"You're beautiful, you don't need to watch calories."

Options
12345679»

Replies

• inky16
    inky16 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Ok, I didn't read through all 7 pages of this, but I've got to add my 2 cents in...

When people tell you "You're beautiful, you don't need to watch calories," it's not really about you. It's not degrading, it's not telling you that you should be unhealthy or fat... Having been someone who, in the past, would have said something just like this... I can tell you it comes from two places.

First, it's a compliment. Genuine, envious, whatever... it's still a compliment and should be answered with a polite (not snarky or sarcastic) "thank you."

Second, it's coming from a place of pain, a place of self-deprecation, and a place of fear. Like someone else mentioned, you'll notice these comments come from the overweight, or those who see themselves as overweight. They probably come across as condescending and self-righteous, because deep down they feel the exact opposite.

So however you choose to respond, be kind and encouraging. As my mama said, don't fight fire with fire. Spread a little love. :flowerforyou:
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Love your analogy and I completely agree.

People tell me I don't need to watch what I eat or exercise so much because I "look great".........no, I look great because I DO those things. If I DIDN'T, I wouldn't look great.

+1 :smile: