Why is everyone so scared of weighing their food?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
My husband has decided to lose weight, but he doesn't want to weigh his food (or log his food really). He said if he stops losing, he'll consider it.

I don't get it... Why not start with something that works if you're really determined to do it?

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    everyone thinks they are the exception
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Because some people, especially those recovering from an eating disorder, find the food scale to be a trigger for the disorder.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Or its just extra time and effort not really needed....not for me at least :)
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Weighing can be a real hassle and is tough to deal with eating when away from your scale.

Estimating works just fine too, especially once you become well practiced at it.
  • KaelaLee88
    KaelaLee88 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    My Husband said exactly the same :)

Believe it or not, it has worked and he's now not far off his target weight. I have weighed and measured EVERYTHING and I have not lost like he has.

Let him do his own thing and then be his support network if and when he does need your help counting later on.

Kaela x
  • nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Two weeks ago I measured everything with measuring spoons and cups. I got a cheapo scale for the heck of it and I was shocked. That 3 tbsp of popcorn I was measuring with a tablespoon? It's twice the serving size of 36 g.

That one time where I saw the difference between weighing and measuring was enough to convert me.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    My husband has decided to lose weight, but he doesn't want to weigh his food (or log his food really). He said if he stops losing, he'll consider it.

I don't get it... Why not start with something that works if you're really determined to do it?
    Well, if he's losing without weighing his food, then so what? Leave him alone.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting works just as well without a scale -- or even this website. You don't have to accurately weigh your food you just need to be consistent and count things the same way each time. If you're not losing eat less.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    i dont have one for these reasons;
    -my meals are prepared for my whole family not just me, weighing wouldnt give me a much more accurate calorie count than volume/estimating since its all prepared in one big batch
    -i think for many people getting a scale is what would push them over the line into the stereotypical "health-nut" category
    -weighing food for the rest of my life seems much less sustainable then learning how to eyeball appropriate portion sizes
    -i wont always be able to access a food scale
    -estimating/volume measuring has worked very well for me so far
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    Because we're men.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • defauIt
    defauIt Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    It's not a matter of being scared, it's a matter of it not being necessary for everyone.

I lost 95 lbs without weighing a single thing or logging anything outside of a mental calorie count I'd do in my head. Most people don't have that kind of success but it's certainly not impossible.

That said, I am now weighing and recording food a bit more as I'm trying to keep my protein intake at a certain level in order to properly fuel my workouts.
  • BookMaven79
    BookMaven79 Posts: 41
    Options
    Because it's intimidating, time-consuming, and some people just don't want to do it. If he's successful without it, then don't worry over it. If he can't lose and gets frustrated even though he's doing the right thing, then weighing is the next step to see if he's overeating.

I think it is also a valuable skill to be able to eyeball appropriate portions. So for some, weighing is something done for a few weeks, and not done again. Or used only for very calorie-dense foods, like butters, nuts, or sweets.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    So GLAD you've started this topic! I'm one of those "scared" to weigh my food...because it seems so obsessive and "it don't take ALL that" and that's too ummmm, type A-ish stuff kind of thinking and doing...YET, I know most people who do weight their foods/drinks--I've seen with my very own eyes how much success they consistently have. I don't do it because quite frankly, I think that's a "sign" of REAL commitment to this weight-loss thang and perhaps the reality (for me) is I've NOT been a seriously commitment to the cause as I should and could be.:indifferent: :noway: :blushing: Weighing my food, ugh....that's some IMB stuff. I can't wait to read more replies!

FYI...IMB=I mean business
  • Francl27
    Options

Well, he has a lot to lose, so it's pretty easy so far to lose by just changing his habits a little. I guess we'll see how it goes down the road.
    Because we're men.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

:laugh:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Or its just extra time and effort not really needed....not for me at least :)

+1
  • Francl27
    Options
    So GLAD you've started this topic! I'm one of those "scared" to weigh my food...because it seems so obsessive and "it don't take ALL that" and that's too ummmm, yupe A-ish stuff type of thinking...YET, I know most people who do weight their foods/drinks--I've seen with my very own eyes how much success they consistently have. I don't do it because quite frankly, I think that's a "sign" of REAL commitment to this weight-loss thang and perhaps the reality (for me) is I've NOT been a seriously commitment to the cause as I should and could be.:indifferent: :noway: :blushing: Weighing my food, ugh....that's some IMB stuff. I can't wait to read more replies!

Yeah it's my feeling about the whole thing I guess. Willing to make a few efforts but not to be totally committed... which I get.. sort of. We'll see how it goes, lol!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Lots of people are against it who don't have a lot to lose and should be weighing..

I know a lot irl who refuse to do it...saying they are just fine without it...they aren't really...constantly up 10...back down etc..and inconsistent logging.

I think the key here for your husband is he made the choice himself...

first step done...now if he logs consistently great..and when he does slow down on losing then he said he is willing to do it then which is really when it is required...

When I started I wasn't weighing my food either and losing 1/2lb a week...I wanted 1lb a week...so I started weighing...continue to weigh and I don't see an end to it atm (at home anyway)
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    So GLAD you've started this topic! I'm one of those "scared" to weigh my food...because it seems so obsessive and "it don't take ALL that" and that's too ummmm, yupe A-ish stuff type of thinking...YET, I know most people who do weight their foods/drinks--I've seen with my very own eyes how much success they consistently have. I don't do it because quite frankly, I think that's a "sign" of REAL commitment to this weight-loss thang and perhaps the reality (for me) is I've NOT been a seriously commitment to the cause as I should and could be.:indifferent: :noway: :blushing: Weighing my food, ugh....that's some IMB stuff. I can't wait to read more replies!

Yeah it's my feeling about the whole thing I guess. Willing to make a few efforts but not to be totally committed... which I get.. sort of. We'll see how it goes, lol!

I'm sorry, but how is it up there on that high horse of yours?

Just because someone doesn't want to use a scale doesn't mean that they aren't committed.
  • running4thehigh
    running4thehigh Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I don't mind weighing my food, it's weighing myself that I have problems with.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Well, he has a lot to lose, so it's pretty easy so far to lose by just changing his habits a little. I guess we'll see how it goes down the road.
    Would you want him telling you what to do if this were reversed? If he starts struggling and asks for your help, offer this suggestion. Until that day (if it ever comes), shut up about it.