Why does my Nutritionist hate that I eat Pork rinds??

Options
1235»

Replies

• dsalveson
    dsalveson Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Pork Rinds have no nutritional value why do you want to eat empty calories? Plus they are highly processed which is not good either.

Waited three years for that strong first post I see
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    So, you had a a surgery, have health concerns, are monitored by a team of drs, nutrtionists etc, and you are asking for validation from internet strangers that ignoring the advice your team is giving you is the right thing to do? Why? If you doubt the validity of what they are telling you, why aren't you looking for a different nutritionist, different dr etc?
    You will find here all types of posters, from the ones who are healthy themselves and can share their personal experience, to ones whose diet is causing their own health to suffer, from drs to people being impressed by every new fad diet, from people advocating eating everything to others praising the benefits of a fat only or banana only or raspberries only diet. How does taking the average opinion of all of us, the good, the bad and the simply crazy, will help you? Especially since none of us knows your medical history or understands what extra restrictions it means?

***I am asking no validation from no one. My initial question was, Why does my Nutritionist hate that I eat Pork rinds? I got many different types of answers, in which no answer/reply left me angry or upset at no one. Life is too short for that. From that simple posting, most people assume that I eat pork rinds on a daily basis, which I do not. What I was basing it on...was animal fat vs. plant fat....if peanut butter is in the category as a plant fat...as it is the product of a plant. Simply....calorie content in peanut butter or calorie content in pork rinds. Carbs too. Since I count all of that in my diet.

To clear things up...I'm a pretty healthy person. I have pork rinds 1x a week and ONLY if I have met all my other protein requirements for the day. Except for this one food product, I eat pretty clean, making all my own food including my own Greek yogurt, I never eat out at fast food places, I like to know what goes into my food and how it's prepared, ( don't get me started on McDonalds food, that should not be consumed by anyone). I eat chicken and beef that are solely organic, I have access through family for some awesome meats. Even though other pork was awesome, I simply cannot digest any chops or anything like that. Bacon is ok...everything in moderation.

Since losing close to 217lbs, my BP has gone very low, in which I need that salt to bring it back up, and yes I have dumped salt into my hand, licked it and washed it down with warm water to get it into my system faster, I'd rather do that than pass out. Per my PCP, that is fine. I"m a believer that we all need fats in our diet....just in moderation. So, I"m not asking if it's ok to eat it. I am accountable for everything I eat.

If the question is why your nutritionist does not want you to eat something, the obvious answer is to ask him/her. The answer might be completely different from what you expect.
    You are asking strangers to guess why someone they do not know is giving you advice based on a medical history people here do not know. This does not make sense. You will get advice based on calories, or macros, based on each poster's experience and goals and beliefs about nutrition. This might end up telling you that 10% of posters hate meat, 10% love pork, 15% believe they are better qualified to give you advice over then internet than any dr or nutritionist, and so on. How does this help you?
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I believe it's already been mentioned that the nutirtionist didn't actually know why they thought it was bad - which to me would be 'fire the nutritionist' time :).
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options

^^^ this, because I was under the impression that animal flesh and organ meat (skin is an organ) contained all 8 amino acids. Also, I'm not sure why skin protein would not be bioavailable.

I just looked up the nutritional info on a British brand of pork scratchings (the British name for this) and it's 48g protein per 100g... that's a lot of protein. 45.7g fat though and 607 calories.......... would be good for those guys who find it hard to eat enough calories to gain weight. Maybe the British ones are prepared/cooked differently as this isn't a low calorie density food by a long shot............ BUT if you're not Muslim or Jewish and they fit your macros then no reason not to eat them....

personally I hate them. participating in this thread is for academic discussion only.

re: skin - while it may be an organ,it is my understanding unlike other organs it is made up of a lot of collagen.

And just to be clear I am as in the dark about anyone on this subject - I really want to know for myself.

I LOVE pork rinds - and eat them regardless of anything I have said here - but the only macro I track is protein, and if I eat pork rinds I eat a lot - so Im just curious how much they could potentially throw off protein macros.

I started wondering because many of the bags (in Canada at least) actually come labelled "Not a significant source of protein". Now does this mean that the company is covering it's *kitten* so people don't try to use them as their sole protein source? Or is it because of an especially poor amino profile?

Or is it an issue of bioavailability? While the proportion of amino acids is likely the most important determinant of protein quality (not great in pork rinds), bioavailablity is the second more important, and that can be effected by things like protein configuration and amino acid bonding.... and really that is above my head LOL

I found a couple potentially enlightening studies, but they were both from the Journal of Agriculture and Food Science - which I am not willing to pay for :laugh:

Someone posted the amino acid breakdown of pork rinds here: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/snacks/5362/2 And while that was enough for them to be happy with the protein, it was a red flag to me. From that link Pork Rinds are great sources of Glycine, Proline and Glutamic Acid...non essential AA. Essential AA like isoleucine, Histidine, Methionine, Tryptophan are really lacking. Then a couple of the other essential amino acids aren't that impressive either.

I am not drawing any conclusions from this btw - just find it interesting and am really wondering about it.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I don't know, I suggest you ask your nutritionist why she objects to them.
  • GypsygalWI
    GypsygalWI Posts: 27
    Options
    GypsygalWI thanks for this topic. I love pork rinds! I had no idea they made ones that went into the microwave. So thanks for the link! I'm going to order some.

Your welcome, enjoy! They taste so much better when they come out of the microwave still crackling and hot...mind your tongue when you eat them, they do "bite" back. You'll see. :) lol

Not all fat is bad for you...in moderation.
  • GypsygalWI
    GypsygalWI Posts: 27
    Options
    I believe it's already been mentioned that the nutirtionist didn't actually know why they thought it was bad - which to me would be 'fire the nutritionist' time :).

My nutritionist and I butt heads all the time. She is like...."eat more sugar free foods and drinks"....well I do. Just not ones laden with artificial sweeteners. I like Stevia...which is derived from a plant....What i can't do are the foods which contain and sugar alcohols...malitol, sorbito, xylitol, maltilol...in which all her sugar free foods contain. I like foods that are good for me, and not make me sick,and there are not many of those. She will be gone soon....when my follow ups are done for the program i'm in. I will still argue with her about pork rinds, just to get her to think about them. Mean of me, but if she can't give me a straight answer and not a biased one, then she needs to do more research. I have done mine.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Problem is that an awful lot of people dismiss "artificial sweeteners" as bad and "derived from a plant" as good without any real evidence that is the case.

If these products do cause your actual physical problems and you are still told to them, then I'd be going to the line manager or whoever pays them and suggesting they don't :).
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Pork Rinds have no nutritional value why do you want to eat empty calories? Plus they are highly processed which is not good either.

because they are delicious, no carbs and my life without pork rinds would suck but I'm not the OP so who knows her reasons
  • emmaleamclaren
    Options
    Potentially because pork is one of the hardest meats to digest?

"Nutritionists and vegetarians have debated whether humans were biologically designed to eat meat. Regardless, humans have one of the most meat-heavy diets in the animal kingdom. And of the meats we consume, pork is one of the most difficult to digest. Pork takes approximately four and a half to five hours to digest. What's important to note about foods that take a significantly longer time to digest than others is that any easily digestible foods are held in the stomach until the slowest digesting foods are released. During this lay time, fruit, vegetables, and other fast-digesting foods begin to ferment—producing gas, acid, and indigestion." http://www.qualityhealth.com/eating-nutrition-articles/5-hardest-foods-digest