Detox water!!

Options

Replies

• richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Now, I've been thinking...

If resveratrol makes us healthy ubermensches, and lemon slices in water does the same....

wine is mostly water, if we were to put fruit slices into wine, wouldn't this double rainbow all across the sky the health benefits?

Ergo, vis a vis, concordantly... drink sangria for great health.

I like they way you think :drinker:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Moreover, I used GRE words, it's science!

:D
  • EllieB_5
    EllieB_5 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    One can have an opinion about something without inferring stupidity of the person who does not have the same opinion.

One can have opinions about things for which there are no facts. For things for which there are facts one can be right and one can be wrong.

Yoda came to mind :flowerforyou:
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I just heard it would help reduce belly fat! It's something I am trying to include in my diet.

So include it. It's only water with lemon.....what do you have to lose?
  • JamieD328
    JamieD328 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    What was this about again? Oh...yeah... I think I've seen similar articles and recipes to what the original poster is talking about. Tends to claim they help get rid of bloat, hence the confusion about saying it helps shed belly fat. So not something that really helps you lose weight or anything, but in theory help flatten your stomach. And before some smarty pants steps forward to scientifically tear down what I've just said, I'm not claiming it works, just saying its probably what the OP was asking for before the blood purification and antibiotics got involved.
  • ValGogo
    Options
    Has anyone been consuming water with lemon, mint and ginger or anything similar? Or anyone tried cinnamon tea?
    is it making any difference?

Was the person telling you about detox water overweight?-- because I usually find its the fat ones who swear by it. I have yet to have a person who has sucessfully lost weight and kept it off try and convince me to try this gimick.

If anything these types of drinks will increase your water intake and that has a positive impact on your weightloss goals. Its not the detoxifying ingredients like lemon, mint, ginger or cinnamon. They won't do anything for you though if you arent also at a caloric deficit. Go ahead and add them, they wont harm you but dont expect them to act like magic weightloss beans.
    '

Oh my God Corlissa, I've been wanting to say that about the heavies for weeks but I didn't want anyone to cry. Thank you for posting that!!!!
  • ValGogo
    Options
    By the way anyone who says "this and that reduces belly fat" without adding diet and exercise is just looking for q quick fix that never comes. Don't listen to them.

Also, the only quick fix in existence is usually in a syringe loaded with drugs. Don't do that either!!!
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    This is not a scientific forum, it's a fitness forum for people who are going through similar things and can share ideas and opinions and scientific facts - not exclusivel to any of those things. I get it, it's super important to know for sure. It's the attitude of hate and tearing down people that reminds me why I stay silent most of the time. One can have an opinion about something without inferring stupidity of the person who does not have the same opinion.
    notes that lemon water can provide the body with hydration, antioxidants and electrolytes.

The two (science and fitness) are not mutually exclusive. I read the livestrong article you quoted. A saw quite a few "may" which means "we don't know for sure". Taking something that MIGHT be beneficial but isn't conclusively is often a waste of time (especially in the doses that would be in lemon water). Notice that primary research was NOT cited in the article to allow us to read it.

I will disagree rather strongly with one thing you said. A person doesn't not get to have an opinion on facts. Milk containing calcium is a fact. A person can't come along and claim it doesn't and say "well that's my opinion". Claiming things that are definitely false (and in some cases, biologically impossible) as health benefits to lemon water and then saying "well it's my opinion" doesn't cut it. A grownup admits he/she was wrong or misinformed when presented with factual information.

Edited to add: Well I saw a post a few minutes later where you said you were wrong and glad for additional information. Yep, you're a grown-up!
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    you don t know what your talking about!!!!! stating a antibiotics not for cold! did you ask the person why they on them because as I am asthmatic every time I get the cold I end up on antibiotics and steroids so before commenting do research instead of talking out your backside!
    [/quote]

__________________________________________________________________________________________
    My goodness, aren't you a rude one. No zinc for you. :tongue:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Has anyone been consuming water with lemon, mint and ginger or anything similar? Or anyone tried cinnamon tea?
    is it making any difference?

Was the person telling you about detox water overweight?-- because I usually find its the fat ones who swear by it. I have yet to have a person who has sucessfully lost weight and kept it off try and convince me to try this gimick.

If anything these types of drinks will increase your water intake and that has a positive impact on your weightloss goals. Its not the detoxifying ingredients like lemon, mint, ginger or cinnamon. They won't do anything for you though if you arent also at a caloric deficit. Go ahead and add them, they wont harm you but dont expect them to act like magic weightloss beans.
    '

Oh my God Corlissa, I've been wanting to say that about the heavies for weeks but I didn't want anyone to cry. Thank you for posting that!!!!

Hahaha, the heavies, like they're a unit in a wargame.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I add lemon juice to my water because the water in my town sucks (even after Brita) and the lemon makes it taste nice. I don't think it will have some magic effect on my blubber.

I like your attitude.

Bad tasting water is THE WORST.
  • MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    no
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    DetoxGraph_zps6af67182.png
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    you don t know what your talking about!!!!! stating a antibiotics not for cold! did you ask the person why they on them because as I am asthmatic every time I get the cold I end up on antibiotics and steroids so before commenting do research instead of talking out your backside!

__________________________________________________________________________________________
    My goodness, aren't you a rude one. No zinc for you. :tongue:

What?
    mark-wahlberg.gif
  • ginalovefire
    Options
    eat fewer calories than are required for you to maintain your current weight and rock your nutrition...that's all there is too it...there are no magic potions...there are no magic pills...time of day doesn't matter...how many times per day you eat doesn't matter...green tea and cinnamon in your water doesn't matter.

All that matters is that you are eating fewer calories than are required for you to maintain your weight...and I personally put a premium on nutrition as well. It really is that simple...there is no need to complicate what is not at all complicated.

THIS.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I drink one glass of water in the morning with 2 tsp of apple cider vinegar. This is great for blood pressure. The rest of the time I add lemon to my water. I can't say that the lemon itself has has helped me lose weight, but lemon enhances the flavor and I do drink more water as a result. Drinking more water HAS helped me lose weight so whatever makes you drink more water, is a good thing.

Um, no.
    Also, in for dirty energy and pure blood.

Some quick google-fu shows two studies finding a correlation between vinegar and blood pressure in rats, but the respectable websites are cautioning that a causation has NOT been established and it has NOT been repeated in humans. Quite a few of the sites insisting on its curative powers are also demanding "raw organic apple cider vinegar" with lots of buzzwords like "miracle food". These are not sites devoted to scientific rigor and critical thinking.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    Wow, angry bunch. It's not a magical cure. You have to do your hard work with exercise and proper nutrition, but there are so many [strike]health[/strike] tasty benefits to lemons. Adding to the water can't harm.

That's better. :laugh: <- to show I'm not angry

It amazes me how MFP forums bring out the absolute negative types. It's a board, with opinions. So yours differs, my goodness, personal attacks are hardly necessary.

You can have whatever opinion you like. Some opinions, however, go against everything we know about science and how the human body (and lemons) work. In other words, opinions can be WRONG.

Although claiming lemons have all these health benefits rises to the level of Not Even Wrong. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_even_wrong]

:bigsmile:
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I don't take anything on the forums personally. No worries there. I'm good with learning new things. I will say this: Check out Ben Pakulski's stuff...
    I don't mind being proven wrong. Thanks for the additional info. :D
    This is not a scientific forum, it's a fitness forum for people who are going through similar things and can share ideas and opinions and scientific facts - not exclusivel to any of those things. I get it, it's super important to know for sure. It's the attitude of hate and tearing down people that reminds me why I stay silent most of the time. One can have an opinion about something without inferring stupidity of the person who does not have the same opinion.

You aren't being silenced or excluded you are being told you are wrong because you are wrong. As I can clearly show lemons are not a good source of folate or potassium and just because a blogger wrote an article on Livestrong saying they are doesn't make it so.

I do hope that you haven't read my posts with an angry tone, I am certainly not angry nor do I think you are stupid. I think there is a lot of misinformation out there and I think it should all be questioned that is all. I do hope you took none of my comments personally I do not have any desire to upset or offend.