack of exercise. As an educator for the past 20 years I see kids struggling with their weight much more in recent years than ever before. Our society has changed greatly and parents, schools, food manufacturers, fast food industry etc... are all in the same boat of adding to the obesity epidemic.

A recent movie documentary with Katy Couric entitled " Fed Up" is out in theaters now. I read the plot summary and it touches on many of the same issues being brough up on this thread. Here is the summary: Upending the conventional wisdom of why we gain weight and how to lose it, Fed Up unearths a dirty secret of the American food industry-far more of us get sick from what we eat than anyone has previously realized. Filmmaker Stephanie Soechtig and TV journalist Katie Couric lead us through this potent exposé that uncovers why-despite media attention, the public's fascination with appearance, and government policies to combat childhood obesity-generations of American children will now live shorter lives than their parents did.
    Sounds like we should all stop pointing fingers and be accountable for our own lifeltyles and be open to the facts. Just my two cents.

What stood out to me was - AS AN EDUCATOR. When I was in school, we had three things: daily recess outside, hot lunch (with meat, veggies, fruit AND a treat), church 3 times a week and P.E. I went to private school, so I'm not sure what the public schools were doing at that time. I'm a homeschooler, but I still try to stay abreast of what is going on in the schools and support public educators. What I see now going on in the public schools is - no discussion of God, buffet style meals with ketchup counting as a vegetable, vending machines, no or reduced P.E., reduced or no recess, and increased computer time.

Now, I'm not some bumpkin that doesn't understand why some of these policies were put in place, but children were much more active physically and being fed spiritually when I was little. Children, especially boys, are naturally active, and need to move and run, yet a premium is being put on sitting for long periods of time, to the point of labeling and medicating children to do so.

The problem is much greater than junk food. It is the combination of chemicals, both eaten and prescribed, malnutrition, both physical and spiritual, and the mixed message we send to kids - be active but sit still, run and play, but don't climb, ride, slide, use a ball or do anything fun without layers of foam padding.

We get very hot and bothered over obesity, but we must remember the time when the military's biggest problem was recruits that were underweight and lacked strength. The food industry has overcorrected, surely, but if we are going to discuss the obesity problem in America, we have to look at all the factors to achieve a viable solution, not just point fingures at one or two factors.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Having a rant...

I have a 14 month old son, and have so many friends around me with babies similar age. Everyday I see them posting pics on face book of there babies face covered in chocolate and cake. I am ok with 'kids' having a treat every now and than. But a 'baby' does not need that sort of food in there tiny bodies, and I feel like yelling at these stupid mothers and telling them to stop feeding there kids diabetes. Babies need real foods to help with there growth and development, not junk food. It is just as easy to chop up some banana for a baby for a snack than to just whip out the chocolate bar!
    At this young age it is crucial to start the our children on healthy eating habits.

This only directed at the mums who don't care for there children's health (Which seems to be a lot of them these days). I know there is still so many mum's out there who feed there babies the proper healthy foods.

I honestly NO JOKE think FB is the PERFECT place for this post.

I HIGHLY suggest you go to FB right now and respond to every single one of those pics with the most succinct and exemplary of you part of your statement.

"Stupid mothers (must) stop feeding there kids diabetes!"

Just copy pasta so it will be faster because you will have so many pics to respond to you don't want to take too much typing it each time. GOOD LUCK. It's your war to fight. Now go fight it. On FB.

This is actually a great idea. How are you going to change them and help their kids if you just talk about them behind their back? Go tell all your facebook friends that they are making their kids fat and they are stupid.

I recently decided that if I can't say it to their face I won't say it behind their back. I've learned to be more open in communicating with people and to stop judging so quickly.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Moms judging other moms are the worst. Good luck your next 16+ years OP!!

This. +5,000
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Well, at least they are feeding their kids.

What I can't wrap my head around is grown able bodied married couples with kids who choose to live in poverty by refusing to get a job going on Facebook saying they can't afford groceries and basic living necessities.

I feel for the working poor, they get my sympathy because I've been there and done that, but not the re-fusing to work poor.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    All I can say to the parent of 14 month old is...

You have it easy right now.

I HIGHLY recommend you stop judging anyone's choices about anything and get clear on your own.

This is the most factual statement in the entire thread.. :drinker:

I'm about ready to rip my hair out...

UGH :frown: :yawn:
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    If I were your kid, I'd hang out at your friend's place to eat regular food without hearing you demonize it.
  • MichelleB69
    MichelleB69 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Because we all know FB portrays reality….
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

What I can't wrap my head around is grown able bodied married couples with kids who choose to live in poverty by refusing to get a job going on Facebook saying they can't afford groceries and basic living necessities.

I feel for the working poor, they get my sympathy because I've been there and done that, but not the re-fusing to work poor.

Complete. And total. Thread. Derailer.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    Hmm, my 11 year old lives off popsicles, chips, candy, and sammiches...........he is more ripped than I am

I'm pretty sure chocolate milk is a super food.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure chocolate milk is a super food.

My kid's abs would indicate so.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Well, this escalated (to 8 pages) quickly...
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    mothers. ugh.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options

Ok, how is it de-railing? It talks about feeding their kids, Facebook, and parents posting. It seems completely connected to OP to me.

There are a lot of topics going in this thread, guns, crossbows, medical treatment, diabetes, grandparents, dads, how are those not de-railing but mine is?
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Having a rant...

I have a 14 month old son, and have so many friends around me with babies similar age. Everyday I see them posting pics on face book of there babies face covered in chocolate and cake. I am ok with 'kids' having a treat every now and than. But a 'baby' does not need that sort of food in there tiny bodies, and I feel like yelling at these stupid mothers and telling them to stop feeding there kids diabetes. Babies need real foods to help with there growth and development, not junk food. It is just as easy to chop up some banana for a baby for a snack than to just whip out the chocolate bar!
    At this young age it is crucial to start the our children on healthy eating habits.

This only directed at the mums who don't care for there children's health (Which seems to be a lot of them these days). I know there is still so many mum's out there who feed there babies the proper healthy foods.

Hon, you have no idea what sort of life they are living. Have they been taught proper nutrition? Can they afford healthy meals? Perhaps these photos are for special occasions? You're creating a (strong) opinion based on a small window into a life that you know very little about.

Just focus on your little one and the choices you make for him/her. You will make plenty of mistakes in the future - lets just hope no one sees them, else you might find your life on a message board.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options

Ok, how is it de-railing? It talks about feeding their kids, Facebook, and parents posting. It seems completely connected to OP to me.

There are a lot of topics going in this thread, guns, crossbows, sexism, medical treatment, diabetes, grandparents, dads, how are those not de-railing but mine is?
This discussion has been closed.