How do you feel about fat pride?

Options

Replies

• SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I don't want to derail this thread...but da faq is a co-op?!

And if this will save me $$$ buying food ($200 a week lately - and I'm in just cutting stage) please elaborate intently

Basically it just comes down to the structure of the business. The suggestion that the mere act of shopping at a co-op is somehow healthier for you is akin to suggesting that you'll be healthier because you shop at a grocer that's a privately owned company versus a publicly traded corporation like Whole Foods. I'm all for quality grocers but I wouldn't confuse quality with health.

It really wasn't meant to be instructional. Not sure why you implicitly disagree that most Americans eat crappy food.

Another over-generalization with little to no meaning
  • velvet_violence
    Options
    Well I think higher quality food generally does help a person be healthier and some of the attributes in the food appear to assist with weight loss. I don't have time for a thorough search but:

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/best-diet-quality-counts/

To me, it's more about the owner not sourcing frankenfood.
  • velvet_violence
    Options

And if this will save me $$$ buying food ($200 a week lately - and I'm in just cutting stage) please elaborate intently

Basically it just comes down to the structure of the business. The suggestion that the mere act of shopping at a co-op is somehow healthier for you is akin to suggesting that you'll be healthier because you shop at a grocer that's a privately owned company versus a publicly traded corporation like Whole Foods. I'm all for quality grocers but I wouldn't confuse quality with health.

It really wasn't meant to be instructional. Not sure why you implicitly disagree that most Americans eat crappy food.

yes this thread is full of them
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options

yes this thread is full of them

*looks around in mock confusion*
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Personally I just feel that it's another form of Identity politics, political arguments that focus upon the self-interest and perspectives of self-identified social interest groups and ways in which people's politics may be shaped by aspects of their identity through loosely correlated social organizations. Examples include social organizations based on race, class, religion, gender, ethnicity, ideology, nation, sexual orientation, culture, information preference, history, musical or literary preference, medical conditions, professions or hobbies. Not all members of any given group are necessarily involved in identity politics.

Minority influence is a central component of identity politics. Minority influence is a form of social influence which takes place when a majority is being influenced to accept the beliefs or behavior of a minority. Unlike other forms of influence this usually involves a personal shift in private opinion.

If you're going to lift stuff from Wikipedia, at least cite your source. This post should have been preceded with "Personally I copied and pasted this statement and passed it off as my own thoughts..." rather than "Personally I just feel that...".

Just sayin'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identity_politics
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
    Well I think higher quality food generally does help a person be healthier and some of the attributes in the food appear to assist with weight loss. I don't have time for a thorough search but:

I would define "quality" in terms of nutrition, not its source or whether it is organic. Using terms like "Frankenfood," while entertaining and often effective in terms of rhetorical impact, don't help form a cogent and logically sound position.

I shop at standard grocery stores, often purchase jarred, frozen, and canned foods, and refuse to pay more for organic items because the foods that I do purchase, when eaten in the proper combination, produce the taste and results that I want while minimizing cost. You are welcome to eat what you wish, but attempting to appear superior because you buy from coops seems somewhat overreaching.

Edit: missed a comma
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    Really like anything else so cares fat pride,straight pride,gay pride...if they are happy then it's non of our business to judge there way of life.

a ray of light appears
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

I would define "quality" in terms of nutrition, not its source or whether it is organic. Using terms like "Frankenfood," while entertaining and often effective in terms of rhetorical impact, don't help form a cogent and logically sound position.

I shop at standard grocery stores, often purchase jarred, frozen, and canned foods, and refuse to pay more for organic items because the foods that I do purchase, when eaten in the proper combination, produce the taste and results that I want while minimizing cost. You are welcome to eat what you wish, but attempting to appear superior because you buy from coops seems somewhat overreaching.

I tend to take a different view on quality (not saying yours is right or wrong). I'd consider a nice dry aged steak to be a quality product, just like I'd consider a nice bottle of aged balsamic vinegar to be a quality product. In my mind, "quality" is completely separate from nutritional content. Steak is obviously very dense in calories and too much aged balsamic and vanilla ice cream can wreak havoc on your diet - but I'd still view these as high quality products. When it comes to vegetables, freshness plays a big role. The same goes for meat as well - if you've ever had very fresh chicken, for instance, the texture and taste are very different than the usual stuff we find at the store that was killed days ago. But at the end of the day, none of this has to do with the nutritional content of the foods or how it affects your health. Likewise, you can buy your food at the nicest grocery store in town, but that really doesn't mean you're doing anything to improve your health.
  • MrTolerable
    Options
    Really like anything else so cares fat pride,straight pride,gay pride...if they are happy then it's non of our business to judge there way of life.

a ray of light appears

Its not apples to apples - they are born gay or straight - unless its a medical condition your not born fat, and you can't be truly happy when your fat - happiness isn't a buzzword its a lifestyle.
  • MrTolerable
    Options

I tend to take a different view on quality (not saying yours is right or wrong). I'd consider a nice dry aged steak to be a quality product, just like I'd consider a nice bottle of aged balsamic vinegar to be a quality product. In my mind, "quality" is completely separate from nutritional content. Steak is obviously very dense in calories and too much aged balsamic and vanilla ice cream can wreak havoc on your diet - but I'd still view these as high quality products. When it comes to vegetables, freshness plays a big role. The same goes for meat as well - if you've ever had very fresh chicken, for instance, the texture and taste are very different than the usual stuff we find at the store that was killed days ago. But at the end of the day, none of this has to do with the nutritional content of the foods or how it affects your health. Likewise, you can buy your food at the nicest grocery store in town, but that really doesn't mean you're doing anything to improve your health.

^my thing is how can there be a whole market for this *organic* food and it not make a major difference?

That is why I shell out money at the grocer like I'm making it rain on a working girl.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

I think that's a fair view, and I'd certainly not quibble over the desirability of a dry aged steak, an aged balsamic, or a great bottle of wine, but I think we delude ourselves when we use that concept of "quality" and equate it with better nutrition. I became overweight to begin with on some fantastic steaks and Cabernet.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I think that's a fair view, and I'd certainly not quibble over the desirability of a dry aged steak, an aged balsamic, or a great bottle of wine, but I think we delude ourselves when we use that concept of "quality" and equate it with better nutrition. I became overweight to begin with on some fantastic steaks and Cabernet.

I hear you and agree wholeheartedly. I put on quite a few pounds over the past few years drinking some of the highest quality IPAs around. :laugh: While I'm all for quality eating, healthy eating and more nutritious eating is a completely separate issue.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

I hear you and agree wholeheartedly. I put on quite a few pounds over the past few years drinking some of the highest quality IPAs around. :laugh: While I'm all for quality eating, healthy eating and more nutritious eating is a completely separate issue.

Here's to a good IPA :drinker:
  • gmcoulombe
    gmcoulombe Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm all for people loving themselves where they are at and being proud of whatever it is that makes them who they are. But we should not be defining ourselves by our looks! So to be proud and accepting of being unhealthy just doesn't fly with me. I agree with not bullying or shaming people who are over or under weight. But to be joyful and supportive of choosing to be overweight?... no way.

And to connect Fat Pride with Gay Pride to me is ridiculous. People have the choice to be fat and if there is a medical issue they can seek medical advise.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options

a ray of light appears

Its not apples to apples - they are born gay or straight - unless its a medical condition your not born fat, and you can't be truly happy when your fat - happiness isn't a buzzword its a lifestyle.

more than two sexualities exist

& you cannot claim to know what happiness means for all human beings
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options

you are a weird bird, not knowing what a co-op is (I guess cause you are young and presumably live in a smallish place and have not traveled much?) But to think you can't be fat and happy? Of course you can, presuming you aren't horrifically shallow or having issues with mortality. What an odd concept, and how would you even know since you aren't fat anyway...
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with fat acceptance/fat pride--if someone is happy the way they are, good on them! It's a blessing to feel happy in your own skin. I sometimes wish I could get over myself and feel happy with the way I am at each stage of my weight loss progression rather than being so focused on the endgame that I'm dissatisfied with the in-progress Muffin.

What I really hate is fat shaming. Some people think they need to point out the weight problems of others and make them feel bad about it because they think it motivates the overweight person to lose. These people feel like they're doing their friends and family a service. :noway:
  • MrTolerable
    Options

you are a weird bird, not knowing what a co-op is (I guess cause you are young and presumably live in a smallish place and have not traveled much?) But to think you can't be fat and happy? Of course you can, presuming you aren't horrifically shallow or having issues with mortality. What an odd concept, and how would you even know since you aren't fat anyway...

yeah the tumbleweed problem is outta control here in far off Philadelphia... :huh:

And one of the ways I know you can't be happy being fat is the same way I acquire knowledge so rapidly - I'm willing to learn and ask questions when I don't know something..

And yeah I'm sticking to that, there will be exceptions for such a large generalization but its marginal - if your fat your not happy-its the reason why you set goals and are trying to change it in the first place. And if you aren't trying to actively change it then your just fat and lethargic and once again - not happy.

I'm trying to be nicer ya butt.

@salembambi - yeah I'm well aware there are more than two sexualities.. regardless its not apples to apples.. apples to oranges at its closest.

And your right I don't know what happiness means for all human beings but for people that are fat - they are not happy I'd say in virtually every case.