How do you feel about fat pride?

Options

Replies

• MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options

You know, as a retired Veteran I resent that statement. Because if it wherent for the Department of Defense and all of us military past and present you whould have the rights you have today to say that mess.

You're assigning meaning to my words that just aren't true. My lack of support of the DoD is not a reflection of my feelings about our military, or my support of them as individuals.

Our military budget is three times that of the budget of the next country - and more than the next 8 countries COMBINED. And after all that money we are FAILING our veterans horribly. The money being spent is not going where it should (to the VA hospitals, to support the men and women coming home and experiencing PTSD, to help our military acclimate back into civilian life).

Am I really supposed to want to support an organization that rips lives apart and doesn't help put them back together? No, I won't.

That does not mean, however, that I do not support our troops, past and present.

I'm sorry if my words and opinions offend you, but but I take serious issue with how our vets are treated and how badly the DoD fails them.

^Barnie Sanders & Dennis Kucinich just said that.. the real epidemic is our soldiers offing themselves soo much.. we need to bring them home.

Obama is Bushlite.. #dafaqwegointolibyaforbra?
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

^yeah.. but ppl's bad decisions being subsidized by others is still wrong.. very wrong for the market.. individuals keeping their money are much more efficient at using it then a bureaucrat... the utility and velocity of money moves efficient period.

one of my degrees was in economics :smokin:

Says the former drug addict.

People need help all the time for different things. A lot of those things are direct results of bad decisions - that doesn't make them less worthy of the help.

I'd rather pay for medical care for an obese person than funnel another billion dollars into the DoD.
    You know, as a retired Veteran I resent that statement. Because if it wherent for the Department of Defense and all of us military past and present you whould have the rights you have today to say that mess.

I think we all LOVE the Vets - I Love them enough not to put them in harms way over needless campaigns and being a global police man...

#letsworryaboutourbordersbeforeworryingaboutpakistans

- and I'm also for totally open borders and totally free trade.

Economics :smokin: you sound like a crackpot in today's times till you get into the roots..

@SunofaBeach14 - I'm trying to avoid an argument.. it would take too long to explain and the issue isn't going to remotely change your idea most likely so its not worth the effort.. and frankly its not even a concern of mine - I'd much rather have these wars end and loose that argument about wasting money in America then wasting it over sea's blowing up bridges in Iraq and then rebuilding them.. and then blowing them up again.. and then rebuilding them.

Oh. It's on to wars now. Okay. From fat acceptance to social support to economics to war. Even Clausewitz would be confused.

I like the IRAC approach to argumentative writing: Issue, Rule, Analysis, Conclusion. It helps keep things somewhat tidy and clear.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

Old habits die hard... that goes for both my response and how the DOD operates. I still work for the Department of the Navy, only as a civilian, as such I seem to have an undying loyalty. Despite how bad the Navy has injured me. I will never do what I was trained to do again. Not by choice but by medical hapinstance. It doesnt help that I dont look ill when people see me. That all asside, yes they could do a damn site better than they are now. But surprisingly, we veterans are rather patient and wait patiently for individuals like yourself to fix it. We did one job and now we wait for the rest of the US to meet us half way.

I understand. I hope you realize that my anger comes from a place of respect and support of our military.
  • MrTolerable
    Options

^yeah.. but ppl's bad decisions being subsidized by others is still wrong.. very wrong for the market.. individuals keeping their money are much more efficient at using it then a bureaucrat... the utility and velocity of money moves efficient period.

People need help all the time for different things. A lot of those things are direct results of bad decisions - that doesn't make them less worthy of the help.

I'd rather pay for medical care for an obese person than funnel another billion dollars into the DoD.

I think we all LOVE the Vets - I Love them enough not to put them in harms way over needless campaigns and being a global police man...

Economics :smokin: you sound like a crackpot in today's times till you get into the roots..
    As I had to learn the hard way.. Freedom isnt Free... there are way more twists and turns to how these campaigns begin and end up than you or I could ever decipher. Being a global police man is the small part of the job believe it or not. I will just say this, I paid with my health for what we have and I dont regret it or want to exchange it. I just want others to appreciate what they have and be thankful for those who gave even more than I to get it.

There is blowback and an increased risk of terrorism with us trotting around the globe acting like we are the big brother to all other countries..its nuts, it doesn't work, our founders warned us about this.. ..soldiers are making sacrifices I know and I appreciate it, and I have friends & family that serve and make those sacrifices - but they are not defending America's national security - the only time we should EVER go to war is when there is a war resolution created by congress (not the president saying.. 'hey I think Syria needs to be punished' or 'lets go invade libya because...well no reason needed there general public' ...

@sunofabeach14 - 5 years getting that degree.. countless papers and text read - I'm not going to even delve into it - I believe in the Austrian School Economics - you can be a Keynesian - I disagree respectfully but I'm not going to waist my time arguing about it because this just isn't the place for it.. its very very complicated, and variables are many and inconsistent.
  • daviddjhonna
    Options

You're assigning meaning to my words that just aren't true. My lack of support of the DoD is not a reflection of my feelings about our military, or my support of them as individuals.

Our military budget is three times that of the budget of the next country - and more than the next 8 countries COMBINED. And after all that money we are FAILING our veterans horribly. The money being spent is not going where it should (to the VA hospitals, to support the men and women coming home and experiencing PTSD, to help our military acclimate back into civilian life).

Am I really supposed to want to support an organization that rips lives apart and doesn't help put them back together? No, I won't.

That does not mean, however, that I do not support our troops, past and present.

I'm sorry if my words and opinions offend you, but but I take serious issue with how our vets are treated and how badly the DoD fails them.

^Barnie Sanders & Dennis Kucinich just said that.. the real epidemic is our soldiers offing themselves soo much.. we need to bring them home.

Im only going to say one thing that comes to mind reading this..suck it up and grow a pair, this is the *kitten* you signed up for soldier/sailor/marine. We all signed the contract, by choice,we knew what we where getting into, so offing yourself , TO ME, is a weak minded way of handling things. :grumble:
  • daviddjhonna
    Options

As I had to learn the hard way.. Freedom isnt Free... there are way more twists and turns to how these campaigns begin and end up than you or I could ever decipher. Being a global police man is the small part of the job believe it or not. I will just say this, I paid with my health for what we have and I dont regret it or want to exchange it. I just want others to appreciate what they have and be thankful for those who gave even more than I to get it.

There is blowback and an increased risk of terrorism with us trotting around the globe acting like we are the big brother to all other countries..its nuts, it doesn't work, our founders warned us about this.. ..soldiers are making sacrifices I know and I appreciate it, and I have friends & family that serve and make those sacrifices - but they are not defending America's national security - the only time we should EVER go to war is when there is a war resolution created by congress (not the president saying.. 'hey I think Syria needs to be punished' or 'lets go invade libya because...well no reason needed there general public' ...

@sunofabeach14 - 5 years getting that degree.. countless papers and text read - I'm not going to even delve into it - I believe in the Austrian School Economics - you can be a Keynesian - I disagree respectfully but I'm not going to waist my time arguing about it because this just isn't the place for it.. its very very complicated, and variables are many and inconsistent.
    First, who are their alies (Libya, and Syria) in what way does it affect our allies, then last we are under a contract to assist our allies when ever they call ( yes it is a contract). So the question is, what arent you being told about the whole of that tangled mess? Syria and Libya are allies to Russia and or China and or North Korea I believe, currently we are unable to take on these countries head on, however their allies, whose airfields and supplies will be used by them in the event of military manuevers, are accessable. Its been done time and again by military strategists. Attack the supply chain ( in this case another country) and you have crippled your enemy.
  • MrTolerable
    Options

Im only going to say one thing that comes to mind reading this..suck it up and grow a pair, this is the *kitten* you signed up for soldier/sailor/marine. We all signed the contract, by choice,we knew what we where getting into, so offing yourself , TO ME, is a weak minded way of handling things. :grumble:

!!! wow.. I have friends that are soldiers that were suicidal! They are really tough people, but they saw things that.. were like really really bad.. not to mention civilians are dying constantly ... especially with the crazy drone strikes in Yemen and Pakistan..

We need to bring home the troops - war should be an absolute last measure and a measure only taken if we as a country are at risk - this policing the world nonsense will never end, and it would be one thing if our country had the capital to do it, but we are paying for these wars on Credit from China & Japan while inflating our currency through quantitative easing by the federal reserve.

...end the wars. its total madness.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I believe there is a big (no pun intended) spectrum with this. Should people that have weight feel that they are less deserving of happiness or aren't a beautiful person just because their outside doesn't match their inside, no. However, it seems to me that the whole fat acceptence thing has become a copout for people to be lazy and say this is the way I am and you have to accept me. That's B.S. People that are extremely overweight---I'm talking 65lbs or more, are not healthy. That much extra weight is a lot of stress for our bodies and creates many problems.

What really irritates me is people like Melissa Mccarthy that is an absolute huge, grossly, obese person and I've seen interviews where she says she and her family eat very healthy........BS! You can't be over 250lbs and have a truly healthy lifestyle. I don't believe any body that is as huge as she is is really happy. Many say they are but I believe they are truly lying to themselves because they are too afraid to change or too lazy to change. These are they types of people that I believe are trying to drive this whole fat acceptance thing and it is dangerous for our children! To see these fat, gross, obese celebs making all kinds of money is a bad influence. Kids will be like...see she/he's fat and successful why should I not stuff my face full of McDonald's.

I think fat acceptance is ok when it is trying to push against the media's force to say that you're only beautiful if you look like an anorexic model. To tell young girls that it's ok to actually have some curves and it's ok if you don't have a washboard stomach is a good thing but unfortunately it has gone much further and it has become a monster that is saying that being lazy, unhealthy and obese is ok. This is what we need to fight against..
  • daviddjhonna
    Options
    NO MORE MILITARY GUNK!! My head is beginning to hurt. This is about Fat Pride. I believe it should be renamed or who ever started it explain exactly what they mean by it and why they started it. That would cut sooo many arguments
  • the_great_beyond_
    the_great_beyond_ Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Fat people can't even get people to pay attention to them in their own thread.

SO SAD
  • MrTolerable
    Options

First, who are their alies (Libya, and Syria) in what way does it affect our allies, then last we are under a contract to assist our allies when ever they call ( yes it is a contract). So the question is, what arent you being told about the whole of that tangled mess? Syria and Libya are allies to Russia and or China and or North Korea I believe, currently we are unable to take on these countries head on, however their allies, whose airfields and supplies will be used by them in the event of military manuevers, are accessable. Its been done time and again by military strategists. Attack the supply chain ( in this case another country) and you have crippled your enemy.

First off, we should have ZERO ZERO ZERO allies, as the greatest Founder of all said, Thomas Jefferson, "alliance with none commerce with all". Look at our relationship with China.. they hated us and we built it up through a mutual hatred of Japan at the time because of WW2 and commerce...
    China has a huge presence in Syria and Libya.. who cares??! We don't need to attack any supply chain?! Yeah we almost fought a proxy war in Russia over Syria... my point is WHY ARE WE EVEN GIVING A FLYING HOOT? It doesn't effect our national interest, it puts our soldiers in harms way, and it waste money and CIVILIANS DIE IN WAR.

- I'm shocked by how callous your attitude about life is.

War is an evil terrible thing.. there is no *just war... some are just more excusable, and it should only be partaken in when AMERICA is at stake.. not any of our allies.

The entire middle east wouldn't give a flip about us for the most part if we just stayed out of it all... let Saudi Arabia and Israel do it.. Israel right now is so frustrated with America because of our meddling..

#bringhomethetroops
  • notamoment
    notamoment Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    If you love your body and you strut like a champion i say YAY FAT PRIDE!
  • daviddjhonna
    Options

!!! wow.. I have friends that are soldiers that were suicidal! They are really tough people, but they saw things that.. were like really really bad.. not to mention civilians are dying constantly ... especially with the crazy drone strikes in Yemen and Pakistan..

We need to bring home the troops - war should be an absolute last measure and a measure only taken if we as a country are at risk - this policing the world nonsense will never end, and it would be one thing if our country had the capital to do it, but we are paying for these wars on Credit from China & Japan while inflating our currency through quantitative easing by the federal reserve.

...end the wars. its total madness.
    You think I didnt see dead bodies, people getting their head cut off on aircraft carriers because they didnt pay enough attention. People getting crushed by landing gear falling due to a malfunction. Guys jumping over the side of an aircraft carrier because their girlfriend or wife left them. Or the fact that I was out to sea for a year straight and miss my sons first words and steps. Or how about this, being on a floating grey turd for so dang long you begin to think you imagined your family that is waiting for you stateside. I SURVIVED!!! Dang it and they will too. Get some help, talk to others but suicide is a cop out!!
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

Congrats on your degree. I have two graduate degrees, have been published, and have negotiated several billion dollars in international financings for the top investment banks, but I wasn't aware that this was a pissing contest so much as a discussion on the fat acceptance movement. Enjoy.
  • daviddjhonna
    Options
    If you love your body and you strut like a champion i say YAY FAT PRIDE!
    I LOVE IT!! :love:
  • MrTolerable
    Options

Congrats on your degree. I have two graduate degrees, have been published, and have negotiated several billion dollars in international financings for the top investment banks, but I wasn't aware that this was a pissing contest so much as a discussion on the fat acceptance movement. Enjoy.

lol well you won that pissing contest sir!
  • IcanIwill1
    IcanIwill1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Here is a Youtube link that just illuminates why Fat Pride is very needed

http://youtu.be/_Owi7FOPQaE

If large folks had to run the gauntlet of demeaning and insulting comments from strangers is it not about time they did something that validated them as people.

Its their life..leave them to live it however they wish.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

lol well you won that pissing contest sir!

Just trying to point out that it's best that we all keep it in our pants and focus instead on making cogent arguments
  • lookin4gains
    lookin4gains Posts: 1,762 Member
    Options
    I'm not one to judge. But being in medical field I see no prideful faces when suffering from coronary heart disease, joint pain, or any other obesity related medical issues. It's mostly regretful faces and scared looks. I am all for having confidence, and to each their own in their own life. But there is nothing to brag about when your risking your health.