How do you feel about fat pride?

Options

Replies

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    In general, how I feel about the fat acceptance movement: I believe it is extremely detrimental.
    In that article: Dr Linda Bacon is the author of 'Health at every size' has got some serious backtracking to do. Recent studies have found that obese/overweight individuals who appear healthy (healthy cholesterol, blood pressure, etc) are still unhealthier than their normal-weight counterparts. Here is an editorial discussing several of the recent studies with analysis written in layman's terms: http://time.com/82848/theres-no-such-thing-as-healthy-obesity-says-study/

We don't want anyone to hate themselves. We don't want anyone to bully anyone else. Those are easy statements. However, when someone is slowly (or quickly) killing themselves, it should not be accepted. That person should be encouraged to become healthier, to help themselves or get the help they need.

We would not be okay with an anorexia acceptance movement, but I see the two as comparable. It is a controllable weight problem that is out of hand and potentially rooted in psychological problems (such as depression, OCD, anxiety, poor coping mechanisms, abuse). We help anorexics create a healthy relationship with food. We encourage them to seek counseling, create realistic body expectations, and teach them about the hidden damage their eating and exercise patterns are doing to their bodies. I do not believe anyone should ever bully, shame, or otherwise antagonize someone who is obese or anorexic. Those people need help. Fat acceptance does not help. It may bandage over some self-esteem in the short term, but it ignores and normalizes the problems someone is going to experience because of their weight. Fat acceptance creates an “Us against Them” subculture.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I'm seeing a lot of "It's unhealthy to be fat!" Which implies that you shouldn't be proud of yourself if you're unhealthy? I'm sure even if I make unhealthy choices, I could still feel proud of myself. I was beautiful when I was fat. I ate healthy food (just a whole lot of it). I lived a full life and contributed to my community.

Also, what if a person has lost over 100 pounds and is still 400+? Shouldn't he feel pride and love his body, even though it's still obese?

It's okay to be who you are, even if you're making unhealthy choices in some area of your life.

My 2 cents in a public forum. :flowerforyou:

This is almost exactly what I've thinking as I read this topic.

If you read these forums very much, especially the threads about nutrition, it's easy to get caught up in the notion that acheiving the ultimate perfect health is the proper focus of ones life. I think you can be adequately healthy without a diet that is perfect down to the microgram of every vitamin and mineral. You can be adequately healthy without doing the perfect amount and type of exercise. And you can be adequately healthy without being at the optimal weight for your height.

I know this site is for seekers of fitness and some of the people on here are amazing in what they have achieved, but many of these people's passion is fitness. What if your passions are something else? You shouldn't be made to think you have a character flaw because you prefer to devote yourself to, say, art or music instead of fitness and health and as a result carry somewhat too much weight.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Why would anyone be proud of something that is causing them physical disability, making them sick, and shortening their lives?

I'm happier having lost 65# with 15 more to go.

"Fat pride" is a total cop out.

This ^^^

Everyone is built different - some people will always be "heavy".

However... if you are consistently eating 2000-3000 calories over your "maintenance", becoming way less mobile than your peers and eventually becoming a burden on your friends, family, and children.

Discipline is becoming a word that I hear less and less these days.

By the way... the reason that I am "obese", have BF of about 31%, and have 30-35 lbs to lose is not because I am a "victim of society"... it is because I have not had enough discipline and didn't want to be really healthy enough.

I TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE WAY I AM
  • allofme32
    allofme32 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Lets get real. Lets speak truth. Coming from a person who has been overweight all of her life, it is no fun being overweight and out of shape. If people claim to be proud of being overweight, they are lying to themselves.

However, If the movement supports feeling good about yourself no matter how much you weigh, I am for it. Too many people have been the butt of jokes and ridicule based on their weight.

I strongly believe that part of feeling good about yourself is motivating yourself to do better. Doing good things for your body like exercising and eating clean. Feel good enough about yourself to do good things for your body and your health.

Not letting your weight stop you from going out there and trying new things like "Zumba"!
    I was the only fat girl at Zumba class and I rocked it!!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Being fat isn't always the same as being unhealthy. Being thin isn't always healthy.

Fat pride seems to be about tying self esteem to something BESIDES your weight just as Black Pride isn't about black supremacy and Gay Pride isn't about an anti-straight agenda.

I think its healthy and, if anything, can be far more motivating when it comes to healthy behavior than fat shaming.

I agree with this completely.

I do think "fat pride" is not a term that I'd choose, personally. "Body positive" is better, in my opinion.

Fat shaming didn't help me to lose weight, increasing my confidence and health while accepting myself did.

In my mind, the only negative about true "fat pride" is that it could feed a denial mentality that could help justify or ignore serious health conditions. While speaking of that, however, I think it's important to note that not everyone experiences the same weight related health problems. At 32 years old I weighed 300 lb and I did not have hypertension, Type II diabetes, PCOS, etc. Many (if not most) women my size did. Health and weight vary.
  • the_great_beyond_
    the_great_beyond_ Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I know someone who REFUSES to go to the gym because she feels too fat to show up. She feels fat-shamed. If she was more accepting of herself regardless of her weight, she actually would be healthier. THAT is the healthy expression of this movement, IMO.
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I just read this article http://www.sbs.com.au/thefeed/blog/2014/05/26/fat-pride-growing-movement-people-looking-fat-acceptance

What are your thoughts on fat pride? Do you think fat and healthy can go hand in hand? It seems to be an increasing (pardon the pun) movement at present.

Personally, I don't know if I believe someone can necessarily be fat and 'healthy'...or more I guess, in the best health that they can be, and away from potential risks-that's one of my motivations for wanting to change, I had some serious health risks and I got scared about my future. Of course losing some of it has improved other areas of my life (mental health, relationships etc), but above all health was just what had to come first, so in that respect I guess I don't think it is a good thing.

Barbaric... fat is disgusting and repulsive.. sure some people will struggle with weight and individually when dealing with people I can show empathy.. but as a whole the fat culture in America is so sad so terrible, and I'm still appalled stores don't bother even carrying clothes in a size 28" waist for men! When pressed as to why! "No one is that skinny!"

UGH!
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Bullying anyone for their weight is not ok, no matter if they are big or small. Fat people go through a lot- they are discriminated against quite a bit. If you want to be/or are fat, that's fine with me.

What sucks is if/when you begin to have health problems because of it. It also sucks if you have children who mimic possible bad behavior and also become fat. Unless you are a child, being fat is a personal choice for most.

And personal choices are none of my business.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Wow
  • JT_Texas
    JT_Texas Posts: 9
    Options
    Personally I just feel that it's another form of Identity politics, political arguments that focus upon the self-interest and perspectives of self-identified social interest groups and ways in which people's politics may be shaped by aspects of their identity through loosely correlated social organizations. Examples include social organizations based on race, class, religion, gender, ethnicity, ideology, nation, sexual orientation, culture, information preference, history, musical or literary preference, medical conditions, professions or hobbies. Not all members of any given group are necessarily involved in identity politics.

Minority influence is a central component of identity politics. Minority influence is a form of social influence which takes place when a majority is being influenced to accept the beliefs or behavior of a minority. Unlike other forms of influence this usually involves a personal shift in private opinion.

It's just like the anti-bullying that everyone keeps talking about, people want to place labels on everything and now if you don't accept it then your guilty of bullying, what nonsense!
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I was far happier as a fat person. With my looks, with my health, with my overall mental well-being. Being thin has made me look like a small person wearing a giant wrinkly skin suit, my blood pressure went up and my blood sugar levels did the same (despite eating less sugar and no longer being obese which is supposed to bring it down), and I'm just generally sad all the time....probably mostly because of how gross I think I look. At least changing isn't such an ordeal since I got rid of my mirrors....as long as i don't look down......all that to say, I had a much easier time mustering up pride in myself for any reason when i was big. Going back to that isn't an option for various reasons, but I'd be all over it if I could. More power to 'em
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Even at my fattest I was not into the whole fat pride movement.
  • forkofpower
    forkofpower Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I see nothing wrong with it. It's not like they're advocating that everyone be fat, or that being fat is the healthiest state -- just that fat people also deserve to have pride in themselves, which they do.
    "Fat acceptance" =/= "Fat celebration"

Fat acceptance doesn't mean that you can be proud of yourself BECAUSE you're fat, it means you can be proud of yourself EVEN if you're fat. There's a slight difference.

Basically this.
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options

Fat acceptance doesn't mean that you can be proud of yourself BECAUSE you're fat, it means you can be proud of yourself EVEN if you're fat. There's a slight difference.

^^^this

i respectfully agree.

well worded!
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options

• Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Do you think fat and healthy can go hand in hand?

I don't have anything to say about the rest of this post but I can tell you 100% without a doubt that fat and healthy can go hand in hand. How do I know? Because I am fat and healthy, and I know this because I just recently had my yearly physical done and my doctor actually shook my hand to congratulate me on my perfect health, and told me to continue on with what I am doing and not worry about my weight. So yes. Fat and heathly can go hand in hand. Just like skinny and unhealthy can go hand in hand too.

I think that if someone wants to be accepted as they are it is absolutely fine, everyone should be allowed to love them-self no matter their size.
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I was far happier as a fat person. With my looks, with my health, with my overall mental well-being. Being thin has made me look like a small person wearing a giant wrinkly skin suit, my blood pressure went up and my blood sugar levels did the same (despite eating less sugar and no longer being obese which is supposed to bring it down), and I'm just generally sad all the time....probably mostly because of how gross I think I look. At least changing isn't such an ordeal since I got rid of my mirrors....as long as i don't look down......all that to say, I had a much easier time mustering up pride in myself for any reason when i was big. Going back to that isn't an option for various reasons, but I'd be all over it if I could. More power to 'em

I just wanted to say that I don't think you look gross at all, and I hope you find happiness again! You've done a lot to get yourself healthy and I am keeping my fingers crossed that the numbers that frustrate you will even out over time. Be patient with yourself and be proud of your majorly significant accomplishment! Being a healthy weight doesn't solve everything, but the longevity it's given you and options? I think that is pretty empowering, too.
  • laynerich15
    laynerich15 Posts: 1,918 Member
    Options
    My comments got deleted