Why is everyone so scared of weighing their food?

Options

Replies

• Jarahal
    Jarahal Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I dunno, I love doing it, cause I want to know exactly how much Im consuming, estimation leads to overeating.
  • phoebezeng
    phoebezeng Posts: 8
    Options
    Some people think it's not necessary to do so ,like the whole thing suddenly become ' dead serious ' once you put a scale on the table and weight everything you eat ... Some claim weighing their food would make eating less enjoyable because it makes them become mindful of the amount of food they eat.

But I say it is necessary to weight things just couple of times to get a idea of , for example , how much is 1lb of beef, or how much is a cup of peas etc. Once it's done I can deal with just a estimation. I would slightly overestimate the amount of food I eat because we tend to underestimate.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I weigh for my husband, but not in a "treat him like a child way".

I'll ask him something like "hey do you want some ice cream" when I get it for myself. and if he says yes, I go portion it out and give him exactly one serving in a little dessert cup. He's learning pretty quick that what he would portion out for himself was about 2 servings. He stops with what I give him and doesn't go get himself seconds, so he's sated with the smaller amount.

I serve dinner buffet style since it's just the two of us. I put my plate on the scale and weigh everything as I add it. Since I'm making two of everything, he is getting a potato close to my size, his steak might be slightly bigger, etc. If he wants seconds, quite often the only thing available is more vegetables. Of course he is drinking sweetened tea and I'm doing water and we we aren't around each other for breakfast, lunch, or snacks.

I don't nag him about anything he eats, but I wouldn't be surprised if he dropped a little weight as "collateral damage" to the changes I'm making.
  • laciemn
    laciemn Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am using the scale ALL the time. I am quite confident I will eventually gain the ability to measure and estimate quite accurately, but until that time has come, I will continue to use the scale.

However, some people have an approach of "just eat less than before" or "have a small portion." My grandpa once said it very simply : if you usually eat 2 hamburgers, just eat one." Things like that do work! I prefer to be accurate, however. I can't possibly imagine risking a regain from inaccurate estimates.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    My husband has decided to lose weight, but he doesn't want to weigh his food (or log his food really). He said if he stops losing, he'll consider it.

I don't get it... Why not start with something that works if you're really determined to do it?

Back in the day - People were able to lose weight before the invention of fitness gadgets, websites, trackers and scales ect. Although they are wonderful tools to use, they are not necessary for everyone. It's really an individual preference.
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    My husband has decided to lose weight, but he doesn't want to weigh his food (or log his food really). He said if he stops losing, he'll consider it.

I don't get it... Why not start with something that works if you're really determined to do it?

It isn't for you to get. This is his personal journey. As long as he is happy with the way things are going for him, your only job as a spouse is to be supportive of him. Remember, what works for one person, may not work for another. I wish him much success.
  • Amerielle
    Amerielle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I don't use a food scale because I can lose weight without it. I like to do things the easiest way possible. If at some point I'm not getting the results I want, I will consider a food scale as my next step. I say if it isn't broken...
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options

Think about the vast number of folk who maintain a healthy weight or have lost weight WITHOUT weighing their food. Using a kitchen scale as a tool for weight loss is simply that, a tool. Seriously, if it works for you fine but let your husband make his own decisions as to how he will deal with his weight loss journey. There is more than one way to skin a cat! During the weight loss portion of my fitness journey, I weighed my foods when possible for about 2 months. The first two months and last month I did not. I still lost weight at the same rate I should have. I only used the scale because I already had one for certain recipes and saw it being recommended on MFP.

Would I recommend weighing food for weight loss? NO, unless the person is doing what they think they should be doing and is not losing weight AND then only if they asked my opinion. Weighing your food is not convenient if you eat out a lot, travel a lot, or live between multiple homes as we do. IMO, weighing takes away the enjoyment of food as well. It's far more useful to learn portion size and control rather than depend on weighing your food. It is also important to learn the value of activity in relation to what you can eat in a day.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options

Well, if he's losing without weighing his food, then so what? Leave him alone.

Well, he has a lot to lose, so it's pretty easy so far to lose by just changing his habits a little. I guess we'll see how it goes down the road.
    Would you want him telling you what to do if this were reversed? If he starts struggling and asks for your help, offer this suggestion. Until that day (if it ever comes), shut up about it.

^^^^^THIS
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Because a lot of things work. Starting with something that you see a chore, or are scared of (?? seriously :huh:), seems silly.

I lost without weighing food. I see weighing everything I eat forever as impractical as giving up wine forever. So I did neither while losing weight because I wanted to form lifelong habits.
  • gieshagirl
    gieshagirl Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    didn't think I needed it either....but when I began to weigh and measure everything....wow was I surprised!! this was part of my delusion that I didn't need it. trust me...the weigh and measure is super important!!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I'm in the "not weighing your food" camp, but I admit to being a little conflicted about it.

The reasons I don't weigh:

1- All parts of the deficit equation are estimates. Your BMR/TDEE are estimates. So are your calorie burns. How much precision can really be gained by attempting to be accurate with only your food intake?

2-The manner in which I'm trying (and slowly succeeding) to lose weight is to adopt the habits I intend to keep for the rest of my life. I don't see weighing every morsel of food to be a desireable habit for the long term. I'm trying my best not to have to resort to that.

3-Laziness. And this also goes for measuring with cups and spoons, too. I don't want to make extra dishes that have to be washed. If I can eyeball my portions, then I don't have to wash the things I used to measure or weight them with.

4-Admittedly shallow, but I'm a little embarrased to be seen weighing my food.

Hmmm.

1-So, because you are going to have (let's throw out a wild-*kitten* guess) ~20% variance in your calorie allowance estimates anyway, it's a good idea to not try to limit that variance as much as possible because you can never get it to 0%? I disagree. If you are as accurate as you can be (i.e. confident) with your intake, it would make it easier to identify where other estimates might be off and know where to make adjustments.

2-Weighing some food doesn't mean weighing all food. Many people who weigh only do it at home, and some only weigh certain foods. I don't bother weighing lettuce, for example. I also don't weigh at restaurants. Obviously, weighing is probably not terribly practical if you almost always eat out.

3-Psst - one big reason to weigh is because you get precise measurements for a dish without having to dirty more dishes. I love to bake and a scale is a godsend for consistent results. Just weigh into one bowl. I guess if you don't do mise en place and are putting ingredients into a pot/pan on the range that's an issue.

4-Yeah, I can see this one.

Basically, it's a personal decision and can be a useful tool. But, only if using it doesn't drive you away from moving towards a better diet.

I like it because I know how much I can eat and because I R a scientist and like to be as precise as possible. Helps me to know that yesterday's fluctuation is just that and not a sudden fat gain OR loss and I am on target.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Ok, I get it, you can lose weight without a scale and without logging... I'm just wondering how sustainable it is long term?

Everyone I know who lost weight that way still think that eating a cookie or ice cream will mess up their diet. I can't imagine how that would be sustainable long term. I mean... I'm sure if I never ate sweets I wouldn't really need to weigh my food to lose weight either... but that wouldn't be much fun and frankly, me being me... I'd probably gain the weigh back later.

I guess we'll see how it works out (but yeah, he's a man, he got that on his side).
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Ok, I get it, you can lose weight without a scale and without logging... I'm just wondering how sustainable it is long term?

Everyone I know who lost weight that way still think that eating a cookie or ice cream will mess up their diet. I can't imagine how that would be sustainable long term. I mean... I'm sure if I never ate sweets I wouldn't really need to weigh my food to lose weight either... but that wouldn't be much fun and frankly, me being me... I'd probably gain the weigh back later.

I guess we'll see how it works out (but yeah, he's a man, he got that on his side).

Newsflash: You are you and other people are not you. Leave your poor husband alone. Gah.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options

do you mean how sustainable is weight loss in the long term without a scale?

if thats what your asking then i believe it to be more sustainable. if you can accurately estimate portion sizes then we've established that you can still lose weight, so its not a stretch to say that you could maintain weight using the same practice.

i still eat everything i did before i started tracking calories, just less. one cookie isnt going to mess anyone up, your friends just seem to be a little uneducated when it comes to nutrition (as is anyone who thinks eating one of something will make them fat again)

ETA; i say more sustainable because i cant imagine weighing food for the rest of your life as a desirable notion, it seems to me one would be more likely to stop counting calories if they had to pre-weigh most of their foods. this is just my opinion though, im sure for some the opposite may be true
  • Sherbear1109
    Sherbear1109 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    i dont have one for these reasons;
    -my meals are prepared for my whole family not just me, weighing wouldnt give me a much more accurate calorie count than volume/estimating since its all prepared in one big batch
    -i think for many people getting a scale is what would push them over the line into the stereotypical "health-nut" category
    -weighing food for the rest of my life seems much less sustainable then learning how to eyeball appropriate portion sizes
    -i wont always be able to access a food scale
    -estimating/volume measuring has worked very well for me so far

All these reasons are why I don't weigh my food, too. Not to mention the extra time involved with weighing everything first.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Weighing food isn't necessary to lose weight. Unless you're not losing like you should be, there's no reason to think you're underestimating what you're consuming. All that matters is, "when I think I'm eating x calories, I lose x lbs per week." If it works for him, as it works for many, what difference does it make?

I weigh my food about half of the time, and measure the other half, depending on the food. However, I can see why people don't want to do it unless they absolutely have to. It's a hassle. Let him do what he wants - it's his body, not yours.
  • dsalveson
    dsalveson Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I think people who have never used a kitchen scale don't realize how user-friendly they are, so it just seems like an extra hassle. I also think they think it's a tedious and unnecessary process and that the discrepancies between weighing and whatever method they're currently using would be negligible. Of course you don't have to weigh your food to lose weight, but once you start you realize *not* weighing it is far more tedious as it forces you to base everything off trial and error..
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Don't need to.

Of course my last 10K I came in well below target, and my current half marathon time is ahead of plan.

Monitor the important metrics, and as long as they're working out then don't add superfluous activity that doesn't add value.