How do you feel about fat pride?

Options

Replies

• sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options

Was staying out of it until the statement about soldiers offing themselves being weak.

Just like you were/are in the military and take offense to certain statements, I work in suicide prevention, specifically with soldiers, and I take offense to your ignorant statement.
    Far from ignorant and quite informed, suicide prevention is part of our trainning (quarterly) when active duty. I made it clear that it was in my oppinion. You can like my oppinion or lump it, it matters not to me but back up when you call me something like ignorant. I am ignorant of a lot of things. I have been suicidal myself. Yes I can still be that callous after that. Because I learned that when you kill yourself you kill your family your friends and every wonderful memory you where involved in. So yes I call it weak minded, because I have been there and done that. Those soldiers are a damn site stronger thay you obviously give them credit for. So take your label/ accusation of ignorance and shove it! (Now I'm angry)

I personally think that suicide and suicide prevention are also very worthy topics, they happen to be close to my heart, but what the heck do they have to do with fat acceptance? I think we are in full thread derail mode at this point.

The topic got derailed a long time ago when wars were brought up :laugh:

War is the continuation of fat acceptance by other means

You're funny :flowerforyou:

And I see people are trying to get it back on track:grumble:

So I will let it continue on..

Fat acceptance, blah blah, body love, yadda yadda, pride and hoohaa.. image and shaming
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    How do I feel about it? I feel that it doesn't matter how I feel about it. It's not my job to legislate how other people feel about themselves or determine whether they have a right to feel that way. And I certainly can't muster enough arrogance to assume that, by merely taking a glimpse at someone else's physique, I can KNOW beyond a shadow of a doubt whether that person is really happy or takes pride in him/herself. I know this may be a shocker, but I'm pretty sure some people can be happy and overweight because their physical appearance isn't the key marker they use to judge their own worth.

Your own self-image is your own business...and people who think they have a right to comment on it when not expressly invited to do so are sadly deluded.

I will say this, though. Fat is not "disgusting" or some of the other choice judgment-charged words that have been thrown around in this thread. Fat is a substance that the body produces, and the body needs a certain amount for its own survival. You may not personally care for the aesthetics of a body that has more than is needed. Everyone is entitled to his or her own personal preferences. But your preference does not give you the right to try to make it into a moral issue or to pontificate about it as if you are the governing moral authority over someone else's body -- especially if you don't know for sure what all the contributing factors to that weight gain were or what efforts that person may be making.

As for paying for someone else's health: if you participate in an insurance system, you understand that it is a pool, comprised of all users regardless of their individual personal choices. Almost everyone has bad habits that can negatively impact health (even if it's speeding, or running too much, or making ill-advised comments about others' physical features that result in the speaker getting punched). Often, the obese already pay higher premiums, as do many who are judged to have "less healthy" lifestyles.

If you buy a ticket with a passenger airline, well...you and your fellow passengers all pay for that flight together because it's much cheaper than buying and maintaining your own private jet. In some cases, the person who can't fit into the ever-narrowing airline seat is forced to buy a second seat. If not...oh well. On planes, I've had to sit next to people who were not overweight but had no concept of personal space -- arms and elbows everywhere, people's heads practically in my lap. I've had to sit next to people who had body odor or wore way too much perfume. And it takes far less time and effort for those folks to keep their arms to themselves, keep their seats in the upright position, and take a shower than it takes for a person to lose weight even when s/he is making an effort to do so.

If someone else wants to embrace his/her weight and say "I don't want to change," so what?! It's none of my business -- just like it's not my business to try to deflate the ego of some guy spending his time on a forum talking about his clothes, his 28" waist, his self-flirtation in the mirror, and his belief that his physique rivals Michelangelo's David. His self-opinion may not match my opinion of him, but if he wants to love himself a lot as he is, it's not my job to point out what I perceive as personal deficiencies in order to try to make his self-opinion match mine. I say, let him love himself. His self-esteem is not a threat to me.

Very few people need help hating themselves. A lot of people need help loving themselves, though. Being helpful is not tearing others down, but is, instead, pointing out those things in others that are valuable and lovable. Focus on those things you can respect and admire in them, and make sure they see them, too. If you can't see those things just because they are fat, then I respectfully submit that their weight isn't the real problem.

That was amazing. What a beautiful heart you must have.
  • daviddjhonna
    Options
    You got the callous part, when I get angry I do become callous. I admit it, but I said weak minded not calling them weak. Huge difference. All of us have a weak thought at some point. To continue that though is to act weak minded. Soldiers have already proven that, that type of thought process is not the normal state of mind for them. Hence weak minded. And that is where you put words in my mouth. But enough with you I am getting back on topic.
  • daviddjhonna
    Options
    How do I feel about it? I feel that it doesn't matter how I feel about it. It's not my job to legislate how other people feel about themselves or determine whether they have a right to feel that way. And I certainly can't muster enough arrogance to assume that, by merely taking a glimpse at someone else's physique, I can KNOW beyond a shadow of a doubt whether that person is really happy or takes pride in him/herself. I know this may be a shocker, but I'm pretty sure some people can be happy and overweight because their physical appearance isn't the key marker they use to judge their own worth.

Your own self-image is your own business...and people who think they have a right to comment on it when not expressly invited to do so are sadly deluded.

I will say this, though. Fat is not "disgusting" or some of the other choice judgment-charged words that have been thrown around in this thread. Fat is a substance that the body produces, and the body needs a certain amount for its own survival. You may not personally care for the aesthetics of a body that has more than is needed. Everyone is entitled to his or her own personal preferences. But your preference does not give you the right to try to make it into a moral issue or to pontificate about it as if you are the governing moral authority over someone else's body -- especially if you don't know for sure what all the contributing factors to that weight gain were or what efforts that person may be making.

As for paying for someone else's health: if you participate in an insurance system, you understand that it is a pool, comprised of all users regardless of their individual personal choices. Almost everyone has bad habits that can negatively impact health (even if it's speeding, or running too much, or making ill-advised comments about others' physical features that result in the speaker getting punched). Often, the obese already pay higher premiums, as do many who are judged to have "less healthy" lifestyles.

If you buy a ticket with a passenger airline, well...you and your fellow passengers all pay for that flight together because it's much cheaper than buying and maintaining your own private jet. In some cases, the person who can't fit into the ever-narrowing airline seat is forced to buy a second seat. If not...oh well. On planes, I've had to sit next to people who were not overweight but had no concept of personal space -- arms and elbows everywhere, people's heads practically in my lap. I've had to sit next to people who had body odor or wore way too much perfume. And it takes far less time and effort for those folks to keep their arms to themselves, keep their seats in the upright position, and take a shower than it takes for a person to lose weight even when s/he is making an effort to do so.

If someone else wants to embrace his/her weight and say "I don't want to change," so what?! It's none of my business -- just like it's not my business to try to deflate the ego of some guy spending his time on a forum talking about his clothes, his 28" waist, his self-flirtation in the mirror, and his belief that his physique rivals Michelangelo's David. His self-opinion may not match my opinion of him, but if he wants to love himself a lot as he is, it's not my job to point out what I perceive as personal deficiencies in order to try to make his self-opinion match mine. I say, let him love himself. His self-esteem is not a threat to me.

Very few people need help hating themselves. A lot of people need help loving themselves, though. Being helpful is not tearing others down, but is, instead, pointing out those things in others that are valuable and lovable. Focus on those things you can respect and admire in them, and make sure they see them, too. If you can't see those things just because they are fat, then I respectfully submit that their weight isn't the real problem.

That was amazing. What a beautiful heart you must have.
    WOW how did I miss this.:noway: :happy:
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options

Was staying out of it until the statement about soldiers offing themselves being weak.

Just like you were/are in the military and take offense to certain statements, I work in suicide prevention, specifically with soldiers, and I take offense to your ignorant statement.
    Far from ignorant and quite informed, suicide prevention is part of our trainning (quarterly) when active duty. I made it clear that it was in my oppinion. You can like my oppinion or lump it, it matters not to me but back up when you call me something like ignorant. I am ignorant of a lot of things. I have been suicidal myself. Yes I can still be that callous after that. Because I learned that when you kill yourself you kill your family your friends and every wonderful memory you where involved in. So yes I call it weak minded, because I have been there and done that. Those soldiers are a damn site stronger thay you obviously give them credit for. So take your label/ accusation of ignorance and shove it! (Now I'm angry)

I personally think that suicide and suicide prevention are also very worthy topics, they happen to be close to my heart, but what the heck do they have to do with fat acceptance? I think we are in full thread derail mode at this point.

^yeah what the smarter guy said!

@ribqah -
    1st off brah ... I'm a diehard libertarian - I'm not promoting legislating anything lolzzz

2nd.. Obesity is repulsive bro?! smells bad, its unhealthy, it looks disgusting... I'm blunt about hating it because I hate it.. its absolutely nasty.. the individual that is in a cycle of pain and hurt living like that? - I feel empathy for them!

"If someone else wants to embrace his/her weight and say "I don't want to change," so what?! It's none of my business -- just like it's not my business to try to deflate the ego of some guy spending his time on a forum talking about his clothes, his 28" waist, his self-flirtation in the mirror, and his belief that his physique rivals Michelangelo's David. His self-opinion may not match my opinion of him, but if he wants to love himself a lot as he is, it's not my job to point out what I perceive as personal deficiencies in order to try to make his self-opinion match mine. I say, let him love himself. His self-esteem is not a threat to me. "

:frown:
    you don't think I could be the next rival to Michelangelo's David?

- LOLZ I'm just flattered you listened to me ramble on about my love for myself.

:drinker:

Read on I'm sure your in for more treats! :wink:
  • daviddjhonna
    Options
    Confidence is a beautiful thing regardless of your physical appearance. It's attractive and sexy. I believe everyone is beautiful regardless of downfalls they believe they have. Find what works for you and you should have confidence in yourself.

Keep in mind, I am not calling people overweight unhealthy, although over time there will be affects. I understand health may not be a priority for most people. Although, an overweight person carrying 2 or 3 times normal body weight is going to have degeneration in knee joints. The joints are not made to withstand that much weight over extended periods of time. With meniscus and bursa sacks breaking down over time eventually you will have bone on bone. Horrible pain at the age of 50. This is no way for anyone to live their life. On pain meds which will in turn affect liver and other vital organs. Eventually the body will break down. And the quality of life decreases. Pain is not something I wish on anyone. There is no reason someone should have to suffer performing normal day to day activities. Just my opinion.
    You have a point, confidence is sexy and attractive. Its not that women love the bad boys, they love the confidence they exude. :blushing:
  • MrTolerable
    Options
    Confidence is a beautiful thing regardless of your physical appearance. It's attractive and sexy. I believe everyone is beautiful regardless of downfalls they believe they have. Find what works for you and you should have confidence in yourself.

Keep in mind, I am not calling people overweight unhealthy, although over time there will be affects. I understand health may not be a priority for most people. Although, an overweight person carrying 2 or 3 times normal body weight is going to have degeneration in knee joints. The joints are not made to withstand that much weight over extended periods of time. With meniscus and bursa sacks breaking down over time eventually you will have bone on bone. Horrible pain at the age of 50. This is no way for anyone to live their life. On pain meds which will in turn affect liver and other vital organs. Eventually the body will break down. And the quality of life decreases. Pain is not something I wish on anyone. There is no reason someone should have to suffer performing normal day to day activities. Just my opinion.
    You have a point, confidence is sexy and attractive. Its not that women love the bad boys, they love the confidence they exude. :blushing:

Yeah I absolutely love when a lady is confident...

#notgannalie
  • daviddjhonna
    Options

@ribqah -
    1st off brah ... I'm a diehard libertarian - I'm not promoting legislating anything lolzzz

2nd.. Obesity is repulsive bro?! smells bad, its unhealthy, it looks disgusting... I'm blunt about hating it because I hate it.. its absolutely nasty.. the individual that is in a cycle of pain and hurt living like that? - I feel empathy for them!

"If someone else wants to embrace his/her weight and say "I don't want to change," so what?! It's none of my business -- just like it's not my business to try to deflate the ego of some guy spending his time on a forum talking about his clothes, his 28" waist, his self-flirtation in the mirror, and his belief that his physique rivals Michelangelo's David. His self-opinion may not match my opinion of him, but if he wants to love himself a lot as he is, it's not my job to point out what I perceive as personal deficiencies in order to try to make his self-opinion match mine. I say, let him love himself. His self-esteem is not a threat to me. "

- LOLZ I'm just flattered you listened to me ramble on about my love for myself.

I feel almost like you should be grounded for life or something...I'm speechless. :noway:
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    You got the callous part, when I get angry I do become callous. I admit it, but I said weak minded not calling them weak. Huge difference. All of us have a weak thought at some point. To continue that though is to act weak minded. Soldiers have already proven that, that type of thought process is not the normal state of mind for them. Hence weak minded. And that is where you put words in my mouth. But enough with you I am getting back on topic.

Yea...just like how I called your statement ignorant and you flew off the handle and took that to mean that I called YOU ignorant.

If you really want to play semantics.:flowerforyou:

Have fun getting back on topic.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

This, too. And you're right, confidence at any size is sexy.
  • MrTolerable
    Options

@ribqah -

I feel almost like you should be grounded for life or something...I'm speechless. :noway:

IDK..about being grounded..

now if you would have said spanked... :love:
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

Don't mind him - he's still trying to learn how to be a decent human being.
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the 16 pages.. but this is what jumped out at me in the story:

"Fat acceptance is the radical notion that fat people are human beings and deserve respect,"

WHY is this so radical?

That is sad that seeing fat people as human beings that deserve respect is considered "radical". :frown:
  • MrTolerable
    Options

"Fat acceptance is the radical notion that fat people are human beings and deserve respect,"

WHY is this so radical?

That is sad that seeing fat people as human beings that deserve respect is considered "radical". :frown:
    no one I think would argue with you on that.

@TheVirgoddess: i'm trying!:flowerforyou:
  • daviddjhonna
    Options
    IDK..about being grounded..

now if you would have said spanked... :love:
    :noway: You have got to be kidding me.......:laugh: Now how am I supposed to stay on topic. I cant stop laughing.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

WHY is this so radical?

Because people are interpreting it as "proud of being fat" rather than "not letting the label fat define you".
  • daviddjhonna
    Options

WHY is this so radical?

no one I think would argue with you on that.

@TheVirgoddess: i'm trying!:flowerforyou:
    No, someone is bound to have an opposing opinion about it. :laugh:
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options

WHY is this so radical?

Because people are interpreting it as "proud of being fat" rather than "not letting the label fat define you".

what is wrong with someone who feels proud of their body & its fat? why is it okay for other body types to be proud of their body but not fat people of their fattness? all this concern trolling health stuff is old and tired ...people need to allow others to love themselves as they are not constantly screaming "you can like you but you need to change you to really like you " .

society : be yourself
    society: no not like that
  • daviddjhonna
    Options

WHY is this so radical?

what is wrong with someone who feels proud of their body & its fat? why is it okay for other body types to be proud of their body but not fat people of their fattness? all this concern trolling health stuff is old and tired ...people need to allow others to love themselves as they are not constantly screaming "you can like you but you need to change you to really like you " .

You just gave me an ahah momment. Until you pointed it out (society: be yourself, Society: no not like that) , I just accepted the push and shove like the rest of the masses. So twisted.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

WHY is this so radical?

I didn't say that reflected my opinion - I was saying that's what was going on in this thread.

If you read any of my posts in this forum, you'll see I'm firmly in the "be exactly who you are and rock the crap out of it" camp.