Detox water!!

Replies

• JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    . Although you’re temporarily energized, this kind of dirty energy is actually very draining and depletes your body’s energy reserves.

Oh GAWD. As if dirty food isn't enough, now we have dirty energy!
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    THIS!!!
    Health Benefits of Lemon Water
    Promotes hydration
    Natural energy boost
    Promotes an alkaline pH
    Promotes Elimination
    Aids digestion
    Boosts immune system
    Boosts hydrochloric acid production
    Natural diuretic
    Antibacterial properties
    Aids with gastric upsets such as heartburn and indigestion
    Purifies the blood
    Promotes healthy liver enzyme levels
    Promotes circulation in the liver
    Helps dissolve uric acid in the joints
    Acts as a natural solvent for calcium deposits, kidney stones, pancreatic stones, and gallstones
    The vitamin C nourishes and rejuvenates your skin from the inside, bringing you a healthy glow

Energy Boost & Hydration
    Citric acid in lemon is highly electrically active, and pure water acts as a conductor to deliver electrolytes directly to your cells. It’s liken to a liquid sunshine burst that boosts cell energy and nourishes your adrenals for a clean energy output that sustains you throughout your day. This is why lemon water is so effective with helping people kick the coffee habit. Coffee is dehydrating and stresses your adrenals. Although you’re temporarily energized, this kind of dirty energy is actually very draining and depletes your body’s energy reserves.

Quoting stupid and incorrect statements and agreeing with them makes you just as bad as the person who copy/pasted it.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    I just heard it would help reduce belly fat! It's something I am trying to include in my diet.

Belly fat is caused by fat, which is caused by eating at a calorie surplus, not toxins. So even if you could detox with lemon or mint or ginger (you can't) it would do nothing for the fat.

To lose belly fat, eat less and move more.

Drink [lemon/ginger/mint/cinnamon/whatever] water if it tastes good to you. Staying hydrated (from the water) is good for overall health.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    eat fewer calories than are required for you to maintain your current weight and rock your nutrition...that's all there is too it...there are no magic potions...there are no magic pills...time of day doesn't matter...how many times per day you eat doesn't matter...green tea and cinnamon in your water doesn't matter.

All that matters is that you are eating fewer calories than are required for you to maintain your weight...and I personally put a premium on nutrition as well. It really is that simple...there is no need to complicate what is not at all complicated.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Promotes hydration
    Natural energy boost
    Promotes an alkaline pH
    Promotes Elimination
    Aids digestion
    Boosts immune system
    Natural diuretic
    Antibacterial properties
    Purifies the blood
    Acts as a natural solvent for calcium deposits, kidney stones, pancreatic stones, and gallstones
    The vitamin C nourishes and rejuvenates your skin from the inside, bringing you a healthy glow

Energy Boost & Hydration
    Citric acid in lemon is highly electrically active, and pure water acts as a conductor to deliver electrolytes directly to your cells. It’s liken to a liquid sunshine burst that boosts cell energy and nourishes your adrenals for a clean energy output that sustains you throughout your day. This is why lemon water is so effective with helping people kick the coffee habit. Coffee is dehydrating and stresses your adrenals. Although you’re temporarily energized, this kind of dirty energy is actually very draining and depletes your body’s energy reserves.
    How exactly does a HIGHLY acidic food (lemons have a pH of 2.5) promote an alkaline pH?
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    . Although you’re temporarily energized, this kind of dirty energy is actually very draining and depletes your body’s energy reserves.

I prefer my energy dirty! It helps with training dirty. I'm supposed to eat clean and train dirty right? That's what they always say!
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450

I always have dirty energy! :blushing:
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 595 Member
    Promotes hydration

SOLD!!
  • Froggymcconnell
    Froggymcconnell Posts: 92 Member
    I have been on a 'ginger tea with lemon' kick for the past couple of days and let me tell you it's a great detox. I didn't know they use it as a detox, I was just trying to get rid of this cold without having to resort to antibiotics. Works really well.

Tazo has an organic chai with a blend of spices, but I don't find it works that well.

Colds are viral...they do not give antibiotics for a virus. Take some zinc, that will help.

Seriously...if your Doctor prescribed you antibiotics for a cold...time to get a new doctor.

you don t know what your talking about!!!!! stating a antibiotics not for cold! did you ask the person why they on them because as I am asthmatic every time I get the cold I end up on antibiotics and steroids so before commenting do research instead of talking out your backside!
  • EllieB_5
    EllieB_5 Posts: 247 Member
    I've never understood the whole detox fad... doesn't your liver and kidneys already detox your body? As for helping your liver and kidneys detox your body... water. That's it. Unless some new science has come out. As for "detoxing your liver"... water.
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 595 Member

Dirty energy, dark energy's dirty and lazy cousin that tries to decelerate the expansion of the universe!!! :sad:
  • EllieB_5
    [...]
    Promotes an alkaline pH

How on earth are you increasing stomach acid production while simultaneously increasing pH levels? Also the blood purification bit.. seriously??

The claim (from the woo-mongers) is that lemon magically raises the pH of BLOOD, not the stomach. Although how a small amount of lemon juice is going to affect the pH of my carbonate-buffered blood is beyond me. In fact, it would be very worrying if true, as I like my blood to be at the correct pH (hence why we have the buffering system in the first place).

Stahps with your sciences!! It's affecting my lemonade sales :tongue:
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    I have been on a 'ginger tea with lemon' kick for the past couple of days and let me tell you it's a great detox. I didn't know they use it as a detox, I was just trying to get rid of this cold without having to resort to antibiotics. Works really well.

Tazo has an organic chai with a blend of spices, but I don't find it works that well.

Colds are viral...they do not give antibiotics for a virus. Take some zinc, that will help.

Seriously...if your Doctor prescribed you antibiotics for a cold...time to get a new doctor.

you don t know what your talking about!!!!! stating a antibiotics not for cold! did you ask the person why they on them because as I am asthmatic every time I get the cold I end up on antibiotics and steroids so before commenting do research instead of talking out your backside!

Sounds like some dirty energy you have going on there.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    If your blood needs to be purified, you're going to need a lot more than a squeeze of lemon.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member

Colds are caused by rhinovirus which, as a virus, is unaffected by antibiotics. Inflammation associated with an autoimmune disorder such as asthma can increase the risk of opportunistic infection by bacteria and this can be aggrevated by a cold but that has nothing to do with the cold itself. Steroids are often given as an anti-inflammatory in those exact circumstances.

Antiobiotics kill bacteria, not viruses. This is just fact.

So yes...if you have "a cold" (not asthma) you should not be prescribed antibiotics for the cold. No, I am not "talking out of my backside".

If you do not believe me feel free to ask your doctor if you were given antibiotics to specifically deal with your cold or because of inflammation associated with your asthma and treatment with steroids.
  • sk_pirate
    sk_pirate Posts: 282 Member
    This post made me really angry.

Just....no! Just....STAAAAHHHHP!

ETA:

Colds are caused by rhinovirus which, as a virus, is unaffected by antibiotics. Inflammation associated with an autoimmune disorder such as asthma can increase the risk of opportunistic infection by bacteria and this can be aggrevated by a cold but that has nothing to do with the cold itself. Steroids are often given as an anti-inflammatory in those exact circumstances.

So yes...if you have "a cold" (not asthma) you should not be perscribed antibiotics for the cold. No, I am not "talking out of my backside".

If you do not believe me feel free to ask your doctor if you were given antibiotics to specifically deal with your cold or because of inflammation associated with your asthma.

I also have asthma and this ^^^^ is correct. I'd be sketched out of any doctor telling you otherwise.
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Promotes hydration
    Natural energy boost
    Promotes an alkaline pH
    Promotes Elimination
    Aids digestion
    Boosts immune system
    Natural diuretic
    Antibacterial properties
    Purifies the blood

Energy Boost & Hydration
    Lol. Wow.
    ^^^ that^^^ Miracle drink????
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Wow, angry bunch. It's not a magical cure, you have to do your hard work with exercise and proper nutrition, but there are so many health benefits to lemons. Adding to the water can't harm.

It amazes me how MFP forums bring out the absolute negative types. It's a board, with opinions. So yours differs, my goodness, personal attacks are hardly necessary.
  • RobynSmithIBECHS
    RobynSmithIBECHS Posts: 86 Member
    I add lemon juice to my water because the water in my town sucks (even after Brita) and the lemon makes it taste nice. I don't think it will have some magic effect on my blubber.
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 810 Member
    I have tried all of it. Nothing helped weightloss-wise. The only thing I can say about the honey & cinnamon tea is that it really helps with arthritis issues. My mom tried it when I did. She kept on after two months because it really helped her rhumatoid arthritis.
  • Aaron_K123
    but there are so many health benefits to lemons.

Such as?
    Wow, angry bunch.

You seem to be confusing skepticism and humor with anger. I am not angry, I am just skeptical about the magical properties of lemons.
  • Aaron_K123
    This post made me really angry.

Just....no! Just....STAAAAHHHHP!

ETA:

So yes...if you have "a cold" (not asthma) you should not be perscribed antibiotics for the cold. No, I am not "talking out of my backside".

If you do not believe me feel free to ask your doctor if you were given antibiotics to specifically deal with your cold or because of inflammation associated with your asthma.

I also have asthma and this ^^^^ is correct. I'd be sketched out of any doctor telling you otherwise.

While you are waiting for doctor response enjoy this cartoon meme

20130128-203646.jpg
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    I've never understood the whole detox fad... doesn't your liver and kidneys already detox your body? As for helping your liver and kidneys detox your body... water. That's it. Unless some new science has come out. As for "detoxing your liver"... water.

+1
  • EllieB_5
    Wow, angry bunch. It's not a magical cure, you have to do your hard work with exercise and proper nutrition, but there are so many health benefits to lemons. Adding to the water can't harm.

It amazes me how MFP forums bring out the absolute negative types. It's a board, with opinions. So yours differs, my goodness, personal attacks are hardly necessary.

Fine, I'll be serious.

I recently started drinking a smoothie touted as a weight-loss smoothie. Of course, it includes green tea and lemons. I drink it not for it's amazing weight-loss benefits but because that citrus-y goodness first thing in the morning boosts my mood and the caffeine gives me a kick. Not to mention the spinach, dairy, hemp hearts, et al make it a decent breakfast.

There's limited research into foods as weight-loss tools and none are definitive. Until something definitive appears on my Google scholar, I would say lemons probably do not improve weight-loss.
  • fooninie
    According to one article on Livestrong:
    (http://www.livestrong.com/article/111175-benefits-lemon-water/)

Lemon's Benefits
    Adding lemon to water is an easy way to get some of this fruit's nutritional benefits. Lemons are low in saturated fat and sodium and are also a good source of folate, potassium and vitamin C. Folate is a water-soluble B vitamin known to prevent neural tube defects during pregnancy; it also may prevent cognitive decline, cancer, certain psychiatric illnesses and cardiovascular conditions. Potassium builds protein and muscle, maintains normal body growth and controls the electrical activity of the heart. And lastly, vitamin C is needed for the growth and repair of tissues in all parts of the body, notes MedlinePlus. As an antioxidant, it contains nutrients that block damage caused by free radicals, which may play a role in cancer, heart disease and arthritis.

Cleansing Properties
    Lemon water also plays a key role in cleansing your system, according to Dr. David Jockers, owner and operator of the Exodus Health Center in Kennesaw, Georgia. Water infused with lemon contains citric acid, which can clean out calcium stones and prevent calcium deposits from building up in arteries. These deposits can promote cardiovascular disease. Jockers also notes that lemon water can provide the body with hydration, antioxidants and electrolytes.

A Healthy Alternative
    Lemon water can serve as a tasty alternative to other, less healthy beverages. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says that while calories in drinks aren't "hidden," you may not realize just how many calories beverages can contribute to your daily intake. For example, in a 12-ounce serving, apple juice has 192 calories, orange juice has 168 calories, lemonade has 168 calories and a sports drink has 99 calories. In contrast, lemon water has zero -- making it a great choice for when you want a flavorful drink but not all the added calories.

Such as?
    Wow, angry bunch.

You seem to be confusing skepticism and humor with anger. I am not angry, I am just skeptical about the magical properties of lemons.

Actually, calling someone "just as bad" as the person sharing the "stupid" information, is not skepticism, it's rude and juvenile behaviour. I'm not confused. I like a healthy debate, truly, but debating and trying to make people feel stupid are certainly not the same things. I'm just saying, I've also read several articles and some research which alludes to many health benefits of lemon. I don't think the poster was wrong or stupid.
  • Aaron_K123
    Look, these are the primary electrolytes your body uses for the conduction of electrical signals (by the way not to be confused with energy, energy in the body is chemical not electrical...electrical pulses are just used for sibnal transduction).

Potassium, Calcium, Magnesium and Sodium.

Which one of those do lemons have a lot of?

Lets see. 1 lemon has:

1 miligram of sodium, about 1/2500 of your recommended daily intake
    80 miligram of potassium, about 1/50 of your recommended daily intake.
    Trace amounts of magnesium, maybe 1/100 of your daily.
    Same with calcium, trace amounts.

And that is an entire lemon.

So what is this "chock full of electrolytes" nonesense. WHAT electrolytes? Can anyone answer that?

As for energy an entire lemon has about 5g of carbs.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Wow, angry bunch. It's not a magical cure. You have to do your hard work with exercise and proper nutrition, but there are so many [strike]health[/strike] tasty benefits to lemons. Adding to the water can't harm.

That's better. :laugh: <- to show I'm not angry

You can have whatever opinion you like. Some opinions, however, go against everything we know about science and how the human body (and lemons) work. In other words, opinions can be WRONG.

Although claiming lemons have all these health benefits rises to the level of Not Even Wrong. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_even_wrong]
  • EllieB_5

Lemon's Benefits
    Adding lemon to water is an easy way to get some of this fruit's nutritional benefits. Lemons are low in saturated fat and sodium and are also a good source of folate, potassium and vitamin C. Folate is a water-soluble B vitamin known to prevent neural tube defects during pregnancy; it also may prevent cognitive decline, cancer, certain psychiatric illnesses and cardiovascular conditions. Potassium builds protein and muscle, maintains normal body growth and controls the electrical activity of the heart. And lastly, vitamin C is needed for the growth and repair of tissues in all parts of the body, notes MedlinePlus. As an antioxidant, it contains nutrients that block damage caused by free radicals, which may play a role in cancer, heart disease and arthritis.

Cleansing Properties
    Lemon water also plays a key role in cleansing your system, according to Dr. David Jockers, owner and operator of the Exodus Health Center in Kennesaw, Georgia. Water infused with lemon contains citric acid, which can clean out calcium stones and prevent calcium deposits from building up in arteries. These deposits can promote cardiovascular disease. Jockers also notes that lemon water can provide the body with hydration, antioxidants and electrolytes.

A Healthy Alternative
    Lemon water can serve as a tasty alternative to other, less healthy beverages. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says that while calories in drinks aren't "hidden," you may not realize just how many calories beverages can contribute to your daily intake. For example, in a 12-ounce serving, apple juice has 192 calories, orange juice has 168 calories, lemonade has 168 calories and a sports drink has 99 calories. In contrast, lemon water has zero -- making it a great choice for when you want a flavorful drink but not all the added calories.

Such as?
    Wow, angry bunch.

Actually, calling someone "just as bad" as the person sharing the "stupid" information, is not skepticism, it's rude and juvenile behaviour. I'm not confused. I like a healthy debate, truly, but debating and trying to make people feel stupid are certainly not the same things. I'm just saying, I've also read several articles and some research which alludes to many health benefits of lemon. I don't think the poster was wrong or stupid.

Livestrong is not a scientific article. We crave science. Real science. Please go find science.
  • Aaron_K123
    Livestrong is a blog populated by editorial articles written by god-knows who I would not consider it to be a reliable source of information.

Lemon's are a good source of potassium and folate? On what planet?

Here is the nutritional information for a lemon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemon

How many lemons would you have to eat to get just your daily amounts of potassium and folate?

You would have to eat 65 lemons (entire lemons) to get your daily amount of potassium and folate.

A "squeeze" of lemon is going to have completely negligible nutritional value. It might make the water taste good and if you like that thats cool but lets not kid ourselves here about nutritional value.
  • fooninie
    This is not a scientific forum, it's a fitness forum for people who are going through similar things and can share ideas and opinions and scientific facts - not exclusivel to any of those things. I get it, it's super important to know for sure. It's the attitude of hate and tearing down people that reminds me why I stay silent most of the time. One can have an opinion about something without inferring stupidity of the person who does not have the same opinion.

Lemon's Benefits

Cleansing Properties

A Healthy Alternative

Such as?
    Wow, angry bunch.

Livestrong is not a scientific article. We crave science. Real science. Please go find science.