using your children as a profile pic?

Options

Replies

• MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    For the record, I am also not in favor of putting your kids pics up especially on the forums...not because I mind kids but because I think internet is not a safe place to do that.

One women trusted me enough to send me pics of her kids without my asking, and I told her not to do that again.....she got real offended.

The internet is safer than real life...

INORITE? I had a creepy old dude offer to buy my daughters. Another time, this lady offered to borrow my kids and put them to work in her yard for free. Normally strangers don't bother me, and I take it all with a grain of salt... but the lady was actually kind of criminal minds scary like.

I worry more about those kinds of people than someone who lives 3000K away.
    That said... I rarely post my kids pics in my profile pic anyways.

so you are saying:

i live in the internet and everyone who lives on the internet is 3000 miles from me.....

it dont work like that

She didn't say 3000 miles..

Regardless, you're missing the point.

yes.. point was missed entirely. and perhaps intentionally.

what I am saying is... I am aware that there is a huge risk to my children in real life, and that of all the risks to worry about, the ones I face daily with them by my side, or in my yard, or at the store, are greater than the risk that someone on the internet is going to see them and decide that the effort to seek me and my kids out, locate me, and then abuse my kids - when there are easier targets nearby, is lower.

Is it possible, yes. Which is why my profile is locked down and I rarely post their faces. Plus I don't have my home town - only my province listed.

But the risk of harm coming to them as a result of a 2x2 pic is way lower than the day to day risk of the nasties that watch in the community.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,297 Member
    Options
    One time I woke up and both my legs were shaved....
  • MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    It bothers me only in the sense that it frightens me how much people lose their sense of self when they have kids.
  • gunshowgreg
    gunshowgreg Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Why are people so passionate about this?
    If anyone is need of a hobby, please feel free to pm me and I will suggest some at random for you.

don't need hobbies this is my Fitness Pal it's fun for adults and kids!
  • NormInv
    Options
    It bothers me only in the sense that it frightens me how much people lose their sense of self when they have kids.

Says Mrs Lannister.....
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

perhaps...

or...
    perhaps their sense of self begins to grow and ends up extending way beyond their initial inward focus... and they realize that they're shaping the lives of these amazing little people... future citizens, scientists, world changers... and all of a sudden all of their personal wants and needs are no longer quite as important.

then again... maybe they're just time suckers. lol

lil bit of column a, lil bit of column b?
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

...Personally, I never ever post pictures of my kids anywhere online. There are too many cracker jacks out there.

:drinker: I'd rather give the kids a little privacy until they are old enough to decide what pics they want plastered all over the internet. If other people want to do it, whatever. Not my business.
  • MrsLannister
    Options

Says Mrs Lannister.....
    Being a proud nerd isn't losing my sense of self, just the opposite.
  • rlynnehawk
    rlynnehawk Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I sometimes use fruit as a picture...It motivates me. If someones child motivates them to live healthier...so what? Do you not have some more weights to lift, and stop worrying about other peoples passions...GET A LIFE!
  • iAmWrythm
    iAmWrythm Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The best answer to this question is, why on Earth does it bother you? Shouldn't you have other things to worry about?
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    First amendment, folks.

No. It's actually not a 1st Amendment issue or even a1st amendment violation. Not unless the government is involved in this discussion. The 1st Amendment is to prevent tyranny from the government against your free speech rights. It isn't a 1st Amendment free speech violation when the government isn't involved.
  • NormInv
    Options

Says Mrs Lannister.....

I was referring to Cersei making a move on her offspring this one time in band camp
  • MrsLannister
    Options

Says Mrs Lannister.....

I was referring to Cersei making a move on her offspring this one time in band camp

Ah, But Cersei isn't Mrs Lannister, she's Mrs Baratheon.
  • DOM4U
    DOM4U Posts: 239
    Options
    okay this topic might get a little heated and debated and I might even offend some people and make angry at me but I really don't care and I'm sure I'm coming off as a *kitten* but I'm really not.I just have to know if I'm the only one that gets a little irritated when someone uses their children as a profile pic? I mean its not you its your children so why is your child's face being used as a main

AMEN PREACH BROTHER!
  • NormInv
    Options

Says Mrs Lannister.....

Ah, But Cersei isn't Mrs Lannister, she's Mrs Baratheon.

BOOM

chuckpunch1.gif
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. Parents should not wrap their whole identity up in their child.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    <
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    Level Four.
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I understand where your coming from since this site is also kinda a dating site/friend site.. It's also a site that causes a lot of issues in marriages..

My question is why are you honestly here? I feel the people who use children as their main pic as that is their motivation to exercise and get healthy. I see nothing wrong with it, but for those that want to see the woman and or man's personal body/progress right away have other ideas in their head.
  • OnlyMissy
    OnlyMissy Posts: 122
    Options
    different strokes for different folks. It don't bother me personally... because I could careless, but if it bothers you, hey! that's alright too. We all have things that annoy us that may not annoy someone else. We're all entitled to our opinions and quirks! lol