Fitbit $100. is it worth it?

Options

Replies

• Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit ... I has a Flex first ... didn't like it. Now have a Force and love it. Does it motivate me .. no, but I am a fitness guy .. so don't need motivation.

I like that my MFP stats are synced with the Fitbit site .. but ******** hate then the Fitbit gives me extra exercise calories.
  • eightpock
    eightpock Posts: 61
    Options
    Yes
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I might as well chime in.

I have a One and I love it. It is motivating for me and works with the kind of exercise I was already doing (Wii Zumba).

My sister has one, but decided to stop using it. It didn't work for some of the types of exercise she tries to do and didn't indicate the level of effort that she felt she put in for others. I think that she found it discouraging when she felt she'd been quite active and it still showed that she hadn't met her step or activity goals. She wanted something that wasn't step based since she really needs to do forms of exercise that the FitBit doesn't track. (She has some nerve damage in one leg from a botched back surgery.)

Before I got my One, I used a smart phone app called Moves for a while. It wasn't terribly accurate (and I couldn't use it when doing Wii Zumba because I didn't have a pocket that would hold my phone securely) but it did serve the purpose of letting me try something like an activity tracker without spending the money for one. So, that is what I'd recommend, if you have a smart phone. Start using one or more apps on it - Moves, Runtastic, Map My Walk - and see if tracking your activity that way works for you. If it does, then you can justify spending the money to get an activity tracker like the FitBit.
  • Asheea
    Asheea Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I got the $50 Fitbit Zip to see how I like it and I do LOVE it. It automatically syncs and adjusts my calories for the day which is motivation to MOVE instead of sitting. It tracks only walking/running, but that's enough for me to get in some extra steps each day.

Ditto! I love my Zip and it's so easy to read how many steps I've taken. It really has made me move more and challenged me to up my steps a day. Sure, I'd like the One but I'm not interested in sleep tracking and I don't do steps but once a week at church. So the Zip is great for me and cheaper of all of them.
  • CheeksBryant
    CheeksBryant Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    It seems as though what you are wanting to use it for would be to get more active by walking. I got mine this past Christmas. I have the fitbit flex and a polar FT4 HRM. I wear my Fitbit 24/6 lol, I charge it on Sundays! I love that I can see my progress all day, that way I can get my butt moving if I haven't been very mobile. I love the vibrating alarm and so does my husband! we wake at different times, so this keeps me from waking him! I us my Polar FT4 when I do any kind of workout whether it be, cardio, weights or a long walk. That's just me, I want to be as precise as possible. MFP will adjust my fibit steps once I enter my 5k walk for the day. This way I;m not double counting calories burned. I love love both my gadgets the Fitbit flex and my Polar FT4 HRM....now the Fitibit aria scale is neat, but I think I could've done without it!
  • wpwarrior88
    wpwarrior88 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I bought a pre-loved Fitbit One in Nov with my Christmas money. Spent $65 on; for me it was and still is very much worth it! Customer Service has been top notch, I enjoy the morning greetings it sends me, I really like the fact that it has a silent alarm! I set it on my computer once and don't have to think about it! Even if I am not wearing it the vibration is enough to wake me. I like the fact that Walgreen's gives me points for the weekly steps I have taken. I like being able to monitor how many steps I have taken at any point during the day. Were it to quit, I would cry, call customer service and count down the days for my new one to arrive! It also syncs with my healthcare providers website and gives me credit for my daily steps without me having to enter the info again!

$100 is a lot of money, but if you are open to a pre-loved one shop eBay, Craigslist or your local papers. READ up on the advantages/disadvantages of each model, decided on the top $ you can/will spend and be patient, your deal will come around.
  • drummygurl
    drummygurl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit of a math/numbers geek. I've had my Flex for 6 months. I've lost 34 pounds in that time. I'm addicted to checking my stats now and I have a friend I work with that we compete every day. I also love the achievements (badges) you get for hitting certain goals.

I also love that a (different) co-worker scoffed at my 6 months ago, stating that you can't lose weight by just walking. She went out and bought one of those total body at home gym machines.

She's lost 3 pounds.

I've lost 34.

:wink:
  • CheeksBryant
    CheeksBryant Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Just a few tips if you do get a flex, get an extra "dongle" if you work that way you have one at home and work to sync. I also wanted the pink band to begin with but it got dirty really easily. So I ordered black and it's not as dirty
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I've worn one for 2 years now, it was my reward to myself for losing my first 20lbs and really don't think I'd have lost the next 90lbs as quickly without it keeping my deficit accurate on here. I recommend the FitBit One because it's unobtrusive and nice to use than the Zip (lights up, counts flights of stairs etc but I never use the sleep function).

I have the alarm function set up to vibrate discreetly 10 minutes before I'm due to leave work each day so I'm never out late anymore - time better spent walking etc than sat at my desk!

Put simply, I'd spend the money again without flinching if something happens to this one.
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit. I have an office job and mine vibrates if I've been sitting too long. It reminds me to get a couple of steps in and helps calculate the intensity of my workouts.

I don't know where I'd be without my Fitbit! It keeps me aware of my movement (or lack thereof) which is a prime motivator to get up and meet/exceed my 10,000 steps/day goal. In fact, it inspires me to get at least 5,000 steps in before I leave the house most days of the week. It is a huge reason why I've been able to be relatively comfortable in maintenance.

The Fitbit weekly reports with badges and awards for hitting benchmarks has also been very inspiring.

I really must figure out how to get my Fitbit One to vibrate when I sit too long... what a boost that would be!
  • jberry00595
    Options
    I had the original fitbit (which died because of the sweat issues that have been since resolved) and they replaced it with my (now) fitbit One. I've been tracking now for 2 years and love it.

-Some have mentioned no clock: the One does (although the wristband versions may not).
    -Some have mentioned that you have to move your arms, I don't and I'm betting that is the wristband version again.
    -Another person mentioned that it used to record when they were on a stationary bike... I am not sure about that honestly. I'm not a bike person. But it does record my treadmill steps. I'm not sure how but I've never had a problem with that. Maybe they too have the wristband and went from not moving their arms during their workout to not doing so?
    (I mean, the blinking dot system on the wrist is ultimately not very helpful, I still have to check my phone to see how many steps I've taken).

Again, must be a wristband thing. The One is awesome. I just push the button and it tells me steps, floors, calories, distance in miles, a little flower to see how active I've been (similar to that dot system I assume) and the time. Maybe you should try contacting customer service and seeing if you can trade. Or get the One and sell your current model on Ebay or something.
    Also, my friends don't have a fit bit, so I don't get any benefit from the "community" features either.

I only had one or two Facebook friends and no local buddies that had them. But then I opened myself up to adding MFP buddies as well! Might want to consider it. I like to keep my friends lists short and simple though so my Fitbit list is only about 10 people. But I keep my link in my profile in case anyone wants to add me.

Edit: Then I realize I accidentally posted under my husband's account. Mine is http://www.myfitnesspal.com//PayneAS
  • VCopple
    VCopple Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on what you're hoping to get out of it. Speaking personally, I've had a Fitbit of some type for the last two years and that in combination with MFP and my Fitbit Aria scale have definitely helped me on my journey. Seeing myself stacked up against my friends and family that also have Fitbits is excellent motivation and a reminder that I need to keep myself active or I drop to the bottom of the pile so to speak. It's also helped me get a better grasp on what my actual daily activity output is which in turn helps me with my daily caloric intake goals.

Bottom line, I definitely think it's worth the money but there are other's who maybe don't get the same feel for it or use it to it's full potential. It's all up to you.

^^^ This exactly. He said everything I wanted to say. The only difference is that I do not have the scale. I would like to get one though. Also, I made an appointment with a registered dietitian and we put together a plan for me to follow. I adjusted MFP to match the plan. It is working really well for me. I got all of the girls at work doing the Fitbit, so we motivate each other with it.
  • carolynjburrow
    carolynjburrow Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit flex...it keeps me moving and it syncs with mfp. Definitely worth the money.
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for over four years and I still love it. Can't imagine not having my Fitbit feedback. I got my family hooked too ( a couple of my kids, my parents, brothers and their wives). I did a blog post about its features ...

http://jenbsjourney.blogspot.com/2013/08/wondering-about-fitbit.html

The Fitbit connects with so many different companies and programs. Like here at MFP, and every reward website I'm aware of (Everymove, Earndit, Walgreens, FitStudio, Achievemint, PACT). Seriously, my Fitbit has paid for itself!
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    If you might get an iphone 5s any time soon, then no, because the phone will do it automatically. I would have waited if I hadn't gotten mine for "free" (work bonus points).

It isn't necessary in the least. I lost most of my weight without it, but it is useful and motivational IMO. I don't have to wonder what to count as exercise (shopping no, but lunchtime walk yes?). I definitely walk and take more steps since I got it, and I love not trying to walk/run a certain speed or turn on an app for proper tracking. I foresee enjoying it even after the newness wears off. One thing to keep in mind is that you only have to spend the $100 once. If you break it, wash it, or even lose it, the company will send you a new one with no questions asked.

It is also extremely helpful for someone who does bulk/cut cycles because NEAT tends to swing wildly with the fueling which can make figuring out calories very difficult if you don't take that into account.

ETA: I have the One which has a screen. I can check steps with my phone or looking right at it. It's also a second clock/watch which is nice. I wear it on my waistband in my hip crease or (if I'm wearing a dress) in the center of my bra.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Originally I thought it was worth it, and it was cool for about 2-3 weeks. Then it got bit boring.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all who replied. Looks like I am getting a fitbit next payday. Just have to decide what one.
    Cindy
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I have had my Zip for about a year now and I absolutely love it. I use the app to keep an eye on my calorie intake and burn as often as I check it on here. The weekly reports are also a good source of information for me as well. I also like that it automatically adjusts my net calorie goal on here. Sometimes seeing that is enough to motivate me to get up and move a little bit more.

As far as making friends on there go, I found some on here in the FitBit group and I also found a fairly active group on Facebook where I was able to make FitBit friends. The cheers that they send and watching my name climb up or down my leaderboard helps to motivate me too.
  • hlg1993
    hlg1993 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's worth it. Two of my friends and I bought them and were really dedicated with using them for about two weeks... now none of us even think to put it on.... I don't think they're that useful, and the motivation wore off fast.

Personally, myfitnesspal, scales, & measuring tape are what help me the most.
    Good luck!
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options