Fitbit $100. is it worth it?

Options
CindyMarcuzAdams
CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
Hi there all. I see quite a bit on here about the fitbit. I really want to get into walking so much more than I do. Due to multiple leg surgeries walking isnt fun for me. I thought maybe a way to track my progress would be a good idea. Are they worth the money? Any info would be appreciated. Cindy

Replies

• paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of getting one too.
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    What do you both want the Fitbit to do?
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit, it keeps my active and have the Fitbit One so I can wear it just about all the time since it is easy to hide. The wrist band would not fit my style.
  • bsalvato
    bsalvato Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on what you're hoping to get out of it. Speaking personally, I've had a Fitbit of some type for the last two years and that in combination with MFP and my Fitbit Aria scale have definitely helped me on my journey. Seeing myself stacked up against my friends and family that also have Fitbits is excellent motivation and a reminder that I need to keep myself active or I drop to the bottom of the pile so to speak. It's also helped me get a better grasp on what my actual daily activity output is which in turn helps me with my daily caloric intake goals.

Bottom line, I definitely think it's worth the money but there are other's who maybe don't get the same feel for it or use it to it's full potential. It's all up to you.
  • trish07tx
    trish07tx Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I love mine. I didn't realize how little I moved on a weekday basis until I set a daily goal of 10K steps and strove to meet it each day. Also my brother in law has one so we have a constant competition to out step one another so it motivates me to keep moving on the eilliptical!
  • looseseal
    looseseal Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I don't have a Fitbit. However, I have downloaded a couple of apps onto my ipod touch that track my walking. Maybe try some of those (if you have a phone or itouch that you can download apps to) to see if the tracking part is helpful, then decide about the Fitbit. $100 is a pretty good chunk of change.

I like this one,it's on sale at the moment for $1.99:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/moves-tracker-running-walking/id750864136?mt=8

I also found this one while rummaging through the itunes app store. It's free, doesn't count steps or anything, just kind of a movement tracker/motivator. I like it, it's a very aesthetically pleasing app to use.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/human-make-moving-fun-run/id692721875?mt=8
  • cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    In one word - YES :)
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    It has been for me, personally. Every day, it gives me that little extra push I need to stay active throughout my day - not just during my workout. I think in the past three years, there have only been a handful of days I haven't hit my 10,000 step target.

I think it's a big part of the reason I've been able to maintain my 66lb weight loss so easily over the past 2+ years.
  • peepsqueek
    peepsqueek Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit one and love it and find it worth the money :)
    It tracks my steps, stairs and how many calories burned. The Fitbit website is great and it also links with myfitnesspal I have been wearing mine for a year and a half and find it works great for what I need.
  • Raeskii
    Raeskii Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit. I have an office job and mine vibrates if I've been sitting too long. It reminds me to get a couple of steps in and helps calculate the intensity of my workouts.
  • Eabec
    Eabec Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I like my Fitbit Flex. Keeps me moving - I didn't realize how immobile I was. But, it's basically a glorified pedometer - and you need to be moving your arms for it to work. So, don't count on it to count calories burned exactly while doing much else than walking or running.
    My favorite part is the vibrating alarm. I wake much better than through a regular alarm clock.
  • zangrisr
    zangrisr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Bought a fit bit while in recovery for an ankle injury. I loved it for the first month (tracking my steps, sleep patterns, so forth). The Novelty wore off. It's a glorified pedometer with a pretty read out. If you are interested in tracking steps and progress- I'd recommend just getting a (cheaper) traditional pedometer. If you have a smart phone, there are free apps that can act as a pedometer, too. I still wear my fit bit since I bought it. But I don't think the added functionality is really worth the extra $$$ (I mean, the blinking dot system on the wrist is ultimately not very helpful, I still have to check my phone to see how many steps I've taken). Also, my friends don't have a fit bit, so I don't get any benefit from the "community" features either.
  • mtngrrl13
    mtngrrl13 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have had multiple knee surgeries, so I understand how you feel. I bought a fitbit because I thought it would help me be more active. While that is a little bit true, it was really eye-opening to me to see how FEW calories I burned throughout the day. It definitely keeps me mindful that I need to get out and walk more. If you're a numbers person, this might help.

There is another device that I'd be more interested in if it had a time display. I think it's jawbone that has a fitness tracker that vibrates if you haven't been active in a significant period of time.

**edit - I have the fitbit force (it's now been recalled)
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    What do you both want the Fitbit to do?
    [/quot

] I guess all I want out of the fitbit is motivation. Challenging myself to move more and to actually see something that shows what I do.
  • katierrt
    katierrt Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I was absolutely happy with mine for a little while, got it in January, but now its not calculating all of my steps. I'm very upset that it didn't last a year, especially for the cost. I have the fit bit one, its clip on. It used to track all my steps and also when I rode my stationary bike. It now only calculates about half of my steps and no bike movement. :(
  • bsalvato
    bsalvato Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit. I have an office job and mine vibrates if I've been sitting too long. It reminds me to get a couple of steps in and helps calculate the intensity of my workouts.

The Jawbone UP does this, not Fitbit, although it would be awesome if the Fitbit did.
  • weavernv
    weavernv Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit. I wear it all the time. I didn't realize how little I actually moved until I started wearing mine a couple of years ago. I upgraded to the one recently to get the newer features and it's great. I highly recommend it.
  • rrlwelter
    rrlwelter Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've had the Fitbit Ultra for 2 years now (which is why probably none of you have ever heard of it).

I use it as a motivator to keep me moving at work.
    I use my Polar HRM to track an accurate calorie burn/exertion rate.
    I use either endomondo or mapmyrun gps apps to track actual workout mileage (one issue with ANY pedometer, and that includes fitbit, is that it tracks steps. If you are like most people, your stride, or step length varies depending on speed and intensity. Therefore, the estimate of mileage it provides is not all that accurate).

I'd hate to give up any of the 3, because each one provides another leg to my stool of staying healthy. For you, decide just exactly what you want it to do for you, and then go with the method that will get you what you're looking for.
  • rebalee8
    rebalee8 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have found my Fitbit One to be totally worth it.

However, if you don't care about monitoring sleep, you could go with the Fitbit Zip which is only $60.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I got the $50 Fitbit Zip to see how I like it and I do LOVE it. It automatically syncs and adjusts my calories for the day which is motivation to MOVE instead of sitting. It tracks only walking/running, but that's enough for me to get in some extra steps each day.